Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Friday, April 6, 2012

There but For the Grace of God Go I

Posted by on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Senator Joe Zarelli (R-Ridgefield), circa 1996:

Zarelli, who says he never touches alcohol or drugs now - didn't deny doing drugs in the past, but he wouldn't discuss the matter beyond remarking that he'd made a few bad decisions at a time when "cocaine was commonplace in school."

Senator Joe Zarelli, circa 2012:

Zarelli said the disability payments he gets are far different than the benefits provided in the state programs he's targeting for cuts, in part because he suffered his injury on the job. He said the people in the state system were making poor lifestyle choices - such as drug and alcohol addiction...

I know the Republican base considers it a bad word—a sign of weakness—but personally, I prefer electing officials who are capable of displaying a little empathy.

balderdash 1
We really already thoroughly picked out the whole Fundamental Attribution Error deal that's going on here in the last Zarelli thread.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on April 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 2
they have a long list of words that signify weakness, but empathy, like compassion, is one they just don't understand.

and no, using it as an adjective in front of 'conservative' doesn't mean you understand it.
Posted by Max Solomon on April 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
I see. So, for a liberal compassion and empathy mean spending other peoples money to enable self destructive lifestlyes using the IRS or state tax collection system as a means of mugging those who chose bettter lifestyles. Thanks for the clarification.

Kind of 'Give me a fish and I'll eat for a day, teach me to fish...ah screw it, don't teach me anything but how to beg for fish. I mean, think how many government workers need me to be a beggar for them to have jobs!'

In Conservative empathy and compassion the long term good of the individual and the society they inhabit overwhelm the urge to ameliorate bad decision making in the short term. Liberals would rather treat the symptoms than the disease, even if it means prolonging the disease and the suffering of the patient indefinitely.

I hope you enjoy the Passover, Goldstein. I'll keep you in my prayers for some glimmering of honesty or integrity as I go into Easter, for what it's worth.
Posted by Seattleblues on April 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
balderdash 4
Yes, Sb, if it were all a matter of "lifestyle choices" as you would so dearly like to believe (You see up there where I invoked the Fundamental Attribution Error? Read up on it sometime. You already know it a lot better than you think.), you might, perhaps, have a point. Unfortunately, people are not all upright and strong and utterly independent of influence by forces beyond their control, and it is entirely imbecile, and ultimately both inhumane and disastrous, to insist that we live as though we all were.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on April 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
@ 3, Jesus doesn't care for hypocritical prayers. Don't dig your pit in Hell any deeper, okay?
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM · Report this
Theory: Republicans are Republicans because they are unable to forgive themselves (e.g. I was once a drug addict; I have not forgiven myself for it, ergo drug addicts must be punished). Discuss.
Posted by Transient Gadfly on April 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM · Report this
@5

Hey, anything that might help the patent lies, disingenous rabble rousing, intentional misuse of date, polemical nonsense and outright slander Goldstein confuses with journalism would be good for you folks. You do realize the only people who believe Goldstein and those like him (or his equivalents on the right) are those who already agreed with him, don't you?

And I'll save you the concern worrying about my ultimate destination. At any rate, for my part I lack the consumate arrogance to think I know where you stand with whatever you consider a deity.

Though I can't help imagine you and fellow travellers intoning 'Holy DSHS, higher than God, pay my bills now an in the hour of my death,' that's just a petty reflex I try to resist.

Happy Easter.
Posted by Seattleblues on April 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM · Report this
venomlash 8
@7: "for my part I lack the consumate arrogance to think I know where you stand with whatever you consider a deity."
Surprised am I, for you have demonstrated pretty much every other brand of arrogance.
Posted by venomlash on April 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM · Report this
@3 Take your prayers and shove 'em.

It's like, "You're a disgusting, lazy, sinful person, you're wrong in all you think, you deserve to learn hard lessons for all those failures you have, so I'm not going to help - and you're definitely not getting my money - *but* I'm praying for you."

I can't even blow my nose with your sanctimonious "prayers". "Praying" for someone who needs actual help is the easiest way to tell them to go to hell without feeling bad about it. I'm glad to see another Christian demonstrating the brotherly love of Jesus.
Posted by floater on April 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM · Report this
@3 I agree that welfare often acts as an enabler for poor lifestyle choices. On the other hand when substance abusers and the mentally ill get no help from the Department of Social Services they usually end up in jail or in the emergency room. Both those things cost a lot of money. Is it possible that, in some cases, buying such people off w/ welfare checks is the most cost effective way of dealing with them?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on April 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM · Report this
Seattleblues, your Jesus was a Jew and wouldn't appreciate your nasty prejudice. Pray for yourself.
Posted by sarah70 on April 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM · Report this
Sandiai 12
Goddammit, SB, apostrophe + "s" is how you do a possessive (or "s" + apostrophe, for plurals). "other peoples money" should be "other people's money." I've seen you do this hundreds of times and it's grated on my last nerve.

The hateful, misinformed and prejudicial tone, on the other hand, is pure Slog entertainment. This run-on gibberish, for example:

"So, for a liberal[,] compassion and empathy mean spending other peoples [Sic] money to enable self destructive lifestlyes [Sic] using the IRS or state tax collection system as a means of mugging those who chose bettter [Sic] lifestyles."

It's like you can peer into my soul!

Posted by Sandiai on April 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM · Report this

The difference is that many conservatives actually came from poor or humble backgrounds and overcame them, so they don't emphasize because in their own life they made it on their own.

Whereas most liberals had the silver spoon shoved firmly down their throats. They don't so much emphasize either, but they are willing to give the slaves as much bread and circuses as needed to keep them from scaling the garden walls and slitting the throats of the monarchy.
Posted by Publius on April 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM · Report this
Senator Zarelli is WRONG. Disability payments are NOT granted for addiction alone. The person must have a physical and/or mental disability in order to qualify. The person may also have a substance abuse addiction but that by itself does not qualify them to receive assistance.
Posted by nwcitizen on April 7, 2012 at 1:44 AM · Report this
Empathy is great.
And sympathy.
And mercy.....

great when you are spending your own money.

if,however, you are taking others' hard earned resources (at gunpoint) it would be advisable to stick to justice.

Conservatives are great at Empathy.
And sympathy.
And mercy.....

They just do it on their own time and with their own resources.

You do realize that Conservatives donate more of their time and money to charity than Liberals, don't you?

Even after contributions to their churches are taken out Conservatives still donate more.

Liberals' hypocrisy fools no one......
Posted by you are so full of shit on April 7, 2012 at 7:00 AM · Report this
Funny how so many of those bad lifestyle choices involve becoming mentally ill. If those guys only hadn't chosen to go crazy, things would have turned out a lot better for them.
Posted by Emily68 on April 7, 2012 at 7:26 AM · Report this
GlamB0t 17
Argh, agreed Goldy. It's sad how empathy = weakness to Republicans. Knowing this makes their claim to be the "real American's" even more annoying.

ALSO:

Am I the only one who now hears "There but For the Grace of God Go I" only in Jessica Lange's voice after watching American Horror Story?

Posted by GlamB0t on April 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM · Report this
douchus 18
#15 - you're wrong. Liberals give a higher percentage of their income to charity. Also, I have no clue, but since you have no evidence, I must not need it either.
Posted by douchus on April 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
@6, I've observed that a lot of former addicts, especially those in *A programs, tend to become very hostile and unforgiving to those who have current substance problems.

I don't think this is a R vs. D thing. Rather, I think a lot has to do with their own anxiety over the potential for relapse. They take such a hard line in order to prevent, however they can, any chance of that relapse occurring. And that includes actively attacking and pushing away people who are currently using drugs or alcohol as a means of projecting their own anxieties onto others.

Who knows how extensive this guy's problem was? He's given up all drugs and alcohol completely, which is a hallmark of *A and other treatment programs (though it could also be he's become a member of some kind of fundamentalist church or something). That might seem to indicate that his own problem was bad enough to push him into some kind of treatment. And ten or twenty years down the road, that could be a big part of why he's acting the way he does now.

Posted by Corydon on April 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM · Report this
it is a commonly known fact borne out by numerous studies frequently posted on Slog.
1; ignorant,
2, obnoxious
and 3, not clever.
you're out!
Posted by please don't fuck with the troll. you'll lose a finger..... on April 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
douchus 21
#20

;)

I win.
Posted by douchus on April 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
congratulations.
your mother must be so proud.
any luck finding that clue you were missing @18?
Posted by Look Ma! I won another Special Olympics Posting Trophy!! on April 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM · Report this
venomlash 23
@20: I don't usually go there, but projecting much? Ignorant, obnoxious, and not clever are three terms that describe you pretty perfectly, ya neckbeard.
Posted by venomlash on April 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this