Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Obsessed with the Seattle Times Obsession

Posted by on Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Really, Seattle Times editorial board? You're going to lash out at Initiative 1163 for the second time this week... the sixth time since it was overwhelmingly approved by voters in November. Writing about the House budget proposal, the editors lament:

What is in it? Initiative 1163. That is the measure promoted by the Service Employees International Union that has the state pay for increased training that most of their members don't need.

Washington's voters have now twice approved expanded training and certification requirements for long-term care workers, and by landslide margins: 65-35 for I-1163 in 2011, and 73-27 for I-1029 in 2008. Yet the union-hating editors at the Seattle Times simply can't get past the SEIU backing to see these provisions as something that voters clearly want.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

1163 was a money grab for 1163. Just because something is promoted by unions doesn't make it good. Sometimes it does, but not always
Posted by cknapp08 on February 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Money grab for seiu***
Posted by cknapp08 on February 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Goldy 3
@1,2: Explain how SEIU makes money off of I-1163?

Though, speaking of making money off of initiatives, Costco will make a fortune off its liquor initiative, yet I don't hear the Times complaining about that.
Posted by Goldy on February 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Kinison 4
Sounds like Toby is obsessed with the Seattle Times, he cries about it non-stop. If he didnt like it, he really should stop reading it because its getting his panties all tied in a knot.

I dont have a problem with the Seattle Times because I dont read that newspaper. I have a problem with the Seattle PI, because I read it and find it slowly turning into a tabloid magazine.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on February 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Add that to their support for making the Mercer fix priority 1 instead of 13 and building a Tunnel we still have no financing for.

The Times is stuck on tax-subsidized stupid ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 6
@2: "Money grab for seiu***"

How do you figure?
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
SEIU makes money off 1163 because they will provide the training that will be required. Millions of dollars will go to SEIU.
The Times is exactly right in their "lashing out". The voters were wrong about this.
This lady doth not protest too much. This lady knows of what she speaks. I
Posted by tacomagirl on February 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
@8 agreed. Their members won't have to pay for their continuing ed training requirements. Unlike, say, teachers who have to cough up their own money to keep their certificates.

The SIEU is smart, who could be against extra training for the people watching Grandma? But why should the taxpayer be footing the bill for their member's certification training?
Posted by Westside forever on February 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
internet_jen 9
I'm scan med records and am part of SIEU, the union had nothing to do with my training. Labor=!management
Posted by internet_jen on February 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
The Seattle Times is union-bashing, pure and simple.

They love the initiative process - except when an initiative is backed by a union, whether it be SEIU sponsoring I-1029 and I-1163 or the WEA backing I-728 and I-732.

They incorrectly claim a union will make money off of an initiative (the training required by I-1163 can be obtained anywhere, including community colleges), but have absolutely no problem with Costco sponsoring an initiative that is clearly aimed at helping them make money.
Posted by SuperSteve on February 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
Goldy 11
@8, Taxpayers only pay to train those workers paid by the state. Private employers pay to train and certify their own workers.
Posted by Goldy on February 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM · Report this
SEUI makes millions off of training. It is a racket separate from the actual "union." Their Training Centers are separate companies that are setup to siphon as much money from the tax payers as possible.

Posted by bornhere on February 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 13
If it's necessary, helpful training that improves the quality of care, I don't give a shit who provides it.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM · Report this