Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Friday, February 17, 2012

"More clever than a pie in the face but less clever than something actually clever."

Posted by on Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Jon Stewart on the glitterbombers.

And, hey, you know how most of the folks who've glitterbombed me for being a transphobic marriage prioritizer aren't actually trans? (It's true! And non-crazy trans folks want that pointed out.) I got an email from one of the people who glitterbombed Rick Santorum a couple of weeks ago and guess what? He said he wasn't gay, just an "straight ally," and asked if I wanted to interview him about the awesome, glittery blow he struck for LGBT equality.

I passed. I've recused myself from the whole glitter thing for, you know, all the obvious reasons.

But to any folks out there who thinking about glitterbombing someone: You know they arrest glitterbombers now, right? (Well, they arrest people who glitterbomb GOP candidates. It's still openglitterseason on marriage prioritizing advice columnists.)

Obvious reasons like still being bitter that it was used against you.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on February 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
Zebes 2
Or maybe the story of a self-aggrandizing Glitter Vigilante wasn't all that compelling.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM · Report this
Vince 3
Hey, as long as they aren't poop bombing.
Posted by Vince on February 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

The Glitter Underground.

On October 29, 2011, three members were in an apartment on the Westside. A bag of sequins popped open too violently and mixed with Nautica fumes causing a spontaneous Glit-Burst. They're still pulling them from the sweaters.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM · Report this
I thought you were going to call out Stewart's first line: "Actually the whole second meaning of santorum thing was started as a protest of the senator's views on gay marriage." When I saw that last night, I cringed and thought: "Dan is not going to be happy".
Posted by crater on February 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM · Report this
The first person who did it, OK funny and got a point across.

At this point glitterbombing is about as transgressive, impactful and creative as M.I.A.'s middle finger during the superbowl show.
Posted by Dave M on February 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM · Report this
sirkowski 7
Sergey Nyechayev thinks this is weak sauce.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM · Report this
ratatosk 8
So what would be better?
Posted by ratatosk on February 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM · Report this
So have the polygamists glitterbombed you yet Danny? you bigoted hypocritical smug sanctimonious polygaphobic hatemongering sack of SHIT?
Posted by relax. you're not worth wasting the glitter..... on February 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
"Well, they arrest people who glitterbomb GOP candidates. It's still openglitterseason on marriage prioritizing advice columnists."

You said your bomber was arrested but you declined to press charges. The primary reason that guy is screwed is because he targeted Romney who is being protected by the Secret Service. Anyone could file assault charges after a glitter bombing. Romney doesn't have to because he's actively being protected by law enforcement.

I'm curious if any of the other candidate's bombers were arrested and if the candidates also declined to press charges.
Posted by Lumpmoose on February 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Didn't Dan specifically ask the police *not* to arrest his glitterbombers? I seem to remember that detail.
Posted by merula on February 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
Foghorn Leghorn 12
@9 Aw someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Go get some coffee and come back when you've got something constructive to say.
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on February 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM · Report this
I just got a chuckle thinking about someone tossing a water balloon filled with running chocolate pudding (I was actually think chocolate mousse for the right consistency and frothy-ness, but A. I don't think a water balloon full of mousse would break, and B. it should be a crime to waste perfectly good chocolate mousse!) on stage... ok on Rick...

...But it is just an amusing thought!!! NOT SOMETHING TO BE CARRIED OUT. It is has no place in political discourse, and does not win anyone over to our side.
Posted by Terpsichorean on February 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
NaFun 14
We should have the bouncer glitterbomb every attendee of the next SLOG Happy.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on February 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM · Report this
OH! and I was also struck by Jon saying it was a way of protesting the senator's views on gay marriage.

I really think the homepage of spreadingsantorum (sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to post it as a link, I'm 26 but I should have been born in the classical age) needs to have the quote from Ol' Frothy concerning man on dog and pedophilia just underneath the definition. Perhaps even with a disclaimer that this is not about his views on gay marriage.
Posted by Terpsichorean on February 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM · Report this
I know it's supposed to be a symbolic diss and everything, but I think it would be awesome to have people throw glitter wherever I went. I think the LGBT community needs to think of a slightly less sparkly insult.
Posted by Ashley on February 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 17
Any person tossing any object (glitter, pies, or water) on a politician (Republican or not) should be subjected to the full prosecution of the law because one of these days some protester will lace the glitter with a noxious substance!
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM · Report this
Fnarf 18
@17, there's a more noxious substance than glitter itself?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM · Report this
debug 19
@5 LOL Yep. I was like "uh oh" and then I wondered if I was spending a little too much virtual time with Mr Savage if I'm worried about this.

@15 Interesting idea. Of course, maybe it isn't so terrible if the mainstream thinks it's about gay marriage rights. It's more important that the image of Santorum being a dangerous old-fashioned bigot is out there than any one dangerous bigoted thing he said.
Posted by debug on February 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
I'm always still up for seeing a good glitterbomb. People need to lighten up.
Posted by Amanda on February 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Agreed to those pointing out Stewarts oopsie in the first line. Actually, the whole "weapon of choice for gay activists" thing also made me facepalm a wee bit. The overall arc of the it is, "Gay people are doing this, because of gay marriage, and this thing gay people are doing is stupid."
Posted by Belle Starr on February 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 22
@17- I can't tell if you're sincere or you really feel that non-violent pranksters should suffer the same penalty as people who physically harm other people. A president got assassinated by a man in a hand-shake line once, should we prosecute those who try to shake hands with the presidential candidate.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on February 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM · Report this
sunjoy 23
@5, seriously! I was waiting for Dan's correction of Stewart. I think he needs to go on TDS soon.
Posted by sunjoy on February 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 24
@5: I can't see Stewart as being anything but smug and out of touch since his "Rally to Restore Sanity". :/
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
If you really care about these issues, keep in mind that once you start throwing things, you have lost the debate. You're only pushing away anybody on the fence.
Posted by Texans on February 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
If they're arresting glitterbombers then I'd like to file a police report of glitter crimes committed against my person at raves between 1993 and 1999.

Posted by scratchmaster joe on February 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
i was one of the occupy tampa people who glitterbombed santorum at his lady lakes, florida campaign stop and i can tell you that the only thing that happened to the four of us was being trespassed forever from the lady lakes american legion hall.. totally worth it :) if throwing something non-lethal at that bigot makes me a petulant child, so be it...
Posted by beckyjoooo on February 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM · Report this
It's such a stupid protest, though. Because of the novelty, it will get medi coverage, and then almost everyone who reads it will think, wow, what a bunch of morons those protesters are. This includes the people who think the glittering is on some level funny. It's funny, but still dumb as rocks. And then people who are open to persuasion but, I don't know, grown up, will frown and be unwilling to give your cause the time of day. Brilliant.
Posted by Suzy on February 18, 2012 at 7:14 AM · Report this
media coverage is exactly why it's a good protest and tactic, in my opinion... calling attention to santorum's views on gay rights any chance you get is a good thing.. make him a target over and over and over on this issue in particular.. i don't want him to go anywhere without knowing that his views aren't welcome in the community he's entered...
Posted by beckyjoooo on February 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
NoelleyB 30
Maybe if glitterbombing was reserved for closet case bigots it would seem more clever.
Posted by NoelleyB on February 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM · Report this