Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Friday, August 3, 2012

Rmoney Promises...

Posted by on Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

12 million jobs for America...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — Mitt Romney's economic advisers issued a rosy set of projections Thursday that predict 12 million new jobs and a sharp economic expansion if the Republican candidate were to capture the White House.
Vote for Rmoney! He is the candidate with a trick up his sleeve.

treacle 1
Well shit, if he can predict the future, he's got my vote!
Posted by treacle on August 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM · Report this
Does anyone else feel promises like this are a threat in disguise? "Vote for me, because I know how to fix the country. But if you DON'T vote for me, I'm certainly not going to tell anyone else how to do it and you can all go fuck yourselves."
Posted by NateMan on August 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
And we can trust him because he's been ever so forthcoming thus far! *eyes roll out of head*
Posted by jns on August 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM · Report this
tainte 4
rmoney! how cute. almost as cute as obummer.

i think we can point out the fact that he's a douche without resorting to childish names, chuckles.
Posted by tainte on August 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM · Report this
COMTE 5
What he doesn't say is that 9 million of these will require new employees to memorize the phrase, "do you want fries with that?"
Posted by COMTE on August 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 6
@.4.and you call him 'chuckles'. hello pot meet kettle.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on August 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Does this mean he has a secret plan?
Posted by Rocky Mountain Ben on August 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
I wonder what happened to all the jobs John Boehner promised us back in 2010?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on August 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 9
"We need jobs? Then I will create jobs! No, I will not tell you how. What else do we need? Hm... I will also fix the economy! No, I will not tell you how I will do that either. I will fix all the problems and give everyone everything they want. But you have to elect me president first. Then I'll make all that happen. Just trust me, ok?"
Posted by Urgutha Forka on August 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM · Report this
Cracker Jack 10
Romney releases his plan here.

Safe for work. Unless you've just sipped a liquid beverage.
Posted by Cracker Jack on August 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 11
Just the other day 'pubs were bagging on Obama for failing to deliver on his FOUR million job promise. The only way Rmoney can create three times as many jobs (and deliver - I don't know, five or six times more than Obama could) is if the GOP has deliberately NOT been taking action to improve things. In other words, playing a game of chess with unemployed Americans as the pawns.

Personally, I've already believed this to be the case - they won't let the jobs bill come to the floor. I'm not sure if it's even left its committee, or gotten any kind of hearing there. They won't even take it as a starting point and add all their poisonous amendments. The only reason I can surmise is what I stated above.
Posted by Matt from Denver on August 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
Pick1 12
@9 The worst part is that talking to conservative friends, they actually believe him when he's making these promises. Because he "seems really trustworthy."

It's the "I feel like I could have a beer with Bush and that's cool" thing all over again.
Posted by Pick1 on August 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Pick1 13
@11 You see, it's alright because they can justify that.
Posted by Pick1 on August 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
12 million new jobs... in other countries.
Posted by seileigh on August 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
@11, they don't have to be deliberately holding back measures they know would create jobs to issue this kind of projection. Romney's engaging in the usual executive practice of projecting sunny results while preparing to blame the rain on circumstances beyond his control.
Posted by YoungBS on August 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM · Report this
The same article quotes Romney and his team claiming they would reduce federal spending from 24% of GDP to 20% of GDP. Of course they don't explain how they would do it. Simple math suggests a spending reduction of $500 billion a year for 4 years or 3% of GDP.

The thing is we've seen this type of austerity plan implemented already. What happened? Modest recoveries were turned into renewed recessions. Want proof see the UK, Spain and Italy to name 3.

So Romney's plan amounts to throwing the US into a deeper recession then we are in now in order to create 12 million new jobs. Damn those are some magic undies he's wearing.

Posted by Machiavelli was framed on August 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM · Report this
rootwinterguard 17
When Jon Stewart asked Grover Norquist about why, despite the fact that supply-side economics, and shrinking government spending, has failed to produce the net increase in jobs and economic prosperity that Republicans promise, his response was: "It wins elections."

That's it.
Posted by rootwinterguard http://www.askanatheist.tv on August 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM · Report this
--MC 18
RMONEY, RPROBLEMS
Posted by --MC on August 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this
@12 I never understood that argument anyway, because I have not at any point thought GWB would be a fun person to have a beer with.
Posted by JenV on August 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM · Report this
ItsAllOverNow 20
I'm as sick of the 'Rmoney' joke as @4 but, @18 that's pretty good.
Posted by ItsAllOverNow http://nowaybro.blogspot.com/ on August 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 21
Pssh, that's nothing: I promise 24 bajillion new jobs if I capture the White House this November.

Posted by Theodore Gorath on August 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Let's do the math.

Eight years (in his wettest wet dream), each containing twelve months. Take that number, 96, and divide the 12 million jobs promised by Mitt the Twit. By my count, that's 125,000 new jobs a month.

We just had figures today saying that July (not the peppiest month of any year) added 163,000 new jobs.

So, this is better, how?
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on August 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM · Report this
@22 Ok, ok. So I didn't read the linked article first. Alright, he promised it in 4 years, not 8. Still, that's 250,000/month, and we just had 163,000 in a traditionally dead summer month. It's reasonable to assume that job growth will continue to accelerate. As usual, though, Mitt is not revealing any policy specifics. Chances are, whoever is president will benefit from the momentum, barring of course the teabaggy repugnicants tossing us off the fiscal cliff.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on August 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Not only will he create 12 million jobs, but everyone gets ice cream and a pony.
Posted by ddt58 on August 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
The Republicans don't even have to hold back any job-creating legislation. Since they constantly call themselves the job-creators, all they have to do is NOT HIRE PEOPLE. That makes Obama look bad, because they blame him for no jobs. Of course that doesn't make any sense, but Republicans don't make sense and their base doesn't demand it of them.
Posted by sarah70 on August 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
tainte 26
#6, ya got the joke. you win a cookie.

OF COCK.
Posted by tainte on August 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Karl Schuck 27
Is this anything like Richard Nixon's secret plan to (not) end the Vietnam War? Has anybody told Rmoney that Nixon's is not perhaps the best playbook in political history?
Posted by Karl Schuck on August 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
He says his Five Point plan will create 12 million jobs.

Can't wait to hear what Meinert has to say.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on August 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
It's an improvement, though. Remember Romney's 59 Point plan (September, 2011) only created 11 million jobs.

This new Five Point plan gets us a million jobs more, using a lean, mean Twenty Points to do the trick!
Posted by RonK, Seattle on August 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this