Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

And Another Thing About Bruce Danielson

Posted by on Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Bruce Danielson, you may recall, is the "unqualified" candidate who's trying to kick exceptionally qualified incumbent Justice Steven Gonzalez off the Washington State Supreme Court.

Court watchers fear Danielson could actually win, based on a history of weird supreme court race outcomes, the well-established electoral benefits of having a common Anglo last name (Danielson) up against a clearly non-Anglo last name (Gonzalez), and the fact that this race will be decided in the low-turnout August primary.

Something you may not know about Danielson: In addition to being a little-known lawyer in Kitsap County who's failed at three runs for office in recent years, he's also a member of the Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club, where they offer the following class:

Constitutional Law: Do you know what your rights are? Do you have any rights in what has been described as a post-Christian era? This course will open your eyes to where we are, how we got here and what needs to be done to secure rights for the following generation. This course will give you a new understanding and appreciation for the rights afforded to all men and women by God and enumerated in the Constitutions.

When I spoke to Danielson for this story, I asked him about his gun club and the class it's offering. "What?" he replied. “I have never taken the class, and I have never been there when they are teaching the class... You try to never mix religion and politics and the law. They don’t belong together.”

It didn't sound like he was looking for another gun club, however.

And this article is different from Right-Wing tabloids attacking Obama over things his pastor said years ago......how? I'm sorry, but attacking someone for the description of a class they never took at a gun club is REALLY a stretch.
Posted by B^2 on July 10, 2012 at 7:01 AM · Report this
I'm with @1, this seems like a stretch. I've had some friends that believed some dumb things; doesn't mean I'm going to ditch them at a moment's notice in the name of political expediency.
Posted by Ben on July 10, 2012 at 7:31 AM · Report this
If the worst you can dig up on him is that e's a member of a rifle club that offers a class of dubious content for which you have no evidence he ever took, then don't bother wasting our time writing about it.
Posted by madcap on July 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
Elli, all you see doesn't have a Pulitzer written all over it.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM · Report this
Lew Siffer 5
I am going to vote for Danielson just because the Stranger keeps bashing him and re-iterating tired BS.
Posted by Lew Siffer on July 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM · Report this
More than likely Eli's real issue is that he enjoys shooting sports and is heterosexual.
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on July 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM · Report this
michaelp 7
Didn't Kitsap Rifle just have it's ass handed to it for all sorts of environmental and land use violations? Pierce County Superior Court Cause No. 10-2-12913-3? I vaguely recall reading about that.
Posted by michaelp on July 10, 2012 at 8:13 AM · Report this
Morever, Eli's self-righteous bullshit is going to cause him to crash land on planet Mudede.
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on July 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM · Report this
My favorite part about Danielson is his word choice in his voters guide. https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/Pa….

"As a Supreme Court justice, I will INSURE fundamental constitutional PRINCIPALS are not offended or altered for the sake of accommodating prevailing popular sentiment." (emphasis added) Really? I hear GEICO offers some fantastic monthly rates for fundamental constitutional principals policies.

And speaking of "fundamental constitutional principals." I hope that those principals are paid a lot because I'm pretty sure that my high school principal was neither fundamental nor constitutional.

Seriously, this guy wants to be a Justice and, in the most important two hundred words he's ever written, he can't even use the words "ensure" and "principles" correctly?
Posted by Jimmy2012 on July 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Maybe we need to investigate Eli Sanders qualifications ! Sounds like a hack job to me. Maybe Danielson once saw an alien. Hey Eli, were you a bed wetter or a thumb sucker ? We need a pair of your underwear sent to a crime lab. Your DNA needs a review.
Posted by skidmarkXX on July 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 11
Another vote with @1. I'm all for stuff like tarring Ron Paul with the love he's shown at Stormfront, but if you can't show that the guy is involved with the class at the club somehow, I'm not going to nail him for that association. Ditto @7. Is he an officer of the club, or just someone who goes there to shoot?

@9 makes a far more telling point. Rare for an unregistered comment to win the thread! Jimmy, you should register if you want people to read your comment. > 90% of unregistered comments are idiot trolls, so I don't normally open them.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on July 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this