Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Today in Why I Don't Trust People with Guns

Posted by on Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Remember when NRA flacks were claiming that if other moviegoers had guns in the theater where the Aurora shooting took place, lives would be saved? This headline is the perfect rebuttal to that line of thinking:

Nevada moviegoer shoots himself in buttocks, apologizes, leaves theater

He dropped his gun during a showing of The Bourne Legacy, it went off, and it shot him in the ass. He has a permit for that gun. I don't feel any safer.

Hehe, rebuttal
Posted by Foonken2 on August 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 2
i want to be clear: did the bullet come out of his body or out of his gun? because i've been assured that people shoot people, not guns.
Posted by Max Solomon on August 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
@1 Yah, this guy will be needing another kind of rebuttal.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on August 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Why having a bunch of idiots with guns in an enclosed area is always a bad idea:

Posted by johnjjeeves on August 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
California Kid 5
Man if I where there I would have pulled out my SCAR-H Mk-17 firing 7.62x51mm NATO rounds with a AGOG night scope with the Speed Draw shoulder strap and I'd be like all pew pew! - Shooting his bullets out of the air before they could hit anyone, even his own butt! And all the cute girls in the theater would be thanking me and I'd get to be on Leno and Megan Fox would FINALLY answer my letters and then and then ...!
Posted by California Kid on August 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
This is why gun owners who are NOT idiots do not bring their gun to places like movie theaters.

The likelihood of you accidentally firing your gun and injuring/killing yourself or someone else is far greater than the likelihood of you having to defend yourself against someone else with a gun.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on August 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 7
@5 - Oh my. You have plans tonight, mister?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Paul - He shot himself in the ass, apologized, and _left_.

Honestly, I feel much safer, and wonder why you do not, when those packing guns in my vicinity leave.
Posted by The ass shot is just icing on the cake on August 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM · Report this
DavidC 9
After the Aurora shooting Bill Burr had a great bit about this on his podcast - echoing what many have said - lots of guns in a dark theater = the OK Corral.
Posted by DavidC http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/ on August 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM · Report this
wingedkat 10
Guns protect people best locked in a safe.

Really, the best way the government can protect people from shootings is by providing universal mental health care.
Posted by wingedkat on August 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Hernandez 11
Unless you have armed combat training, the likelihood that you'll be able to swoop in and save the day is negligible. A gun in the hands of someone who has no clue how to use it is worse than useless.

The odds are much better that you'll end up shooting yourself in the ass.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on August 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
@9: Not the OK Corral -- more like the opening sequence of The Wild Bunch.
Posted by Jared Bascomb on August 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Fnarf 13
Is 5280 vacationing in Nevada by any chance?

@5, I worship you.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on August 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM · Report this
@5 - You amaze.

"and I'd be like all pew pew!" FTW
Posted by Nezz on August 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Amnt 16
Breaking news, sometimes people do stupid things.
Posted by Amnt on August 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM · Report this
Asparagus! 17
Paul, the best rebuttal to that arguments are:

1) Someone 'responding' to the Giffords shooting last year with his handgun very nearly shot the person who wrestled the gun out of the shooter's hands. Because it's impossible to hear shooting, come running, and know what's going on.
1a) If you think you're ever going to pull out a gun and stop a shooting you're a delusional adult baby.
Posted by Asparagus! on August 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
One time, while I was commuting to work, a semi truck locked it's brakes, jack-knifed, and slammed into the car immediately behind me, pushing it off the road, and no doubt threatening several cars behind the wreck. Accidents happen.

I don't understand why there isn't the same disdain among gun control advocates for motor vehicles that there seems to be for firearms. I see this as a double standard. I think it much more proper to blame this hapless moviegoer for mishandling his firearm than the firearm itself - just as we blame drunk drivers for the damage that they cause, rather than blaming their vehicles.

Lastly, I perceive a tendency to stereotype all gun owners as paranoid reactionaries, drunken buffoons, or emasculated man-children. I would ask all who read this comment to avoid this tendency. In my opinion, these stereotypes are unfair to the vast majority of gun owners; and name-calling only fosters resentment and degrades the spirit of community.
Posted by Space_Magic_5 on August 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 19
@18 - I agree that those kinds of stereotypes are not helpful, as I know plenty of sane, careful gun owners.

But to continue your car/gun analogy, I wish the prerequisites for using a gun were at least as stringent as those for driving a car.
Posted by Free Lunch on August 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM · Report this
long-time reader 20
Eh, not really. The perfect rebuttal would be an incident where somebody tried to shoot down a spree killer, but accidentally shot innocent bystanders instead. And even that would be mere "anecdata".
Posted by long-time reader on August 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 21
But if someone came into the theater with body armor and an AK-47, this guy would've saved lots of lives.
Posted by Michael of the Green on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM · Report this