Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Thursday, October 27, 2011

You Do Not Speak to Herman Cain Unless Herman Cain Speaks to You First

Posted by on Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Who could have possibly predicted that a guy who battled against tougher drunk driving laws would turn out to be an asshole? Think Progress linked to the New York Times this morning:

And then there was that e-mail to the staff about traveling in a car with Mr. Cain: “Do not speak to him unless you are spoken to,” the memo said.

“I found it odd,” said a former staff member who liked to prep Mr. Cain for appearances while driving. The aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, quit not long afterward, citing the e-mail as one of the deciding factors.

You should read the rest of the piece and then reflect on the fact that some polls continue to show this guy in the lead.

(Via the very funny @theHERMANCAIN on Twitter.)

Zebes 1
So I guess that whole "Well, I'll vote for the guy I'd like to have a beer with" rubric of candidate likeability is no longer applicable.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on October 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Thomas Guy 2
Wait--don't we want Cain or Perry or Bachmann to win the nomination, Paul? I certainly do. That'd mean an easy re-election for Obama.
Posted by Thomas Guy on October 27, 2011 at 11:10 AM · Report this
I don't know the context, but I do know this. Standing orders for my employees working in customers homes are not to speak to homeowners unless spoken to by them after initial good mornings or notifications that the employee is leaving for lunch or some other reason. Some clients have a stupid notion of superiority to tradesmen, which it isn't my business or that of my men to correct. Some simply want not to be bothered as they go about their day. In the vast majority of cases this rule isn't tested, since most clients are decent people with basic social skills. Most can engage in a conversation and gracefully end an unwanted one. And my employees are skilled craftsmen with time and budget constraints they wish to meet that long conversations about weather or the Golden Lab coming down the hall won't help. But it came about from a couple of testy clients objecting to talkative employees, and I cheerfully stand by it.

Political bias and the unlikeliness of his nomination aside, Cain is running a large business as well as running for president. A memo recognizing that he may not wish to be interrupted with small talk while going over financials for either or on a conference call with his board or political advisors may not be the political dynamite you think it is, Constant.
Posted by Seattleblues on October 27, 2011 at 11:28 AM · Report this
For anybody who has ever worked a fast food job at a second-tier national chain, think of Herman Cain as your manager's manager's manager. Pretty much the last person in the world you would want to see walk into your store.
Posted by Proteus on October 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM · Report this
@3 - I have to agree with you. Not that I like having to defend Cain since he is an awful human being planning to do awful things if he, God forbid, becomes president. I understand that being constantly in the public, one would want some quiet time. I think a nicely worded memo asking for no interaction so the candidate can have some peace would have been a much better idea. This makes him sound like an king who can't be bothered by his minions.
Posted by Bugnroolet on October 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM · Report this
blip 6
@3 Unless your clients are political candidates and your employees are tasked with prepping your clients for debates and public speaking appearances, your example is oranges to apples, as Herman Cain might say. If this turns out to be a problem for Mr. Cain it will be his problem alone (although I do hope he manages to win the nomination), so I don't think anyone is too worried about it. It's just an interesting tale in the exciting saga of "WTF is Herman Cain Thinking?"
Posted by blip on October 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Keekee 7
Seattleblues sure is proud of his status as a Job-Creator.
Posted by Keekee on October 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Cascadian 8
@3 and 5, Cain is not currently running a large business. He's no longer a CEO and hasn't been on any corporate board since 2008 as far as I can tell. He's a professional speaker with a business background, and he most certainly does not have the pressing schedule and responsibilities of an active executive.
Posted by Cascadian on October 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Big surprise that Seattleblues is a prick, who does business with pricks, and treats his employees like indentured servants. God, I hope you die soon, Seattleblues.
Posted by catsnbanjos on October 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM · Report this
venomlash 10
@3: There's a difference between being professional and being mechanical.
Posted by venomlash on October 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM · Report this
@8

So he doesn't get to look for some quiet time after interacting with large crowds either professionally or politically? Okay then.

@7

More-so than I would be of illegally camping in a public park making incoherent statements and irrational demands, yes. And yes, I'm happy to be in a position to provide products I enjoy making and that people want at prices they're willing to pay while providing skilled men with a good living. Life isn't perfect, but no-ones is, and I'm content with what I've (wait for it- this is a word progressives despise) earned in that life.

@9

And you have a pleasant afternoon as well.

As it happens, I enjoy working with my men, and so far as I can tell they with me. As it happens I don't get always to select clients on the basis of whether I personally like them but on whether they're willing to pay my price for my product. And as it happens, customer based industries mean that occasionally your customers are ill informed jerks.

@10

After 15 years in business I've come to appreciate this distinction. But it never hurts to be reminded of what can be helpful. Thanks.

Posted by Seattleblues on October 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM · Report this
venomlash 12
@11: If he wants some quiet time, he can ask for it. Demanding that subordinates not say anything unless specifically asked to do so is a bad idea because it requires that crises happen only according to one's own schedule. (And I've got support for that assertion in Scripture!)
Posted by venomlash on October 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM · Report this