Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Friday, August 24, 2012

Starting Today: Samsara at Cinerama

Posted by on Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

For many filmgoers, the phrase "from the makers of Baraka" is enough to make a movie a must-see. Released in 1992 to international acclaim, Baraka compiled a year's worth of footage filmed all over the globe—Eastern religious rituals, time-lapse nature footage, German concentration camps—into a 90-minute "guided meditation on humanity." The resulting film dazzled viewers into a trancelike state that didn't preclude engagement of the brain.....Twenty years later, Baraka gets its sequel: Samsara, another nonnarrative cinema meditation, filmed over five years in 25 countries and exploring "the ever-turning wheel of life." Packed from start to finish with astounding images and sequences, Samsara is every bit the equal of Baraka, and perhaps even more impressive thanks to its state-of-the-art 4K digital projection at Cinerama (one of only a handful of US cinemas capable of such projection)....

Read my full review here and watch the trailer above.

MacCrocodile 1
I have never seen Baraka, but I've always wanted to. Maybe I'll watch them both this weekend.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 2
@Baraka's blu-ray on a really good setup is breathtaking. Difficult to watch at times, but visually it's still I think considered one of the benchmark productions for testing your TV. I saw it on a really high end I think 50" 120mhz with that upsampling stuff--that makes it appear faster than 24fps. That stuff is only good for animation, CGI animation, and... this sort of Planet Earth stuff.

It was insane, like you were in the film. I didn't know about Samsara, and I think I know what my next free evening is going to be...
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on August 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
"Guided meditation."
"Trancelike state."

Fuckin' brainwashing.
Posted by Central Scrutinizer on August 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Baraka is my #1 favorite movie of all time. I was thankful to catch it at the Cinerama about a year ago during their 70mm Festival. I'm seeing Samsara there tonight. A true feast for the senses!
Posted by Lori D. on August 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 5
I loved Baraka. I cannot WAIT to see Samsara!!
Posted by Reverse Polarity on August 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Beetlecat 6
@3 uh.. yeah.
Posted by Beetlecat on August 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 7
This looks transcendent.

I'd never heard of Baraka, will definitely look for it.

This is all very reminiscent of the magnificent Qatsi Trilogy.
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on August 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this