Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

How To Make a Chick-Fil-Gay Sandwich

Posted by on Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM

A long time ago, when I worked as a mall Easter Bunny in Colorado Springs, I ate a lot of Chick-fil-A. You may be surprised to know that working as a mall Easter Bunny doesn't pay that well, and so I had very little money; my budget often only allowed for Taco Bell or Chick-fil-A, and Taco Bell does not combine well with an Easter Bunny suit. Chick-fil-A was the best of a lot of terrible options.

So I have some sympathy for those people who say Chick-fil-A is too delicious to give up, especially if you're eating on a budget. But I would like to direct those people to this recipe for a Chick-Fil-Gay sandwich. The secret, it seems, is a pickle juice marinade. With some smart shopping, you could probably get the price of these homemade sandwiches down to something comparable to what Chick-Fil-A charges, and you can keep your conscience clear.

singing cynic 1
Here's another (very entertaining) version of the recipe - apparently there's confectioner's sugar(!) in the batter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKQObbeDN…
Posted by singing cynic on August 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 2
Chick-fil-a always seemed like one of the more expensive fast food options.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on August 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM · Report this
DOUG. 3
Don't eat chain fast food.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on August 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 4
When I was young and living off minimum wage jobs, I made sandwiches for myself rather than eating shitty junk fast food. Solves the whole Chick-fil-A problem
Posted by Reverse Polarity on August 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM · Report this
I worked at Chick-fil-A when I was in high school, almost 20 years ago. (To the best of my recollection, the chicken breasts weren't marinated.) If you like CFA (which I think is incredibly overrated), the McDonalds Southern Style Chicken Sandwich is very similar in taste.
Posted by EightiesFan on August 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM · Report this
My favorite recipe is from Patti LaBelle's cooking light cookbook. It is called "Tastes just like Southern fried chicken", which is baked and then broiled, juicy, flavorful, crisp on the outside, and is much healthier than fried chicken. Tip: use Japanese-style bread crumbs, which create an extremely crispy crust. Hungry yet?
Posted by mr pinky on August 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM · Report this
Citadel Mall sux ball...

Or were you at the ghetto CHapel Hills?
Posted by Colorado Springs is a toilet on August 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM · Report this
OrdinaryMadness.org 8
Can we see pictures of PC in a bunny costume?
Posted by OrdinaryMadness.org http://www.ordinarymadness.org on August 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 9
My shitty mall job was at Chick-fil-a...in fact, at a franchise in metro Atlanta that was at the time owned by Dan Cathy.

The recipe is pretty close to right (as best I can recall...it's been 18 years) except that they don't marinate the breasts at all. Simply flatten them out, dip them in the milk mix, then the flour, then fry.

Also, you need to use peanut oil (higher smoke point...you want it as hot as possible without starting a fire.)

Of course, in the restaurant they use pressure friers, which enables even higher-temp cooking, which goes a long way towards making them nice and tender (they also cook much faster that way.)

I'd also add that in the 3 months after I quit that job, I lost 15 lbs without making any other changes.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on August 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM · Report this
very bad homo 10
Wendy's actually does a really good chicken sandwich, for fast food.
Posted by very bad homo on August 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Schmapdi 11
I was out and about yesterday and noticed some new construction near the mall. "What's that going to be" I wondered. I drove a little further "Coming soon Chik-Fil-A."

Doh. We only get one after it's become the homophobic chain.
Posted by Schmapdi on August 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this