Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Thursday, September 13, 2012

What Do You Think of the Lincoln Trailer?

Posted by on Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis! Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Steven Unhyphenated-Spielberg! Abraham "Fucking" Lincoln!

Will in Seattle 1
I for one am glad that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is being redone as an IMAX 3D movie.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM · Report this
I confess I really wasn't impressed with this trailer, but I still wanna see it damnit.
Posted by Wedgwood99 on September 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM · Report this
I think the music is tired!
Posted by Erok on September 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
Dougsf 4
On the merits of Daniel Day-Lewis alone, I'll have to give this film the benefit of the doubt. That trailer, however, was kinda... errr... samey.
Posted by Dougsf on September 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
Big fan of Civil War history and would love more good films made of it. Lincoln's life could make a dozen good movies, particularly the last few months of it. Daniel Day Lewis is a fantastic actor. That split second shot of Jared Harris as Grant gave me chills. All that said, Spielberg makes shit movies these days, and I doubt his ability to not fuck it up. I expect I'll see the film, and be disappointed by it. Hope I'm wrong.
Posted by GermanSausage on September 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM · Report this
mike in oly 6
I'm excited to see it, as I grew up in Ill., and Lincoln was as omnipresent as Jesus, as far as iconography was concerned. His presence was everywhere yet all we learned was the usual mythology, and little about the man himself. Maybe this will humanize him. Prolly not. But, yay Lincoln anyway! Kill those vampires/rinos!
Posted by mike in oly http://enotaipes.blogspot.com/ on September 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 7
Being a bit of a Civil War buff I'll go see the movie. Have to agree with Dougsf however. I hope it's better than the trailer.
Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on September 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM · Report this
Gordon Werner 8
the comments on the YouTube video page get a little out of hand though ...
Posted by Gordon Werner on September 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM · Report this
Yoder 9
I really enjoyed "Team of Rivals," and Daniel Day Lewis in a Tony Kushner adaptation is a win.

It sounds like John Williams is really pulling out the "epic history" stops in the score, though, which could get a bit old after an hour or so.
Posted by Yoder http://www.denimandtweed.com on September 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM · Report this
eastcoastreader 10
God, "War Horse" nearly killed me with the schmaltz, I really hope they tone that shit down with this movie, but the trailer isn't looking good in that regard. still totally going to see it.
Posted by eastcoastreader on September 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM · Report this
That's supposed to be an Illinois accent? He sounds more like Jimmy Carter.
Posted by ...or Scarlett O'Hara on September 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM · Report this
Mary Todd Lincoln was a looney and the high pitch-voiced Lincoln himself was a quick witted smart ass. I don't see either of those things in this trailer. What I do see is lots of thick, heavy important-drama music and scenes of dramatic speeches or black Americans choking with emotion. In other words, I see a whole lot of predictable excessive effort. I liked E.T. and Jaws, but I'll pass.
Posted by floater on September 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM · Report this
This looks terrible.
Posted by Jude Fawley on September 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM · Report this
passionate_jus 14
A good way to celebrate the upcoming Obama landslide!
Posted by passionate_jus on September 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM · Report this
passionate_jus 15
That and a Guiness since he's half Irish.
Posted by passionate_jus on September 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 16
It's so disheartening to see what's become of the Republican party.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on September 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM · Report this
Who knew Abe looked so much like DD-L? Lucky bastard.
Posted by Nate Dogg on September 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM · Report this
Lola, Missing Iowa City 18
You can just listen to 5 bars of the music to know it's a schmaltz-fest. Yuk. And I love DDL.
Posted by Lola, Missing Iowa City on September 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM · Report this
This looks god-awful.

I love historical movies, though, and have always been disappointed in how few movies focus on U.S. history. (There are a million French and English historical dramas, but only a handful of U.S. ones.) So I'll see this movie, though against my better judgement.
Posted by mitten on September 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM · Report this
Michael of the Green 20
Antisemitic much, this poll?
Posted by Michael of the Green on September 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Needs more Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
Posted by nephari on September 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this
McGee 22
Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky to people from Virginia and didn't move to Illinois until 1830 when he was 21. A southern drawl is is more likely than not.
Posted by McGee on September 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this