Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The End of Something

Posted by on Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM

The Undre Arms was the closest thing Capitol Hill had to a slum...

tempimage-8.jpeg

Tiffany 1
The halfway house section of Summit is just as slummy as the Umdre Arms, IMO.
Posted by Tiffany http://www.facebook.com/tiffany98122 on September 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Charles Mudede 2
almost, tiffany, almost.
Posted by Charles Mudede on September 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM · Report this
RIP Under Arms
Posted by jeffy on September 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 4
God, the backside of the Undre Arms looked like it was lifted straight out of a 1960's movie about backcountry folk living in a Louisiana bayou. Incredible. RIP UA.
Posted by More, I Say! on September 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Jeff Kirby 5
I lived three years in that glorious shithole and loved every minute of it. I wanted to find out when they were finally demolishing it so I could drink beer in a lawn chair in the Lifelong parking lot while it came down, but I guess I blew it. RIP
Posted by Jeff Kirby on September 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Charles, will you please, please, but a decent camera-phone. Your pictures are terrible.
Posted by kgdlg on September 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
treacle 7
That place was a trip. I used to work across the street and was told that in previous years the manager would put pro-God/anti-gay messages in his window facing Lifelong. Not sure when that ceased. He still had two large eyeballs in the second floor looking at Lifelong. I can only assume he meant them as the "eyes of God" starting at the sinners.

Also, hilariously, some tenants scored the website theundrearms.com (now defunct, sadly), the URL of which was on the front of the very building. They used the website to disclaim the homophobic and generally insane stance of the owner/manager/whomever/asshole/bigot was running the place.

I'll kinda miss it, but the density will be good, assuming they don't put high-priced boutiquey storefronts at the bottom and actually make them useful small business space.

How long do y'all give for the Lifelong building/compound to be sold by the owner and turned into a multi-story whatsit? 5 years? 8? 10?
Posted by treacle on September 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 8
@7,

I think the last time I went by the Undre Arms, I didn't notice any signs, but anti-abortion signs were common for the entire time I lived on the Hill (2005-2009).
Posted by keshmeshi on September 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
very bad homo 9
@6 It's ART.
Posted by very bad homo on September 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Andrew_Taylor 10
@7 see:

Posted by Andrew_Taylor on September 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Posted by Andrew_Taylor on September 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM · Report this
I'm going to miss that place, I had alot of fun living there in the lovable shithole for a year and a half. Great location to stumble back to from the bars on capitol hill.

ps the abortion signs displeasure when the hardcore catholic owner was bought out by some property management company, probably around 2009 sometime, which is when i left since they were supposedly going to demo the building "in a couple months" as they told me at the time. Obviously they waited awhile to do that, but I'm still going to miss that place. That said they could do something really cool with that triangle block across from seattle u, hopefully it is not a cookie-cutter condo and has some character to it
Posted by high and bi on September 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM · Report this