Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Slog Poll: What Is a "Leonetti's with Dinner"?

Posted by on Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Lordy! Brad Owen knows how to charm the fancy pants right off the rich with his talk of "quality cigars, fine wine, premium steaks and premier chocolates."

I'd love to fog up the window panes at that exclusive dinner! But the whispered promise of "Leonetti's with dinner" had all of us cut-rate cigar-smoking, Franzia-slurping, Whitman's Sampler snorfing Stranger staffers collectively scratching our heads.

Quality cigar-smoking businesspeople of Slog, we ask you:

Dominic Holden 1
Leonetti Cellar makes some great--but not cheap--wine.
Posted by Dominic Holden on August 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
@1 - Have I told you lately that you're no fun?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 3
@2) Have I told you that I still voted for "Theatrical reading of Mario/Luigi slashfic"?
Posted by Dominic Holden on August 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
LAH 4
95 POINTS
Leonetti Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley 2009
More than 30 years after Gary and Nancy Figgins founded the winery—the first in the Walla Walla Valley—Leonetti Cellar continues to make lay-down-worthy wines that stand among the state’s best. Here second-generation winemaker Chris Figgins crafts a cabernet sauvignon for the ages, loaded with opulent fruit, earth, and barrel flavors. $88
Posted by LAH on August 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
disintegrator 5
Leonetti is only okay, and this comes from someone with some in his cellar. If you have that much money, buy d'Armailhac or something like that for less.
Posted by disintegrator on August 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
@3 - This might be an event at the next unofficial Slog Happy. I will discuss it with Baconcat.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
treacle 7
4, Mmmm, barrel flavors...
Posted by treacle on August 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 8
I want to believe someone
#1 says the wine is great
#5 says the wine is only okay
Posted by dnt trust me on August 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM · Report this
@5 Are you mad? Leonetti is delicious! But I do not have a cellar, just an old closet, so what do I know.
Posted by mitten on August 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 10
...not slang for a handjob...?? what! That explains all those awkward rich people events I've been too...I was just trying to fit in!
Posted by ArtBasketSara on August 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
stinky 11
@8 I think it's safe to say that it's not priced conservatively. That help?
Posted by stinky on August 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 12
Sir Hosni Stink,

Gracias, that should help
Posted by dnt trust me on August 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
My opinion is it is very good wine, but high priced. The small amount of extra "goodness" is not worth being 3x to 4x the price of some very nice wines. But your mileage may vary.
Posted by garumph on August 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
What we should really be pissed off about is the inexcusable stray apostrophe "s" contaminating the end of Leonetti like some sort of dick cheese.
Posted by a hobo's dick cheese on August 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
@5 is right. Leonetti is overrated and overpriced. It's great wine, but it's still coasting on the fumes of its 1978 cab. There are better places to invest your wine dollar, even right here in little ol' Washington. If you do buy a Leonetti, aerate the f out of it. You can't coax its full flavor out of it - you have to wrestle it.
Posted by Centrists Rule the World today on August 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM · Report this
disintegrator 16
There are a ton of WA wines out there with more bang for your buck. Off the top of my head, Gramercy, Waters, Cadence, Mark Ryan, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

Their cabs (or Bordeaux blends) are just as good if not better, and run $30ish less a bottle.

Leo gets credit for being around at the beginning, but an entire industry has built up around them.
Posted by disintegrator on August 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this
disintegrator 17
Oh, and the other project the Figgens family has their fingers in, Drew Blesoe's 'Doubleback' cab, is actually way more fun to drink...
Posted by disintegrator on August 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM · Report this
disintegrator 18
Drew Bledsoe, that is. I can't type today.
Posted by disintegrator on August 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM · Report this
I unwittingly posted this to the comment thread before this one first, but I think you might all possibly be wrong here. According to Google, the #1 result for Leonetti's is Leonetti's Frozen Foods. So, this could also mean STROMBOLI (all-caps theirs) shipped in from Philly and nuked to perfection for the honored freinds to enjoy with dinner.
Posted by aiff on August 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM · Report this
leek 20
MacCroc, I would be delighted for the opportunity to read slashfic of any genre at a USH. Just sayin'.
Posted by leek on August 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 21
@20 - We are working on it. In the mean time, please gather whatever slash you'd like to read.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM · Report this