Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mormons Plan a Day of Fasting and Praying to Help Romney in Debates

Posted by on Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

BuzzFeed reports:

The plan — which is not endorsed by the politically neutral Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — is laid out in an email inviting like-minded Mormons to fast on September 30th with the purpose of bringing God's blessings to Romney as he heads into the presidential debates..."I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney," the author writes. "That he will be blessed in the debates, which will be held starting Oct. 3rd. I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe 'from small things, great things can come about.'"

So far, I've seen no word on an atheist day of gorging and masturbating in response to this plan, but if I hear about it, I'll let you know.

Its called Wensday Paul.
Posted by Jonathank5 on September 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
I'm an atheist, every day is gorging and masturbating.
Posted by unpaid reader on September 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 3
What?!?

Do ANY religious people realize how fucking far removed the teachings of their faith are from the requests of their religious leaders?

I cannot believe they don't see the giant chasm between the two.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on September 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 4
Well, I'm not an atheist but I am intrigued by this "gorging and masturbating" custom. It sounds quaint and old-timey... Can I come? (ha!)
Posted by ArtBasketSara on September 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM · Report this
Does the fat in the food weigh down the prayers so much that they cannot reach God?
I'm a bit confused on why they want people to skip eating.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on September 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Tovirus 6
How about an atheist's Gorging and Fornicating Day. I'm just saying, if we're all there, why masturbate. Unless that's your thing of course.
Posted by Tovirus on September 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
I think that this is a wonderful idea. In fact, it's so great an ideal that I think they should all fast for a couple of months or so.
Posted by Lymis on September 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Posted by wisepunk on September 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
ryanayr 9
Is masturbating the opposite of praying? Seems like both are quiet time spent alone devoted to self-exploration.
Posted by ryanayr on September 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 10
@6- "I'm just saying, if we're all there, why masturbate."

TRADITION
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on September 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
It's never a good sign when your best chance of winning is praying extra hard.
Posted by Proteus on September 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 12
you cannot petition the lord with prayer
-jim morrison
Posted by Max Solomon on September 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
very bad homo 13
They should fast until after the election.
Posted by very bad homo on September 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Perhaps Jews could get our prophets together, especially the really noisy ones--well, they're all noisy--and drown out those prayers. I'd love to see Romney robots faced by an angry Isaiah.
Posted by sarah70 on September 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 15
Enemas. They need a good old fashioned group enema. There's a lot of shit in those people.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
@2 for the win.
Posted by Chicago Fan on September 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
"the politically neutral Church ..."? Seriously? Who put the idiot pills in that one's breakfast?
Posted by Calpete on September 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
mrbarky 18
Alright who forgot the napkins!!!
Posted by mrbarky on September 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 19
@2 i'm a baptist and everyday is about gorging and masturbating
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on September 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Schmapdi 20
I'll be masturbating that day - but only because I'm really turned-on by hungry Mormons.

Posted by Schmapdi on September 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 21
Somebody somehow turn this into a Hump submission, stat!
Posted by Dr_Awesome on September 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Romney's campaign's so dead the LDS church is planning to baptize it.
Posted by rainbird on September 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
I wonder if they fast and pray whenever Harry Reid's up for an election, too. You know, because they're "politically neutral" and all.
Posted by catsnbanjos on September 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
An extended family member sent me this email. It's more than a little creepy.
Posted by Hannah in Portland on September 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
@22 For the zinger of the day!
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on September 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
biffp 26
Apple picking season is like Mormon Mardi Gras.
Posted by biffp on September 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Yes, rainbird! Brilliant.
And what the hell are they praying for, exactly? That Romney will only have to answer questions about his hair?
Posted by Curtis Interruptus on September 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM · Report this
Intro1 28
YOUR ALL SICK, VERY VERY SICK.

TRYING SOOO HARD TO BE CUTE, WHAT ARE YOU 15 ?
Posted by Intro1 on September 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
@ 6 - Handjobs Across America.
Posted by Half Brick on September 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM · Report this