Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What Do You Think of the Life of Pi Trailer?

Posted by on Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Here's the trailer for Ang Lee's Life of Pi, based on Yann Martel's novel of the same name. It comes out in 3D this fall:

I did not enjoy Life of Pi when I read it years ago. It might have made a decent short story, but I hate that Martel stretched it into a book, and then inserted his own self-important literary "criticism" at the end. When a fable feels the need to explain how meaningful it is, it stops being a fable and starts being a wankfest. I do not have confidence that this movie will be any less faux-wise. But! It's an Ang Lee joint, and it looks like it might make proper use of digital 3D for a change, so I'm not ready to ignore this movie yet.

mikethehammer 1
I read it back when it was all popular & thought it was allright. Also didn't really understand the business at the end, but whatever. Hey, wasn't there some sort of a controversy relating to the book? Maybe that large sections of it were plagiarized or based on someone else's ideas or something?
Posted by mikethehammer on July 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
The review from Samuel L Jackson was apt, "There's a mother fuckin' tiger, on the mother fuckin' boat!"
Posted by silverbackbob on July 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
I didn't like the book either, and I was alone in that in my book group. Not sure about the movie, though. I like Ang Lee a lot, but I'm not sure about the source material.
Posted by Sheryl on July 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
stirwise 4
Saw the preview in 3d before Promethius at the Cinerama. I wouldn't not see it, but that doesn't mean I will see it. Meh.
Posted by stirwise on July 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
I saw the 3d preview at Cinerama, too. It was un-fucking-watchable. I literally could not keep my eyes focused due to all the 3d shit flying around. In fact, all the 3d previews were so goddamn in-your-face that I thought I was in for a miserable couple of hours of Prometheus, but as soon as the actual movie started, they took a chill on the 3d masturbation and it was ok.
Posted by beef rallard on July 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Oh hey, that's a completely different trailer. The one I saw at Cinerama consisted of nothing but shots of the dude and the tiger in the boat, with fish flying everywhere.

Posted by beef rallard on July 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this
stirwise 7
@5: I wonder if the feature will be as garish as the preview. I actually thought for a little while that it was one of those advertisements for the company that does the 3D tech for the movie, a la THX, etc. It kind of looked proof-of-concept-ish, rather than preview-like.
Posted by stirwise on July 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM · Report this
It might be pretty good.

Anyway, the Stranger missed it opportunity to sit down and meet one it's star, Tabu - the Nichole Kidman of India - a few months back when she was in town at the Asian Art Museum. Most people did. A terrible shame. She is a delightful, talented, personable, and beautiful lady.
Posted by tkc on July 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
I need a more concrete review from Paul. If it's a book or a film and he hates it, I know I'll love it. I'll come back when he's feeling less wishy-washy.
Posted by mitten on July 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Stylistics are important, but despite my wish for more color and visual contrast in cinema, I just don't think this is the one. It's kind of like Punky Brewster's shoes: Contrast for the sake of contrast is not contrast.

Color, light, symbols—they must mean something, else the result is mere gibberish.
Posted by BD on July 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM · Report this
Fish Wrench Asteroid 11
The CGI tiger does not move like a living thing much less a tiger. There is economy to the motion of the great cats. A tiger would rather run away when seen than attack. A tiger would never risk it's balance to swipe it's claws at a small human that is clearly out of reach. All I can think about when the tiger is on screen is that is not a tiger. Ang Lee had the same problem with The Hulk so I think it's a problem with Ang Lee's judgement, and not the animators' fault.
Posted by Fish Wrench Asteroid on July 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM · Report this
Asparagus! 12
This book would have been a fun story if it didn't try to be anything more.
Posted by Asparagus! on July 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM · Report this

I've been devouring the series I Shouldn't Be Alive.

Many of the episodes are like real world versions of LiP.

For example:

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on July 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 14
I'll see it, but not in 3D. It was worth the extra price for Avengers, where the 3D was awesome, but for this?

The 3D looked really, truly awful in the new Spiderman preview I saw, too. But then, they release previews long before the film is in the can (Life of Pi releases in November), so I wonder if that's something that gets cleaned up more in post-production.
Posted by Free Lunch on July 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM · Report this
I really liked the book the first time I read it, and the second time I read it I stopped before the part you're talking about. I liked it even more.

I think the movie will have to grow on me.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on July 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 16
Did I see Prometheus in 3D? I must have because I remember hating this 3D trailer... but the 3D in Prometheus was... not noticeable? Unobtrusive? My mind is kind of blown right now.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on July 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 17
I never read the book, so have no idea what this is about. If it is an imagination kind of movie, it looks beautiful. At least in 2D. Not a fan of 3D for anything, so when this comes out I'll see it somewhere on a 2D screen.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on July 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Cephalodude 18
Adored the book, movie looks purty. Should be good! Constant is still an odious twat.
Posted by Cephalodude on July 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM · Report this
Sandiai 19
LOVED the book, including the "self-important literary 'criticism.'" The movie looks beautiful (to me).
Posted by Sandiai on July 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM · Report this
people should check out yann's first published book, which isa collection of his short stories. there are a couple of real gems in the there - you wont be disappointed!
Posted by Cassette tape fan on July 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM · Report this
Afreet 21
@5 I'm with you. I thought this trailer was one of the most obnoxious pieces of 3D I've ever seen. And that includes Avatar.
Posted by Afreet on July 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM · Report this
doublegin 22
Will they keep the part where he eats his own poop? The part with the tiger swimming looks cute, otherwise there's no way in hell I'd see it in a theater
Posted by doublegin on July 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
Fistique 23
If the fucking score from this trailer is anywhere near this film, it will be totally unwatchable without earplugs.
Posted by Fistique on July 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Michael of the Green 24
It's a fun game, predicting how slog commenters will vote on these polls. Sometimes it's too easy.
Posted by Michael of the Green on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this