Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

If You Prefer to Watch the Debate Somewhere More Refined than a Nightclub...

Posted by on Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM

...don't forget the reading party is also tonight. After all, it's the first Wednesday of the month. When I asked if we could move this reading party because of the debate, the Sorrento gamely offered to make the debate available too: They'll be broadcasting it in the bar in the next room. If you prefer to watch the debate somewhere loud where you can jibber-jabber with Stranger news writers, by all means, go to Havana. But if you want to watch the debate in a place where you can immediately retire into the Fireside Room for contemplating the nature of the universe in an overstuffed chair, join me at the Sorrento.

John Scott Tynes 1
God, this sounds wonderful.
Posted by John Scott Tynes http://www.johntynes.com/ on October 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
care bear 2
The reading party sounds so wonderful right now. It's been such a long day and I really don't want all the stimulation of a bar. But that's where I promised I'd be. And I'm 3,000 miles away. Somebody drink a Manhattan for me, please.
Posted by care bear on October 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
What if I'm a caregiver, physically exhausted from my thankless minimum wage job, too tired to give much of a shit about the debate, though grateful that a Stranger Genius has built her non-profit Caregifted with us in mind. Should i go to Havana and hang out with opinionated brat "writers" who wouldn't know a real job if it bit them in the ass, and learn about my losing lot in life when we compare paychecks, or go to Sorrento and hopefully they don't mind if I shut my my tired eyes for a half hour or so on one of their couches?
Posted by dnt trust me on October 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
So is the debate at Sorrento a "quiet time" event, or is it just a bar that happens to be very near the reading event? I'm not looking for something intentionally low-key, but it IS the closest place to my work...
Posted by Ruke on October 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
@3 -- you should come to the sorrento and I'll buy you a drink. I'll be the tall guy with a shaved head tweeting in the bar.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on October 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
@4 the bar and the reading area are in adjacent rooms.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on October 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 7
Damn you hippies and ne'er-do-well Stranger writers: What a great idea. I'd decided to stay home and stay sober tonight but if I can talk the Future Mrs. Dr. A. into going, we just might be there. I could use a quiet evening in a nice place too.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on October 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 8
5- thanks for the offer, but no thanks, for everyone's benefit. In an environment with literature, politics, drinking AND tweeting, I'd be head over heels up to too much no good. What do you think? Should I stretch comment #3 into an essay? Mail it directly to you when done. With mild copyright infringement in mind, I wouldn't trust it with your fellow cohorts. They feed off of ideas, and have no squabbles in how they get them.
Posted by dnt trust me on October 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this