Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mitt Romney's Hotmail Account Was Hacked

Posted by on Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Here's today's big presidential campaign news: A Gawker tipper reportedly hacked into Mitt Romney's Hotmail account (mittromney@hotmail.com, and yes I'm being serious) and gave Gawker the new password. (I would've figured Romney for an AOL user.) Gawker then gave the information to the Romney campaign, which responded by saying, "the proper authorities are investigating this crime and we will have no further comment on it." Anticlimax! Still, it's funny that the Romney campaign is making a big fuss out of the hacked e-mail, considering they've just created a fake Twitter account for Bill Clinton.

Gay Dude for Romney 1
Poor Mitt, I know what it’s like to have your email (or profile as in my case here in Slog) hacked.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on June 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM · Report this
COMTE 2
I was wondering why I got an email from Mittens saying he was stuck in London, his passport & credit cards had been stolen, and could I loan him some money to get home?

Because all I could think of was, "wouldn't a simple request for a campaign donation have been sufficient?"
Posted by COMTE on June 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Zebes 3
Guessing passwords isn't hacking. Neither is guessing security questions. Such an accomplishment owes more to being a trivia buff than a criminal mastermind.

Although I guess, increasingly in the cyber-info age of eWeb Surfing, "hacking" is going to refer to accessing any digital information you're not supposed to. Descriptive language, etc.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
@3
"Neither is guessing security questions."

Exactly.
If you are using publicly available information for your "security questions" then you are making it easier for the "hackers".

So if you are a public figure do NOT use the real answer to questions such as "what was your mother's maiden name".
If you have to, write the answer down on a piece of paper and keep that piece of paper safe. Like in your wallet.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on June 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
So far over the line! I mean, it's not like they were hacking the private email accounts of climate scientists and selectively publishing out-of-context remarks to discredit an entire field of scientific inquiry; That would be different -- that would be news. This is just dirty pool.

IOIYAR
Posted by Proteus on June 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
seatackled 6
@4

Wallets are for little people.
Posted by seatackled on June 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 7
Conservatives thrive on being victims. It's an ideology that depends on not taking responsibility for your actions, and always finding someone else to blame. Thus, this will be taken as an example of how Mitt is a victim.

But really......mittromney@hotmail.com? We're expected to believe that was his email address? After all, we're not all as stupid as the average Republican. And I truly hope romney isn't that stupid.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
@1: Your email wasn't hacked, you nitwit. People created accounts with names that looked identical to yours. No hacking involved, but you don't know the difference.
Posted by Gene Leonhardt on June 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 9
@8: You're wrong. I have mail from the Webmaster stating that "The glitch that allowed the alternate version of your screen name was a bug in that final name matching, but that's been corrected and the impostor account has been removed."

I suggest you avoid talking about things you don't know about.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on June 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 10
@7: Well, how do we know that the President isn't using barackobama@hotmail.com?
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on June 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 11
Well, we know for a fact that president@whitehouse.gov works. But for my money, I'd go with something more along the lines of barackobama@att.blackberry.net.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on June 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM · Report this
@8: In other words, it was done exactly as I said it was. It wasn't hard, you know...
Posted by Paulie Carbone on June 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM · Report this
These two sentences from the post:

"Still, it's funny that the Romney campaign is making a big fuss out of the hacked e-mail"

and

"Romney campaign responded by saying, "the proper authorities are investigating this crime and we will have no further comment on it."

don't really match. Explain to me how saying "no comment" is making a "big fuss."
Posted by charity on June 6, 2012 at 7:12 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 14
@12: In that "hacked" has a meaning beyond a security breach, such as guessing passwords, with a programmatic factor - we can quibble about semantics.

Considering that after changing my password to the email account associated with my Slog profile did not stop my impostors comments, and that there were two "Gay Dude for Romney" profiles, each showing a different comment history, and along the feedback from the Webmaster, it appears highly likely that the incident is beyond the "guessing/sleuthing" category that you describe as falling short of meeting the "hacked" category.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on June 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this