Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Savage U: Tonight!

Posted by on Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Dan's TV show is featured on NPR's Talk of the Nation today (listen here if you missed it), and episode two is on MTV tonight at 11. Here's a clip from last week with a phrase that'll be familiar to Slog readers:

Watch the first episode in full over here. The show is fast—too fast! It should be an hour long!—and funny and great. College students are awfully lucky to have Dan Savage to help them (in my day, we just got inscrutable pamphlets about water sports).

Thanks, rob!, for the NPR tip!

Will in Seattle 1
I thought TV was dead?

I mean, is Melissa Gilbert going to be on?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Janell8me 2
I just got the audio via the NPR app.
Posted by Janell8me on April 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
bugwitch 3
I'm watching last weeks right now and it seems good, but I do have some gripes. They bleep excessively. Seriously? You need to bleep "dick"? All because it is used in the context of a homosexual encounter I bet. Very annoying. Also, the over use of rampant laughter through the audience doesn't match the jokes. That's more of an editing issue and I hope they fix it as they go along.
Posted by bugwitch on April 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM · Report this
blackhook 4
Loved the first ep - the show cries out to be an hour long.

Anyone know how to give MTV feedback? I can't find a place on the Savage U homepage...
Posted by blackhook on April 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
prompt 5
@3 Didn't they bleep handjob too? How are you supposed to have a show about sex and not be able to say any sex words?

Dan, I thought you saw the "raw dog" thing forever ago. Was that a dramatic reenactment?
Posted by prompt on April 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Dan Savage, Jesse Ventura, NPR, and My Advice to Phoebe

Today, Dan Savage appeared on NPR's ultra-neocon gaytard, Neal Conan’s
Talk of the Nation
, where Dan Savage came off as hyper-masculine compared to Conan's light and fluffy voice --- it's almost as if Conan were mainlining estrogen --- if his voice were any lighter he would float away from the planet --- no major loss, that's for sure!

The first segment of the show, Should Teacher's Be Disciplined for Online Lives?, should have been titled, should NPR hosts have jobs for life? --- if if they didn't maybe we'd finally get some real content for once?

Conan, NPR's host-for-life skirted around the phrases "economic warfare" and "workers' rights" enabling him to keep his job-for-life at one of the nodes of the America Propaganda Network (FoxFiction, CNN, NPR, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, PBS, etc.).

One somewhat intelligent caller, Phoebe, a teacher or education student, mentioned the Rush Limbaugh-phrase "demonizing teachers" --- but what she should have articulated was an assault on workers' rights, this time the select group being teachers!

My advice to Phoebe, who is on the right and proper track at least, is to review some American history, especially labor history, most especially women in labor history, circa 1912 or thereabouts, to understand what is going on today. The national assault on workers' rights, or economic warfare, is the surest way for the super-rich to enrich themselves with their ongoing thieving wealth transfer***.

People are forever asking, "Why doesn't the media cover it," or report it, etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum?

Because Neal Conan, Diane Rehm, Michael Enright (CBC), Tom Ashbrook (and Mike Wallace) have jobs for life, as long as they continue to ignore any and all important and real content, and dutifully repeat what their masters tell them to.

Case in point: the former populist governor of Minnesota, Jesse Ventura, former internationally renowned wrestler, former internationally renowned movie actor, and former US Navy SEAL, was paid a goodly sum of money by MSNBC for a news-oriented show, but they cancelled his show upon finding out about his political views, which are shared by the majority of the American people!

Next, that rightwinger, Ariana Huffington (a k a, the "Greek Freak") kept badgering Jesse to blog at her site. When Gov. Ventura did, she immediately pulled his blog column as she didn't like his political views, which are shared by the majority of the American people!

But when Jonathan Kay, an unkown, ultra-neocon little piece of Canadian crap, was pushing his non-factual character assassination book, Among The Truthers, he was accorded almost unlimited media access to NPR, CBC, BBC, PRI, APM, etc. (at least 17 shows that I'm aware of, probably a bunch more!).

The ulta-neocon little piece of crap, Kay, is a member of the neocon successor group to the Project for a New American Century, the Foundation in Defense of Democracy.

One, Jesse Ventura, highly popular and well-known, cannot get any media access; the other, a little ultra-neocon piece of unknown crap, receives almost unlimited media access!

But as along as Mike Wallace never made a peep whenever a real content show on Sixty Minutes was spiked, and as long as everyone on NPR never mentions "economic warfare" and "assault on workers' rights" they will all enjoy a job-for-life; much to the chagrin of those who have heard them over the past forty, fifty and sixty years!

***In the Aug. 28, 2006 edition of the NY Times, two economists from Goldman Sachs stated:

The most important contributor to higher profit margins over the past five years has been a decline in labor's share of the national income.
More...
Posted by sgt_doom on April 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM · Report this
Danger 7
I liked the first episode. I wish it had a bit more of a narrative to it though. It felt a little rushed/jumpy. Perhaps this will develop as the show goes along.

Also the producer tag along is a shade too much of a straight man - In the comedic sense- and kind of naïve/parental.

Minor minor gripes. I like it.

@5 A little secret. They film these things way in advance of the airing them.
Posted by Danger on April 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM · Report this
prompt 8
@7 I didn't think the show has been in production for quite that long, but then again, I don't remember when I first heard that line.
Posted by prompt on April 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM · Report this
OuterCow 9
I love hearing you on NPR, Dan, I just fucking love the shit out of it. You talk circles around him, it's great. I know you definitely jazzed up NPR for a whole lot of folks.
Posted by OuterCow on April 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM · Report this