Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Restaurant Recommendation for Meat-With-Syrup on Capitol Hill

Posted by on Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Sometimes people email me for restaurant recommendations. I always answer! Here's one for Bobby.

Subject line: Since you offered

I’ve been trying to figure out the best teriyaki joint on the Hill. Any recommendations? I’m looking for something that offers to go.

Thanks,
Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Is there such a thing as teriyaki that is disallowed to go? Seems like the world would implode. Anyway, for everybody's favorite meat-with-syrup dish, we here at the office just operate under the what's-most-proximal-to-our-mouths-is-best rule, which means we go here.

But I realize that is a dissatisfactory answer, and surely commenters can do better.

Best,
Bethany

COMTE 1
King's Teriyaki on Broadway & E Olive, next door to Annapurna. Everything you want in a teriyaki place: cheap, fast, & filling.
Posted by COMTE on August 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
--MC 2
The HaNa. The chicken is actually MOIST, defying the rule that most teriyaki joints follow that all moisture must be eliminated from teriyaki chicken. If you order it at lunch, you can get it for cheap, and they don't include an iceberg lettuce salad.
They also have steak teriyaki, which I can only allow myself to have once every six months.
Posted by --MC on August 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
CC-Rob 3
Anyone remember Minami Teriyaki? Best ever! .
Posted by CC-Rob on August 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
benjammin509 4
King's is far superior to Kyoto. For more traditional cheap chinese food, the place next to Marination has good value lunch specials - comes w/ choice of a soup or can or soda for under $6.
Posted by benjammin509 on August 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
sikandro 5
My standards for Teriyaki aren't that high, but I really don't like Kyoto. I usually get the curry there, but Ballet has pretty decent teriyaki.
Posted by sikandro on August 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Callie 6
Terikyaki Madness on 15th, next to the 7/11!
Posted by Callie http://www.facebook.com/Klosetnerd on August 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 7
the best one is the closest one to your office
Posted by Max Solomon on August 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 8
Yes, Terikyaki Madness on 15th across from Group Health. It's an orgasm in your mouth.
Posted by Original Andrew on August 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
@6 and @8 must be on crack. Teriyaki Madness has mediocre sauce, high prices and poor service. The only reason that place stays in business is because of the rule Bethany mentions--it's the closest thing for those living in that neighborhood east of 15th.
Posted by decidedlyodd on August 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Fenrox 10
Man, Any alums of Roosevelt HS from the 00's? That tiny, dirty shack on 65th had the best teriyaki. That shit has never been beat in my mind. But I live in NYC now and teriyaki is terrible to non-existent here.
Posted by Fenrox on August 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
shout out to the dirty shack teriyaki spot rough riders for life,

Best Yaki on the hill though is at mia's off Broadway just up from hot mama's, bet you didnt even know they served that shit there uh?

also king's is gross I personally watched the health inspector close them down one day.
Posted by Eliot on August 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM · Report this
The place at 2nd and Pike is good, not sure of the name, we call it Scary Teriyaki at our office.
Posted by SammySeattle on August 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM · Report this
brandon 13
Teriyaki shouldn't be syrupy, it should be a shiny glaze and not sickeningly sweet. That crap ya'll eat in seattle is nasty. I went to one place that actually kept their teriyaki sauce in maple syrup bottles on the table.
Posted by brandon on August 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Toshi's makes some excellent grilled teriyaki. If you prefer the soupy, boiled-chicken teriyaki, I wouldn't have a clue.
Posted by sanotehu on August 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
I agree with Bethany. Kyoto Teriyaki marinates the meat rather than employing the "grill and drown" method. I (heart) their chicken teriyaki with a deep, mellifluous fervor.
Posted by johnnycache on August 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM · Report this
WOW! I CAN NOT FUCKIN' BELIEVE THERE IS AN ARTICLE TITLE WITH THE WORDS, "Meat With Syrup," ON A HOMOSEXUAL SITE. ALL MALE HOMOSEXUALS LOVE SYRUP WITH THEIR MEAT - CREAMY AND TANGY; NOT, SWEET!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON
Posted by CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON on September 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this