Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Weather Channel's Current Map of American Heat Is a Work of Art

Posted by on Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Just look at those colors!

Screen_shot_2012-07-03_at_12.50.12_PM.png
The blistering reds, the sickly pinks, the feverish yellows. The only spot on the map that's not inflamed is around cool Seattle.

DOUG. 1
Six feet of snow at Paradise.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on July 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
I wouldn't say cool, I'd say cold.
Posted by Bloated Jesus is Bloated on July 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 3
This is global warming, America is the world, no one else matters.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on July 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM · Report this

Looks like Seattle real estate is a great investment!
Posted by balmontguy on July 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
It's been in the 90s and 100s the past week I've been in Omaha. Looking forward to highs in the 60s and low 70s when I get home tonight.
Posted by Nic in Greenlake on July 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 6
86 in NYC...help, we're burning up!

Seriously, you mossbacks need to take a plane trip once in a while.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
I prefer this one: http://graphical.weather.gov/
Posted by Justin on July 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 8
We are America's wine cellar.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on July 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 9
Remember kiddies, Global Warming is fake! LOL!!!! HAHAHAHA!!

Not really, it actually means humans won't be able to live on the planet in a hundred or so years without a great deal of protection and assistance. And the really bad news...it's largely too late to prevent that little reality.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
COMTE 10
@6:

86 just means the aroma of street urine and rotting garbage isn't quite as overpowering as it could be in dear ole' NYC...
Posted by COMTE on July 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
@ 2 I wouldn't even say cool once its in the 60s its kind of nice. The 70s are perfect and above 80 we got a heat wave.
Posted by Democrat1234 on July 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
and Charles its 65 right now
Posted by Democrat1234 on July 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this
COMTE 13
@9:

We'll still be able to live on the planet in another century, but just about everything between 50 degrees North Latitude and the Equator will be like Palm Desert this time of year.
Posted by COMTE on July 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this
it seems as though predictions from 10-20 yrs ago are correct...most things i heard about in climate classes in grad school - larger, more unpredictable storms, cool wetter NW weather, etc - are proving correct.

most of our food crops were developed to live in a fairly narrow band of weather/climate...major problems with crop failures due to extreme weather and unexpected pests infestations (due to milder winters) arent that far off.

happy 4th. ;(
Posted by Cassette tape fan on July 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Catherine from Bellingham! I am at a conference in Chicago for the week. I went outside today from 9:00-5:15. Ran 5 miles, walked for hours in the heat. I miss summer heat. Don't miss the rain one bit.
Posted by catherineku on July 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 16
The heat just makes them even KKKrazier.
Posted by Original Andrew on July 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
emma's bee 17
A sad graphic, indeed. I'm currently sitting in the only spot on that map between the Rockies and New England that is less than 84 degrees.
Posted by emma's bee on July 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
long-time reader 18
I'm feeling pretty smug about my decision to live in Portland right about now. Believe it or not, the weather was a big impetus (I don't care for direct sunlight).
Posted by long-time reader on July 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM · Report this
I so, so, so, so hate it when people around here start moaning about the sky being cloudy or summer not being here or whatever similar crap they have in mind. I always see it on the rare occasions when I catch the local television weather reports. "Boo, it's rainy and cloudy! But don't worry! Lots of sunshine coming our way next week!" Every time. (But then again, I detest local television network affiliates.) Heat and sun are considered "good" by default and rain or clouds are "bad", regardless of anything else. Then it's hot and blindingly sunny and you can't go out. Geez. Move to Arizona if clouds and rain bother you so much. If Zeus or Gaea are sitting on a mountain somewhere listening to the chatter of their creatures: Don't change the classic Northwest weather! Most people here DON'T want to be Palm Springs or Atlanta! We don't want to be Topeka! "Hot" and "sunny" are negative descriptors! It's just that the hot-and-sunny types are also the loudest. Don't listen to them. Amen.

There. It's off my chest.
Posted by floater on July 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
The colors, Duke! The colors!
Posted by Faber on July 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
True, the whole country is hot and we sure are not. But I'd like to point out that this snapshot is from temperatures valid at 12:15pm Pacific Time (which means they're hourly reports measured at ~11:55AM). So it's before the west coast has warmed up for the day, but after the rest of the country has heated up (plus: humid places heat up by about noon, but Seattle often won't top out until evening). A rule of thumb for a Seattle summer day is that it'll warm up 11 more degrees from 11am. But!: we're accelerating into summer finally: warmer and sunnier each day for the next week! And still nice after that!
Posted by G g on July 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
runswithnailclippers 22
I hear there is a cream that will clear that map up.
Posted by runswithnailclippers on July 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 23
July 5th, people! Every damn year I gotta remind everyone but my Grandma. Summer here starts on July 5th. Got it?! J-U-L-Y F-I-F-T-H, every goddamn year. It's like geoduck chucking or Sasquatch wrestling, it's tradition. Betcha all only bathe in organic free range dogfish oil too. Dainty mossless guppies, the lot of ya.
Posted by knobtheunicorn on July 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Mischa Vainburg 24
So jealous of your weather right now! I'm in Colorado and shit's burning.
Posted by Mischa Vainburg http://squidbasedink.wordpress.com on July 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM · Report this