Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Thursday, June 28, 2012

SL Letter of the Day: A Lover of the Arts Lovers

Posted by on Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You advice to the guy whose brother just came out made a lot of sense. I remember myself at that age and it was hard to meet someone and I was really frustrated. But you’re right, Dan, it was just a matter of getting out of the house. But it helps if you have something to do out side of the house that you actually enjoy. With me, it was going to see live theater. I love live theatre, so that part was great. But seeing plays has one big advantage over movies: most plays have intermissions. Since easily half the men at any given play are gay, and virtually all the men at a play alone are gay, a whole lot of cruising and flirting goes on during intermission. It might not happen in the theatre—it might happen in a restaurant, or in a nearby bar (gay or straight), before or after the show—but seeing plays is a great way to meet other gay men.

Worked For Me

My response after the jump...

·······················

Thanks for sharing, WFM, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to plug a little something I've been working on...

"Savage Love" readers in Seattle—or close enough to Seattle to get their asses here this summer—are invited to come see Miracle, my live-on-stage adaptation/parody of The Miracle Worker, premiering later this summer at Seattle's Intiman Theatre. Come for Helen Keller in drag—and the cruisy intermission—but stick around for the Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet), the Ibsen (Hedda Gabler), and the crazy, co-dependent couples "prone to battles and reconciliation" (Dirty Story).

Details here.

Backyard Bombardier 1
This explains why on the one occasion in my life that I went a play on my own, a very attentive usher showed me to a much better seat, and then came looking for me at intermission.

As a clueless, straight, twentysomething male, I just figured he was being nice.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on June 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Ophian 2
Huh, so that's what our Mr. Savage has been doing with all his free time. Wish I were still in the Northwest....
Posted by Ophian on June 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM · Report this
Gou Tongzhi 3
I'm a straight guy and I go to plays alone. Not on a regular basis, but sometimes. People shouldn't assume. I know he was probably saying it tongue in cheek, but it's like saying, "Every single jock is totally straight." People of varied sexual orientations have varied interests.
Posted by Gou Tongzhi on June 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM · Report this
secretagent 4
Dammit, I hate these softballs! Are all the hard questions answered or does Dan need a vacation? Both?
Posted by secretagent on June 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 5
OMG, you should do Hedda Gabler in drag. It would be hysterical.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on June 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 6
@5, and dress as Hedda Hopper.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on June 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM · Report this
Now that's the best kind of advice, the here's-how-to-do-it kind.
Posted by DRF on June 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM · Report this
Better yet, get involved in community theater! They are always looking for people to help with the props and stage setup!
Posted by rabidkangaroo on June 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
In addition to what the LR said, some theatres (ie, The Old Globe here in SD) have pre-show mixers specifically for LGBT audiences prior to specific performances. I would imagine that might be the case wherever the original LW's brother lives (assuming they have live theatre and/or a large enough LGBT community to support such a program).
Posted by Jared Bascomb on June 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM · Report this
Explorer 10
There is no gayer or cruisier play intermission in town right now than ArtsWest's XANADU, performed by a cast of dewy, barely-dressed twentysomethings.
Posted by Explorer on June 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this
John Horstman 11

I worked in theater for years, and while this might be true for areas where over half the male population at large is gay, it's patently untrue in my experience (while there *may* be a greater-than-average percentage of gay men, as theater has historically been a safe(r) space for gay men, it's not going to be half, even with all of the dudebros avoiding live theater - and not even all of the dudebros do so, nor are they all straight). That said, you're probably a lot less likely to get a homophobe-freakout reaction from hitting on a straight guy at a play versus somewhere like a basketball game, so it's still pretty good advice.
Posted by John Horstman on July 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this