Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, April 2, 2012

Shall a McDonald's Be Allowed at Sea-Tac Airport?

Posted by on Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM

The Port commissioners recently approved a nicey-nice, locally-local branch of Beecher's Handmade Cheese for installation at Sea-Tac.

So far, however, they've been unable to reach agreement about whether to allow a McDonald's. Here is some fairly hilarious background on the debate. (A Wendy's and a Burger King were allowed in prior to this era of—rightful! Michelle Obama is totally right! Stop eating so much fast food, America!—hand-wringing.)

But, clearly, Slog must decide. Results of our as-always legally binding poll will be forwarded to the Port commissioners.

michaelp 1
Personally, I think allowing a McD's is fine, so long as it doesn't come at a significant cost to other establishments in Sea Tac.

But what Tom Albro is advocating for - putting a fast food restaurant that sets its sights on children - right outside of the play area is ridiculous.
Posted by michaelp on April 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM · Report this
There are enough restaurants now. What we really need is a good bookstore.
Posted by slugbiker http://www.seattlescrabble.org on April 2, 2012 at 7:56 AM · Report this
Allyn 3
Yes, they should be allowed. But nobody should eat there.
Posted by Allyn on April 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM · Report this

If it makes my plane tickets cheaper.. then hell yes
Posted by amsellie on April 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
There's not one there already? I could have sworn there was one at one of the satellites. As long as it doesn't take up any valuable cocktail lounge space, I say go ahead. The little people need to eat too, after all.

Personally, I think they need to bring back that glamorous dining room they used to have in the center concourse, but I don't think that's an option,
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 2, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
terrence 6
why in the world would anyone say no? regardless of how artery clogging or disgusting it may be, people should still be allowed to eat it anytime they want.

free country and all.....
Posted by terrence on April 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM · Report this
Somehow the food they serve on airlines is any healthier? Hell, if those stupid little happy meal toys keep the rug rats engaged on the plane I will buy a couple myself to pass out to the other screaming offspring.
Posted by pussnboots on April 2, 2012 at 8:16 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 8
@ 7, they serve food on airlines?
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM · Report this
I guess the lower classes need somewhere to eat before flying to Reno or where ever it is they go that requires them to travel in sweat pants.
Posted by Prol Nosh on April 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Fnarf 10
I've been in airports where a McDonald's would be a blessed relief. When your only option is a Bubba Gump's or one of those "every kind of ethnic food mashed together" places, or the sad, sad offerings in Mexico City (consisting solely of plastic-wrapped, stale, soggy ham'n'cheese on white bread), even you might be glad to see a Quarter Pounder.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM · Report this
My people need a place to go!
Posted by mint chocolate chip on April 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM · Report this
Cascadian 12
@10 I have been to the Mexico City airport twice, on both ends of the same trip. The only meal I had there was at McDonalds.
Posted by Cascadian on April 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM · Report this
Fnarf 13
@12, McDonald's was closed.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Anyone else miss the days when people used to dress and eat nicely when they flew? It's like riding a Greyhound bus these days.
Posted by Prol Nosh on April 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM · Report this
Posted by bigyaz on April 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
I think that Dick’s should be at the airport instead
Posted by olive oyl on April 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
Yes, because a cheese-based diet is much better, from a company that busted a union in 2003.
Posted by Beechers sucks on April 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM · Report this
Soupytwist 18
No, SeaTac is a beacon in this dark world of horrible airport food.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on April 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM · Report this
@18

MSP blows Seatac out of the water.
Posted by Prol Nosh on April 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM · Report this

I say we use our bargaining power and force them to bring back the McDLT...the best burger product ever invented by them.

It keeps the hot, hot........and the cold........cold!

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on April 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
My parents had this magic word when they didn't want us to eat/do/say something. Without drama or excuses or bullshit, they'd just say "Nope." Asked why not, they'd respond "because I said so." Deceptively told that the other parent already said I could they'd say "Too bad, I said you can't."

So quit whining about how parents are dragged kicking and screaming into that toxic dump that is a McDonalds. Lib whiners, man up, parent your damn kids and quit blaming McD's for your bad parenting.
Posted by Parents Without Borders on April 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM · Report this
Airports are an excuse to eat junk food in a world ruled by hipster bitches! Let the McDonald's in or you'll just have to pay more of a brie-grilled cheese with apple butter that costs more, isn't any better for you, and still manages to taste disgusting.
Posted by LukeJoe on April 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Though if you can, make them serve Egg McMuffins all day.
Posted by LukeJoe on April 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
#22

Have you been through Sea Tac lately?

They have some pretty trendy outlet chains there...more like a high end mall. Tasty stuff. I had breakfast at Pallino, a quick Italian outlet that was really nice and not too pricey.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on April 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 25
No, we should only allow a "health food" "breakfast bar" establishment which sells food that is even worse for kids, but makes their parents think it's healthy when it isn't.

Hint: don't eat trail mix if you're not ON A HIKE.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Allyn 26
@21 I explain healthy eating and getting the right amount of quality energy and exercise to my kids, about balancing an unhealthy treat with a healthy life. So instead of saying “because I said so” and keeping them mindless whiners who think of me as an mean old dictator , they’ve got the knowledge that’ll serve them well when I’m not with them and encourages them to think and make their own decisions.

“Because I said so” is the lazy-man’s way of raising children. “Because I said so” is bad parenting, not reasoning with your kids and using every opportunity to teach.

I don’t typically like being adversarial, but your generalization was idiotic. STFU.
Posted by Allyn on April 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM · Report this
"Lib whiners, man up, parent your damn kids and quit blaming McD's for your bad parenting."

That's great for college educated upper middle class white and Asian people....but what about our vulnerable communities?
Posted by Stupid Hippie on April 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
prompt 28
Freedom for everyone, except for the people and groups we don't like.
Posted by prompt on April 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM · Report this
@8, for sale products on airplanes do not appeal to young children. If someone is going to pay $8 for a fruit platter on Alaska- their children won't eat it.
@21, my boys are quite well behaved. Bickering causes their books and ds taken away. They are 13 &14. Other peoples' children annoy the fuck out of me. Mcdonalds gives me a chance for a better flight. They buy it anyway for them. Preservative clogging food makes smaller annoying rats comotose. While I don't raise my children like that, they do. Knock them out with french fries and benedryl.
Posted by pussnboots on April 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
@16: I'm still ignorant of why everyone thinks Dick's makes great anything. Burgers are overpriced, fries are soggy, they charge extra for onions and mustard. I'm totally mystified why people seem to think Dick's is some burger nirvana.
Posted by Weekilter on April 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 31
@15: "Why not, because it's fattening and unhealthy? But I bet the Seattle progressives would be all for a Lunchbox Laboratory, right?"

You can't even strawman Seattle properly, congratulations on tanking your argument before it started.
Posted by undead ayn rand on April 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this