Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"We wish we didn't have to be here"

Posted by on Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

As much as I love to poke fun at Joe Biden, this short speech he gave today in Shanksville, Pennsylvania at a memorial for United Airlines Flight 93 is a simply incredible meditation on grief and what it means to survive:

I think you linked the wrong vid....
Posted by cracked on September 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Beautiful. Just simply beautiful.
Posted by jwlsesq on September 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM · Report this
tearing up just watching. how genuine.
Posted by gawd on September 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
This is exactly why making fun of Biden never does him a bit of harm, no matter how much energy people like to put into it.
Posted by gloomy gus on September 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
treefort 6
he made me cry.
Posted by treefort on September 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
Here for those who can't watch is the transcript from the White House (h/t TPM, whose David Kurtz's post is terrific on this):
10:30 A.M. EDT
THE VICE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Mr. Secretary. Superintendent — Jeff, you’ve done a remarkable job here. And the thing I notice when I speak to you about is you’re invested in this place. It sort of has a — sort of stolen a piece of your heart. And that’s why I’m confident that all that you plan will happen.

Patrick, you’re keeping the flame alive, and keeping the families together is — from my experience, I imagine you all find solace in seeing one another. There’s nothing like being able to talk with someone who you know understands.

And it’s an honor — it’s a genuine honor to be back here today. But like all of the families, we wish we weren’t here. We wish we didn’t have to be here. We wish we didn’t have to commemorate any of this. And it’s a bittersweet moment for the entire nation, for all of the country, but particularly for those family members gathered here today.

Last year, the nation and all of your family members that are here commemorated the 10th anniversary of the heroic acts that gave definition to what has made America such a truly exceptional place — the individual acts of heroism of ordinary people in moments that could not have been contemplated, but yet were initiated.

I also know from my own experience that today is just as momentous a day for all of you, just as momentous a day in your life, for each of your families, as every September 11th has been, regardless of the anniversary. For no matter how many anniversaries you experience, for at least an instant, the terror of that moment returns; the lingering echo of that phone call; that sense of total disbelief that envelops you, where you feel like you’re being sucked into a black hole in the middle of your chest.

My hope for you all is that as every year passes, the depth of your pain recedes and you find comfort, as I have, genuine comfort in recalling his smile, her laugh, their touch. And I hope you’re as certain as I am that she can see what a wonderful man her son has turned out to be, grown up to be; that he knows everything that your daughter has achieved, and that he can hear, and she can hear how her mom still talks about her, the day he scored the winning touchdown, how bright and beautiful she was on that graduation day, and know that he knows what a beautiful child the daughter he never got to see has turned out to be, and how much she reminds you of him. For I know you see your wife every time you see her smile on your child’s face. You remember your daughter every time you hear laughter coming from her brother’s lips. And you remember your husband every time your son just touches your hand.

I also hope — I also hope it continues to give you some solace knowing that this nation, all these people gathered here today, who are not family members, all your neighbors, that they’ve not forgotten. They’ve not forgotten the heroism of your husbands, wives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers. And that what they did for this country is still etched in the minds of not only you, but millions of Americans, forever. That’s why it’s so important that this memorial be preserved and go on for our children and our grandchildren, and our great-grandchildren, and our great-great-grandchildren — because it is what makes it so exceptional. And I think they all appreciate, as I do, more than they can tell you, the incredible bravery your family members showed on that day.

I said last year my mom used to have an expression. She’d say, Joey, bravery resides in every heart, and someday it will be summoned. It’s remarkable — remarkable — how it was not only summoned, but acted on.

Today we stand on this hallowed ground, a place made sacred by the heroism and sacrifice of the passengers and the crew of Flight 93. And it’s as if the flowers, as I walked here, as if the flowers were giving testament to how sacred this ground is.

My guess — and obviously it’s only a guess; no two losses are the same. But my guess is you’re living this moment that Yeats only wrote about, when he wrote, pray I will and sing I must, but yet I weep. Pray I will, sing I must, but yet I weep.

My personal prayer for all of you is that in every succeeding year, you’re able to sing more than you weep. And may God truly bless you and bless the souls of those 40 incredible people who rest in this ground.
More...
Posted by gloomy gus on September 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Holy Crap, there's dust in this room!
Posted by MLM on September 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
disintegrator 9
This shit was fucking moving. I cried in my car when I heard it. Wow, just wow.
Posted by disintegrator on September 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
@4, 6, 9 -- Me, too, but seriously. I still have trouble dealing with that day, and the aftermath. Didn't realize I still carry that much pent up grief.

Maybe a little less now.

Joe may have his faults, but being a compassionate, warm, open-hearted human being isn't one of them.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on September 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Enigma 11
Thanks for the transcription, gloomy.

So many emotions captured by the speech. Amazing.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on September 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM · Report this
Granny Smith 12
Imagine Sarah Palin giving a speech to mark this occasion and thank the heavens for Joe Biden.
Posted by Granny Smith on September 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Wow. Tears in my eyes. Thank you, Uncle Joe.
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on September 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
VelhoSorriso 14
"Pray I will and sing I must, and yet I weep." - Yeats
Posted by VelhoSorriso on September 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 15
Spectacular. Thank you, Joe.
Posted by TreGibbs on September 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 16
Geez, so much sand in my eyes all of a sudden.

Thanks Uncle Joe, and thanks to Gus for the transcript.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on September 12, 2012 at 6:06 AM · Report this
The man has known his share of grief.
Posted by dbgill56 on September 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
kim in portland 18
Very beautifull. The Yeats quote was perfect.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on September 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM · Report this