Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Washington State's Stupid Fucking Anti-Vaccine Hippies Now 14 Percent Less Stupid!

Posted by on Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Immunization rates for Washington toddlers improved last year, from 71 percent in 2010 to 75 percent in 2011, putting our state above the national average (74 percent) for the first time ever.

"There are so many tragic diseases that can be prevented by making sure children get recommended vaccines," State Health Officer Dr. Maxine Hayes said in a news release. "It's one of the most important things a parent can do to protect their children, families, and communities from serious preventable diseases."

The state Department of Health survey measures six vaccines—DTaP, polio, MMR, hepatitis B, chickenpox, and pneumococcal—and comes in the midst of a statewide whooping cough (pertussis) epidemic.

MacCrocodile 1
Maybe this means the anti-vaxers are killing themselves off. Give it another generation or two.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on September 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM · Report this
SecretBYUBottomBoy 2
I'm more concerned about their innocent neighbors they put at risk by their selfishness.
Posted by SecretBYUBottomBoy on September 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Did you mean from 61% to 75%? Or from 71% to 85%? If not, where does the 14% figure come from?
Posted by shams on September 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Alcon Blackhawk 4
@shams: 29% to 25% non-vaccination rate means a 14% decrease in the non-vaccinating rate -- not percentage points, but a decrease in the proportion.
Posted by Alcon Blackhawk http://www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com/ on September 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Kinison 5
The only problem I had with inoculating my 3 month old daughter was .... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! for 12 straight hours. Worth it...?
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on September 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Goldy 6
@3: What @4 said. #arithmetic
Posted by Goldy on September 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 7
Kimya Dawson is one.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on September 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
How do other countries compare? Why are 26% of kids nationwide unvaccinated? Do the numbers include infants, or is that the noncompliance rate?
Posted by wxPDX on September 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
@5. Worth it. Have you ever seen a baby with a whooping cough? I have. I am a physician and I live in a third world country. 12 straight hours of crying beat the hell out of a week of suffocating, going blue, and then maybe dying.
Posted by ferfer on September 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 10
@5 Video, or it didn't happen. My kid got every shot, including a flu shot every year, and never cried for more than about 12 seconds. And she's not a real toughie.

But as said @9, it would still be worth it if you're not exaggerating
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on September 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM · Report this
Jessica 11
I just got into a "discussion" with someone on Facebook today who didn't want to "put all that crap" into her kid (he's in 6th grade) by giving him the Tdap booster. Thank fuck for her kid, who actually understands science and insisted on getting it anyway. She smokes in the car with him, I'm sure that's 100X worse than anything in the shot itself.
Posted by Jessica on September 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM · Report this
@5, I got the Tdap shot today and my shoulder aches like a bastard, so I can relate. But if it means I won't pass pertussis on to any babies then it's totally worth it.
Posted by JenV on September 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM · Report this
@12: Thank you. There was an outbreak of pertussis in my child's daycare when she was a baby. Babies don't get all three necessary doses right away, so babies are vulnerable, even if they have responsible parents. But if adults were all fully vaccinated, there'd be less infections out there for babies to be vulnerable to, and it wouldn't be a problem. So, thank you for getting the shot. All the babies in my daughter's daycare recovered, but it doesn't always go that way, and it was scary for the affected babies, and their families. Yes, much worse than crying for 12 hours, even if that actually happened.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on September 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM · Report this
@11: seriously?! She smokes in the car w/her kid and is worried about vaccines? Stupid is as stupid does and all that, but, shit, that's stupid.
Posted by gnossos on September 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 15
People who don't vaccinate their children are negligent, and therefore, bad parents. Bad parents should lose custody of their children for twenty-four hours so foster parents can vaccinate the kids.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM · Report this
batty 16
I had pertussis this summer (the adult vac was developed and included with the tetanus shot in 2005, I had my last tetanus sometime around 2003-4 and didn't figure it out until too late). It sucked a LOT, but my terror was killing a baby. I've bickered with anti-vac people a lot since I spent MY ENTIRE SUMMER coughing horribly. Many of them say they practice "responsible quarantining," but none of them can tell me how you do that with a disease where you're contagious 7-10 days before you have symptoms. Dumbasses. Seriously.
Posted by batty http://aynrandfunfacts.tumblr.com/ on September 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM · Report this
@11. Smoking around babies is so inconsiderate, not to mention abusive. I had my adenoids out at 3, my tonsils at 6 and pneumonia at 7 because I lived with a smoking father and grandfather. My lungs are permanently damaged. Shows up in every X-ray. In some states that 'mother' could be charged with child abuse, and should be.
Posted by Gonesouth on September 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
@11 got me so upset that I forgot to ask my question:
How do unvaccinated children endanger vaccinated children? I know vaccines aren't 100%, so does all children being vaccinated lower the statistical probabilities?
Posted by Gonesouth on September 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM · Report this
Nice headline...I should have stopped there! All of you are quite blind. Do some real research people....do you think there would be this much controversy if there wasn't real ill effects happening because of the vaccines? And @15 - the ones who should be punished are the ones pushing for mandated vaccination. You should be ashamed. It's just a matter of time...then you will all be wishing you would have listened earlier.
Posted by Proud antivax on October 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM · Report this