Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Few Words About Looper

Posted by on Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Even though it features Bruce Willis—who is basically the Phil Collins of acting—Looper is just fucking terrific.

Fried Worms 1
I thought it was just okay. Not bad, not great. Better than the average popcorn movie. My biggest criticisms are:

[SEMI-SPOILER ALERT! only semi. not ral spoilers, but still consider yourself warned]

1) the sudden amount of excessive shoot-'em-up violence with Bruce Willis' Joe about 3/4 thru the movie
2) the impossibility of emphathizing with old Joe once he goes on his violent rampage and with one particular murder he commits just prior to that.
3) the ending. Big disappointment. They missed some big chances there. I would go so far as to call Joe's "solution" fucking lame. Considering the genre and the given circumstances of the flick, this was a total letdown and lack of imagination.
Posted by Fried Worms on October 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM · Report this
douchus 2
Bruce Willis is my favorite actor.
Posted by douchus on October 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Bruce Willis is a gift. He is my favorite too.
Posted by Varia on October 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 4
I don't understand your Collins--Willis equation at all, but agree that the movie was very good.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on October 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 5
fact 1: Phil Collins is/was an amazing drummer.
fact 2: Phil Collins sold out and made a fuck ton of money writing catchy pop songs in the 80s solo & with Genesis 2.0.
fact 3: Phil Collins is bald.

is your analogy based on fact 3?
Posted by Max Solomon on October 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 6
My analogy is based on the fact that I don't like either one of 'em.
Posted by Dominic Holden on October 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM · Report this
I've never understood the disdain for people who "sell out." Given the opportunity, what kind of moron wouldn't? "Gee, I can sell out and be rich and famous, or I can be poor and obscure but "authentic". Hmm... what's it gonna be? Geez, I love the idea of providing a good life for my kids, but some angsty teenagers and rock snobs I've never met will think I'm a sellout. Guess I'll stick with producing interesting but uncommercial music."
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on October 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
The female characters sucked. The movie hammered home the idea that women are only good for being mothers.

That said, there was a great diner scene.
Posted by EricaP on October 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this
Rotten666 9
Can someone tell me how the mafia has mastered time travel?

I have no intentions of seeing the movie.
Posted by Rotten666 on October 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 10
What @8 said.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Looper was one of the best movie's that I've seen in a while.
Posted by some random guy on October 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
hillpagan 12
Turn up the Smoooooth! I like Bruce Willis (Moonlighting!) but I totally agree that he is the Phil Collins of acting.
Posted by hillpagan on October 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 13
@7: when i was a teen and a big time Lamb-Lies-Down-on-Broadway Genesis fan, the transition from art-rock to pop was disheartening. but i understood the motivation: "THAT sold 3 trillion copies? I can do that in my sleep!" And then Phil Collins proceeded to do exactly that, but he's was such a likeable bloke that it was impossible to resent him for it.
Posted by Max Solomon on October 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 14
@9 It really isn't covered. All we know is Time Travel is possible in the future but is immediately outlawed. So only the mafia uses it now (that we are made aware of.)
Posted by Akbar Fazil on October 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Fried Worms 15
Add @8's comment to my criticisms. Spot on 8.
Posted by Fried Worms on October 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
@13: There was an episode of This American Life in which he chats with a young woman mourning a (sorta) recent breakup. He came across as friendly, vulnerable, and utterly charming.
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on October 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
A looper? .... A looper, you know a caddy, looper. Jock. So I tell them I'm a pro jock and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama himself.
Posted by hifiandrew on October 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
@16, that was a great episode. She found his "Against All Odds" song suited her breakup perfectly, and it turns out he's pretty much the exact unlucky-in-love guy he was back when he wrote it. Richer, but still pretty, er, gloomy.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Bruce Willis was amazing in Moonrise Kingdom. I generally have no interest in his movies, but I give him a lot of credit for that movie.
Posted by RDM on October 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
@8 Would you explain more please? I thought the whole movie was about men with issues about their mothers, so it made sense that the two women primarily featured would be mothers.
Posted by sisyphusgal on October 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 21
Sure, Bruce Willis has done some dippy movies, but in the right movie, he's great. I sort of have a crush on JGL, and I loved Brick. So I'm definitely going to see this movie.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on October 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM · Report this
SPOILER ALERT

sisyphusgal@20,
a) Making a movie about a man with mother-issues is already starting off on the wrong foot. God only knows what brought Joe's mother to give him up; we never find out because she's not a developed character -- she's only a convenient caricature of a "bad mother."

b) Bruce Willis' love interest was pathetic. All she did was wipe up the man-child's vomit, and wish she could be a mother. I don't think she spoke once.

c) the scene with Sarah failing to scare off the vagrant was also pathetic. And her relationship with her son made me think of Ripley cuddling the newborn alien in Alien Resurrection http://www.tor.com/images/stories/blogs/…

This movie doesn't just fail the Bechdel Test, it doesn't even let any of the three speaking female characters meet each other. Lame.
Posted by EricaP on October 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM · Report this
*SPOILERS*

My only question is how the loop would ever start. Why the hell would a kid whose mom was killed by a looper sent back in time work to send all loopers back in time?
Posted by Tawnos on October 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM · Report this
lauramae 24
I like Bruce Willis a lot better than I like Phil Collins.
Posted by lauramae on October 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM · Report this
The safe was cool though.
Posted by EricaP on October 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM · Report this