Slog

Friday, September 28, 2012

A Restaurant Recommendation for a Gluten-Free Birthday Dinner for Ma

Posted by on Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Tilth.
  • tilthrestaurant.com
  • Tilth.

Sometimes people email me for restaurant recommendations. I always answer! Here's one for Ryan and his mom (awwwww!).

Hello Hello Hello!

So my Ma was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy as well as a dairy allergy. Her birthday is approaching rapidly and calling around looking for a place that serves a primarily gluten-free menu is starting to get me down. Most places have one, maybe two items and swear that they can "whip something special up" but what I'm really looking for is a menu full of choices for my Ma! At the very least on your birthday out to eat you should have some options! My folks live in Tacoma, but we're more than willing to drive for good food! Thank you so much!

Regards,
Ryan!

Hi Ryan!

First of all, CUTE. Your ma is lucky to have you. I emailed my thoughtful, lovely, gluten-intolerant friend Holly about your ma's birthday dinner, and while she didn't have ideas for down south, her first thought was to recommend Staple & Fancy in Ballard. She went there recently and had the "fancy" menu (a multi-course seasonal menu made for everyone at your table), and she says, "All I had to do was breathe the words 'gluten free' and I was beautifully fed—they even had gf pasta on hand! It was kind of amazing. It was especially magical for me because I like turning my dining experience over to a higher power, but that's often not an option for restricted types. So relaxing and fun."

And despite your reluctance to do so, she suggests that you do choose a non-primarily-gluten-free place—a place that is just really good—put yourself in their hands, and be ready to be happy with what they "whip up." Of course, you would want to let them know what's up when you make your reservation... Holly also has had great gluten-free, celebratory dinners at Tilth, Madison Park Conservatory, and Cafe Flora (which is also vegetarian). Reassuringly, she says, "Anywhere he goes that's on the nicer end of the spectrum is going to take good care of his mom... Just go somewhere where real people are cooking real food made out of, y'know, ingredients, and they'll be fine." And if you want to go more casual (and less expensive), "Razzi's pizzeria in Greenwood has a completely GF menu and a completely vegan menu, on top of their traditional one. Many options!"

Yay for Holly and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your ma! Let us know how it goes.

Best,
Bethany

Towards the southern end of Seattle you have the excellent St. Dames:

Just about the whole menu is available GF. They don't serve meat, but I've never missed it when I've eaten there. Everything they've served me was good-to-great. They follow the food up with some very tasty drinks and it all isn't so expensive as to break the bank.
Posted by John Galt on September 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM · Report this
I am allergic to everything and I would highly recommend Chaco Canyon in the U District. They can make most everything gluten free. You can check out their menu online.

There is also The Flying Apron Bakery in Fremont which is entirely gluten free and they have different cafe fare daily like sandwiches, pizza and pasta.

Good luck!
Posted by JonnyH on September 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
stinkbug 4
C'mon, spill the beans on whether or not your step-brother Questionland is gone for good. People used to use that site for restaurant recommendations.
Posted by stinkbug on September 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Skelly and the Bean on 10th (north end of Cap Hill) will feed you very, very well, gluten-free. Just tell the server.
Posted by Cornellhockeyfan on September 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM · Report this
The last place I tried in Seattle was Etta's and it was heavenly. I'm celiac and find your advisor is exactly right...it's gotten SO much better. Restaurants with really solid cooks/chefs who use whole ingredients and cook from scratch take the challenge to heart and treat us really well. Tell them you're gluten free and stress it's a medical condition and they're on it. Rarely do I experience any problem with cross-contamination in kitchens when I explain this. Since going gluten free has become something of a health fad, I find it's important to stress that it's a medical issue. It's not making a big deal but being clear and pleasant about it. I expect they can handle it and they do.
Posted by DeborahKate on September 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM · Report this
@7 Two years ago I probably would have made a similar snide remark. Then I got sick. Diarrhea, nausea, headaches and weird aches and pains in my joints. I was scared to death that I had MS.

Thankfully I had a close friend who was a 'homeopathic poser' from Bastyr. She recommended an elimination diet to see if I had developed some kind of allergy. Yep, it was Gluten. Forty years of pasta, bread and beer and suddenly, it was making me sick. I had/have a 40 gallon micro brewery in my garage and hoped to one day retire and start a brewery. I add that so you understand, the last thing in the world I wanted to do was cut out Gluten. But I did. And while I still get frustrated, it was no doubt the right thing to do. Now days, I go out with friends, have a couple glasses of wine/cider, whatever, and think 'fuck-it, I am gonna have a beer and piece of pizza'. I wake up the next day feeling like crap.

So allergy, sensitivity, whatever it is, it's real.
Posted by chucklingmonkey on October 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM · Report this