Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Stanley Cup Finals Begin Tonight: LA Kings vs. New Jersey Devils

Posted by on Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins holding the Cup after winning last years finals.
The eighth seed underdogs (and the funniest NHL team on Twitter) have gone all the way to the Stanley Cup finals to take on the New Jersey Devils! The first game in the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight at 5 pm (PST). Who's going to win?

(In other hockey news, Predators goalie Pekka Rinne is in the running to be on the cover of NHL 13! You can vote for him here. Or you can vote for Claude Giroux, if you're a jerk.)

Now on to the very important poll!

@1 bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Also, Go KINGS!!!
I adopted the Kings as my Western Conference team back in the summer of 2009 when Rob Scuderi left Pittsburgh for LA. *sigh* Hopefully I will get to see him lift the Cup again.
But! If I don't get to see Scuderi raise that mighty trophy I will get to see Sykora and Hedberg hoist it high. What-what for members of the 2009 Penguins being on both sides of the finals and for Moose possibly winning his first Cup (even though he'll likely see no ice time).
Posted by moosefan on May 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
orange&black 3
Then, I'm a jerk.
Posted by orange&black on May 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
My NY Ranger heart would like the Kings to win, but my cerebral fan cap says that the Devils will pose the best challenge to the Kings not just in an ability to play well in the trenches of winning battles on the wall and center ice as Lamariello teams have been groomed, but they shown an ability to get scoring from all four lines.

Devils in 7
Posted by neo-realist on May 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
cressona 5
I'm not sure it's fair to call the LA Kings underdogs. Yes, they're an eighth seed who made it to the Final, but isn't that more an indication that they underachieved during the regular season? And they didn't just march through the #1, #2, #3 seeds on the way to the Final, they mauled them. Aren't most of the hockey experts picking the Kings?

I'll be rooting for the Kings. Sun Belt team. American goaltender. The Devils have won enough championships in the Lou Lamoriello era, and I don't want to see a celebration featuring Chris Christie and Cory Booker.
Posted by cressona on May 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Megan, you've done a wonderful job covering the cup, considering this is SLOG and all...

Please recap these polls when the season is over, we've been wrong at every turn and its been funny to watch...

Thx,
Posted by Random Poster on May 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 7
I know nothing about hockey, but I'll root for any team with Devil in their name.

I'm still pissed that the idiot owner of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (which was an awesome name) changed the team's name to just "The Rays."

AND he changed what "Ray" is supposed to refer to. It's now a beam of sunlight, not a fish. "We will devour the opposing team like a... pretty, glittering beam." They probably sing Kumbaya during the 7th inning stretch.

Anyhow, go Devils!