Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Introducing Rob McKenna

Posted by on Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Jay Inslee introduced himself to voters with a great ad that probably moved him ahead in the polls. Rob McKenna? His introductory ad has him dweebing it up in the suburbs, trying to keep up with his wife while jogging, and kinda annoying his kids.

No contest on the first round of ad wars: big win for Inslee.

stinkbug 1
Saw this the other night and was shakin' my head afterwards. The humor is just dorky.

And every time I watch it I find myself staring at Rob McKenna's bouncing breasts towards the end.
Posted by stinkbug on July 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Cringe
Posted by Modern Classic on July 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 3
We shouldn't make fun of the first trans-gendered candidate for governor
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM · Report this
It's going to really hurt this dweeb when he loses to a former high school quarterback.
Posted by sall on July 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
I like the huge "W" in the screengrab. It makes me think of Dubya. And you know how much we need one of those governing us.
Posted by aiff on July 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
I can honestly say that that was cringeworthy, regardless of the underlying politics.
Posted by give me pom on July 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
COMTE 8
"There's a fortune, see? Three hundred and fifty thousand samolians, buried underneath a big "W"! Look for the big "W"!"
Posted by COMTE on July 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Asparagus! 9
I think the biggest problem with that McKenna ad is that it's too frantic. There's as much time spent with him speed talking a vague policy point as there is to his daughter saying "you go dad". There are no transitions, everything runs together, and I don't remember anything from it.

The Inslee ad is much more straight forward, more paced, it doesn't make me feel frantic listening to it.

On a side note, how awesome/butch is Inslee's voice? How great is his PNW draaaaawl?
Posted by Asparagus! on July 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Yuck yuck yuck. Is this what he is like around his family all the time? Way to depersonalize yourself.
Posted by michael bell on July 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Yeah, I saw this on TV a couple days ago and cringed.

There is just something kind of awkward and frantic about it.
Posted by MLM on July 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM · Report this
Asparagus! 12
Actually, more voices.

McKenna's bizzaro raised intonation in that whole ad:
- Doesn't sound like someone from washington
- Is somewhat disturbing and off-putting
Posted by Asparagus! on July 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 13
It reminds me of the last ad that George Nethercutt ran in 2004 against Patty Murray...the one where he was trying to act "human" in front of the green screen with his wife.

Republicans...they just can't fake being human
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
biffp 14
@1, those tiny, pointy man-boobs caught my attention. Is WA State going to be employing all those kids?
Posted by biffp on July 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM · Report this
picaroon 15
ATTENTION JAY INSLEE CAMPAIGN: Rob McKenna named his dog “W.” This is all a voter needs to know about him. This fact will guarantee an Inslee victory. I can only hope and assume you are keeping this devastating bit of oppo in the can so you can use it during the home-stretch of the campaign.
Posted by picaroon on July 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
seatackled 16
@8

Thank you.
Posted by seatackled on July 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM · Report this
picaroon 17
Imagine the attack ad: "Rob McKenna promises 'A new direction for Washington'? This from the man who named his dog 'W,' after George W. Bush? We don't need a governor who idolizes George W. Bush enough to name his dog after him. Rob McKenna: W is his bitch."
Posted by picaroon on July 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
pdp 18
I dunno. I saw it the other day and thought, "Man, that was good. I don't remember a damn thing about the policy positions, but I have this vague good feeling about McKenna and his energetic, loving family." I remember a similar Dino Rossi ad from his last race, and though he didn't win, he came a lot closer than a right wing nut has any right to in a blue state.

Now, naturally, I'm a lefty liberal and I think elections should be decided on policy positions, not vague warm feelings. But low-information voters decide these things, and that's what appeals to them.

I confess that I didn't notice the man-boobs.
Posted by pdp on July 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Remember, those are the most comfortable, natural takes they could get. Seems like he's not prepared.
Posted by pox on July 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Serious, @18? Most people already think politicians are geeks. McKenna’s ad won’t dispel that notion.

The rhythm of this ad is frantic. He came off as a pencil neck dweeb uncomfortable in his own skin.
Posted by sall on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
I think that I read somewhere that he is not a very good lawyer.
Posted by PaulBarwick on July 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
biffp 22
@19, I had to watch thinking that he moved so awkwardly that he must have a bone-on. Half of Seattle has aspergers so being a smartish, awkward loser might help. Rossi was so dead behind the eyes it's hard to understand hiring him to manager an Applebee's.
Posted by biffp on July 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Also must be nice for everyone in the family to have their own ipad, laptop, etc to communicate with. Seems a little elitist to me.
Posted by Eastside Por Vida on July 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
seatackled 24
This may sew up the Family Circus vote for him.
Posted by seatackled on July 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
Also, did he really just say that the state should pay 50% of residents' college tuition?

Isn't that SOCIALISM???
Posted by MLM on July 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 26
No wonder he's bad on women's health policy.. He has 5 kids, he probably doesn't know what contraception is.
Posted by thatsnotright on July 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Lurleen 27
moobs and incompletely realized fake enthusiasm are all anyone is going to remember here.
Posted by Lurleen on July 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 28
the mckenna men all wear crisp, ill fitting dress shirts with the sleeves rolled down WHILE THEY ARE AT HOME. would someone teach a politician how to roll a shirt sleeve up?
Posted by Max Solomon on July 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM · Report this
stinkbug 29
Here's a look at the breast action shown in the commercial:

Posted by stinkbug on July 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM · Report this
Was that an Onion parody? It's hard to tell if it was real. And will someone please get that lady a sports bro?
Posted by Confluence on July 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM · Report this
@22, half of Seattle and all of Redmond, but being Asperger's doesn't mean you'll vote for nasty rightwingers.
Posted by sarah70 on July 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM · Report this
watchout5 32
Wait a second, how's he going to pay for half the tuition? By making government more lean? That sounds like you're growing government. What a fucking tool.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on July 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM · Report this
LEE. 33
did anyone catch this commercial from a few years ago?

it came out prior to McKenna's bid for governor, but you could tell it was a primer for something...like Dad In Chief or something. creepy.
Posted by LEE. on July 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM · Report this
Picaroon,

'Rob McKenna named his dog “W.”'

Are you sure you're not mistaking McKenna for Dino Rossi? I though Dino's dog was W. McKenna has a dog names Stella. (Clearly not as fun for us, but there is something to be said for this "truth" concept.)
Posted by HADarryl on July 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
fixo 36
@ 8 and 16. You are dating yourselves!
Posted by fixo on July 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
D. Tooley 37
McKenna is a dweeb, no question - he is a good candidate for governor, but as this ad demonstrates, he's not yet ready.

Inslee, for different reasons, rates the same.

McKenna should've stayed AG backing up Brian Sonntag's plays as Governor. As such the State will likely fail regardless of that fact that we have the two best candidates we've seen in years.

BTW, Madeleine sounds pretty cool, I believe she is a Democrat and a bit of a Socialist in the Econ Program of the UW.
Posted by D. Tooley http://motleytools.com/blog on August 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Why does this early commercial show his family with 2 girls AND 2 BOYS, his later commercials he says he is the Father of 2 girls Are the 2 boys actuually more of Arnold Scwartznager's illigitamate childern Oh thats right wrong Republican governor!
Posted by Gilligan on October 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM · Report this