Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tonight at SIFF: A Celebration of Sissy Spacek and a Terrence Malick Film for People Who Think They Don't Like Terrence Malick Films

Posted by on Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Tonight at SIFF: An Evening with Sissy Spacek, featuring the lady herself in attendance to receive an award, answer some questions, then join us all for a screening of Badlands, Terrence Malick's wonderful 1973 film starring Spacek in her first lead role. Here's the trailer:

For full SIFF info (only four days left!), see our review-packed guide.

Urgutha Forka 1
I still haven't forgiven Malick for that horrible, terrible film, The Thin Red Line. The only movie in my life I've ever walked out on.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on June 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
David, settle something for me here. I think I should go to the party and cut off a hunk of Sissy Spacek's hair. My friend says we should dump a bucket of pig's blood on her. He thinks my idea is too obscure for most people, but I think his is too cliche, and anyone attending a screening at SIFF with Sissy Spacek should recognize the reference (and she probably gets pig's blood dumped on her all the time). Which should we do?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 3
I liked the thin red line, but to each their own.

But, really, who doesn't think Badlands is amazing?
Posted by Asparagus! on June 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM · Report this
Bub 4
Doesn't Charles Mudede despise Terrence Malick's films? What does he think of Badlands?
Posted by Bub on June 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
SpecialBrew 5
Badlands is defintely the best Malick film!
Posted by SpecialBrew on June 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Mr_Friendly 6
I can't stand Terrence Malick's films, but Badlands is the exception. The scene with Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen dancing in the woods is worth the price of admission alone.
Posted by Mr_Friendly on June 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Ipso Facto 7
The Thin Red Line is one of the greatest movies of all time.

It's an existentialist masterpiece in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I haven't seen Badlands, will have to check it out.
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on June 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
I love me some Badlands but this trailer is seriously square, even by early 70s standards. But why all the hate on Malick? The New World was awesome (love the costume design, especially) and Tree of Life was different and visually interesting. He's not Hollywood cookie-cutter and that's a good thing.
Posted by mitten on June 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this