Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, June 28, 2012

ExxonMobil Says Climate Change Is Manageable

Posted by on Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM

ExxonMobil's CEO, Rex Tillerson, admits that climate change is real and caused by burning fossil fuels, but that we, as humans, can easily adapt to these changes.

As human beings as a — as a — as a species, that's why we're all still here. We have spent our entire existence adapting, OK? So we will adapt to this. Changes to weather patterns that move crop production areas around — we'll adapt to that. It's an engineering problem, and it has engineering solutions. And so I don't — the fear factor that people want to throw out there to say we just have to stop this, I do not accept.

I do believe we have to — we have to be efficient and we have to manage it, but we also need to look at the other side of the engineering solution, which is how are we going to adapt to it. And there are solutions. It's not a problem that we can't solve.

I agree that the key to our success as a species has been adaptability. We biologically and culturally evolved to be a highly adaptable animal. But anatomically modern humans, the current masters of the animal kingdom, have only been around for 250,000 years. And in that short of amount time, we have had agriculture for 15,000 years. And in that short amount of time, civilizations for 5,000 years. And in that tiny time, civilizations that burn fossil fuels for 300 years.

All of this is very, very, new.

I assume that ExxonMobil will be picking up the bill for all the adapting that will be necessary?
Posted by MR M on June 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM · Report this
Given all the time and expense they have put in to deny that global warming even exists, I suppose this is a step in the right direction.
Posted by TechBear on June 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Charles Mudede 3
@2, i hear you on that...
Posted by Charles Mudede on June 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Puty 4
Well, he's criminally wrong and a total scumbag and he'll have died I'n bed long before his nightmare legacy bears fruit.
Posted by Puty on June 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
So you can manage the destruction of the ecosphere? Who'd have thought?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM · Report this
prompt 6
@1 Agreed.

And what do we care? We'll all hopefully be dead before the impact hits the planet. The Earth is a fire sale. /s
Posted by prompt on June 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM · Report this
I just published a paper on geoengineeting which I assume is part of what he refers to. Turns out (1) holding down temperature is probaly not possible long term and (2) the consequences of geoengineering are sometimes very bad. Hey Mr Exxon, the climate system is dynamic, non linear, and many of the details are not well understood yet. This guy really has no idea what he is talking about.
Posted by wxPDX on June 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM · Report this
The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Posted by Vadt on June 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Sorry for the typos-- iPhone
Posted by wxPDX on June 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 10
we have no choice but to adapt. file under durr.

the fix will be non-technological: the planet will run out of fossil fuels to burn.
Posted by Max Solomon on June 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this
@7 In your opinion, to what extent is global warming caused by human activity?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on June 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
@10 I'm not sure a non-fossil fuels based society will be an improvement. We shall see.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on June 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM · Report this
I believe you mean "manageable" ??? Right?

But that executive also believes he can't exist without the monster-sized oil depletion allowance.

He also believes Ann Coulter is attractive. (Before or after her sex change, one wonders?)

Any chance anyone commenting here today might know who owns, or is the majority owner, of ExxonMobil?

Didn't think so......
Posted by sgt_doom on June 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM · Report this
@2, TechBear, that is without a doubt the dumbest comment I've ever heard --- and yet it is completely predictable, which is why that ExxonMobil exec prattled such drivel, he knew a specific segment of the douchetarded American public would have such a response.

A step in the right direction if one day the American Zombietard woke up and announced:

I wonder who owns that effing oil giant, anyhow????
Posted by sgt_doom on June 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
So... gills?
Posted by dirge on June 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM · Report this
16 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
Max Solomon 17
@12: actually, neither of us will see. we'll be long gone.
Posted by Max Solomon on June 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
@17 I don't expect to live to see the day when the supply of fossil fuels is completely exhausted. However, it would not surprise me if in 30 or 40 years oil was far less plentiful than it is today. On the other hand the folks at Exxon-Mobil are always finding new sources of oil and figuring out clever ways to get at it, so perhaps things will be little changed.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on June 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Yes, we are quite adaptable as a species and a society. So he's unintentionally telling us that we have a choice to adapt to a changing environment where we can't grow food where we do now so we have to grow it elsewhere (perhaps bulldoze a few cities that are suddenly in prime farm country?) or adapt to not using the fossil fuels which are causing the change.

Seems like a simple choice to me.
Posted by Root on June 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
To those who think global warming is merely an engineering problem that we can adapt to...you need to see this video.

Posted by BhamBrad http://bradreynoldspianotuning.com on June 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this
It is an engineering problem, but there's a lot of evidence that the easiest and cheapest (in terms of cost and human lives lost/negatively impacted) solution is to reduce emissions. Of course, it may not be the cheapest and easiest for Exxon Mobil...
Posted by decidedlyodd on June 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
@11 the fact that you pose the question suggests you need more information than I can provide here. Is there a way I can contact you? I'm happy to have an informed conversation about climate science without the kind of rhetoric that seems prevalent on the Internet.
Posted by wxPDX on June 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Small correction: we've had civilizations that burn fossil fuels in large quantities for 300 years. Petroleum has been known and used for thousands of years - it's even mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on June 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
@11 alternately please tell me precisely which aspects of anthropogenic climate change you find confusing or unconvincing. I will do my best to provide you with the appropriate research or to explain sources of uncertainty and ongoing research.

Really I mean it. The NSF funds me partly on the assumption that I do outreach.
Posted by wxPDX on June 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM · Report this
global warming isnt real... even if it is real its natural, not man influenced... even if it is real and man influenced we can totally handle any consequences... doesn't this line of reasoning make him a lying liar?
Posted by peskypoop on June 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 26
Climate change is arguably the best destroyer of species.
Before we came along that is. And who in the world trusts Exxon Mobile? They are just admitting what they can no longer deny. But now they say we should trust them. Just another money grubbing corporation corrupting our lives.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on June 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Yup. We'll adapt to Global Warming alright. With a massive and violent population contraction. The engineering solution will be what to do with the bodies.
Posted by tkc on June 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
Yeah, it is a big step that he's finally admitting it, even if he is playing it down.
Posted by floater on June 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
@24 You can reach me at fakekenmehlmen@gmail.com if you feel like it. About all I know about climate change is that Fox News says it's all lies.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on June 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
The content of this petroleum industry-sponsored message is the same as it's always been: Delay movement away from a fossil fuel based economy indefinitely.
Posted by Proteus on June 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this