Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Note to Our Readers

Posted by on Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Dominic Holden didn't write this.

We invited Republican candidate for governor Rob McKenna and his staff to write guest posts on Slog today and they accepted.

It's no secret to readers of The Stranger that we're in the tank for Jay Inslee, the Democrat running for Washington State governor. Hell, writers on our staff have donated to Inslee and even filed a No ROB PAC.

But we have a history of inviting folks with whom we disagree to write guest posts on Slog. We've handed the keys to Slog over to the arch-conservative BIAW, those totally backwards charter-schools advocates, and the damn anti-pot-legalization activists.

But, let's be honest, we've probably given Rob McKenna more shit than we gave any of those folks. ("Fudge packers for Rob!" comes to mind.) So we're not just giving McKenna one guest post to make his case and balance the scales, but as many posts as Rob and his crew care to write today.

The Stranger isn't always balanced, but we do try to be fair. And in the interests of fairness and balance, Rob McKenna will be blogging in this space today. We were actually impressed when McKenna agreed to post on Slog—maybe he is a different kind of Republican after all?—and we encourage readers to engage with McKenna respectfully in the comments threads.

Enjoy.

Does this mean he'll start inviting/allowing Stranger reporters at his press events?
Posted by crasher on October 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM · Report this
BLUE 2
Engage respectfully? Why change now?
Posted by BLUE on October 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 3
Yah, seriously. You've extended a giant olive branch to him, here's hoping he reciprocates in kind.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on October 4, 2012 at 6:52 AM · Report this
This is why The Stranger, not the Seattle Times, is my trusted news source.

By contrast, it appears that some of the Times' staff have joined with McKenna staff "rogues" (if he cannot manage his AAGs, how can he run our state?) to defame and destroy in an attempt to win advantage in the state's courtrooms and in the courtroom of public opinion.

I can count on the Stranger, however, to refuse to go down on the guy while still giving him a chance to be heard.

Bravo!
Posted by Fizgig on October 4, 2012 at 7:06 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 5
when does incumbent governor tim eyman get to post?
Posted by Max Solomon on October 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
And that was a day of unprecedented workday productivity for MacCrocodile.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 4, 2012 at 7:36 AM · Report this
Paul Constant 7
I just want to go on the record right now as saying that this is a terrible idea. It's basically that dumb, oversimplified concept of objective journalism ("...but other people simply deny the existence of gravity outright, like Rory Calhoun, who we found digging in a dumpster behind a HoJo's in Newark...") revised to internet 2.0 standards.
Posted by Paul Constant http://https://twitter.com/paulconstant on October 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 8
I've been meaning to take a day off from Slog. Thanks for the opportunity.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 9
@7) Sure, except we don't normally present McKenna in neutral terms like we're pretending to be objective, or that all his points are valid. We're clear that we disagree, that he's wrong, and why he's wrong. This just gives him a day--one day, Paul--for a defense.
Posted by Dominic Holden on October 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM · Report this
Agreed, Catalina. I'm done today. It's bad enough to read the crowing in the Salt Lake Tribune over Rmoney..... (I'm avoiding the Deseret News site where they've probably anointed Mittens with Joseph Smith's sacred semen).
Posted by StuckInUtah on October 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM · Report this
Comment #4 is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever heard.
Posted by snapfin on October 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM · Report this
Paul Constant 12
@9: Respectfully disagree. Without a fact-check box underneath the post—but still in the post—calling him out on his bullshit, we're just providing free McKenna advertisements. I prefer to make money from McKenna's ads.
Posted by Paul Constant http://https://twitter.com/paulconstant on October 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 13
I was just thinking that the GOP and it's corporate masters just don't have enough platforms to spew their lies and other forms of shit around in.

I'm glad the Stranger decided to roll over and bend over for the huge chainsaw up it's collective asses.

Seriously, MORE McKenna? Are you fucking kidding me?

BTW..this is why modern Democrats are so fucking weak when comapred to the Democrats of 60 or 70 years ago.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 14
And NO! I refuse to be respectful to a party that refuses to condem it's own racism, homophobia and every other horrid vice they engage in.

They are not worthy of respect until they admit their screw ups and appologize.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM · Report this
Paul is right. This is just lazy journalism. If you say you try to be fair, why not dig into some of Rob's and Jay's claims and report on whether they are true or make a lick of sense. I read the Slog everyday, coming here more times each day than I should, and I've never been more turned off. It is not that I hate Rob McKenna. I'm one of those people who like him. And I believe in objective journalism, too. This is just shallow thinking of what fair means. If you were in the tank for Jay, you would have served him better by providing some critical coverage of him, tell him a little truth, rather than just mocking McKenna. I feel weird that I feel so disappointed in you. I guess I care more about Slog than I realized.
Posted by Never commented before on October 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 16
Wait, this isn't a joke? Will McKenna provide some "proof of life" to show that he's actually blogging?
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on October 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM · Report this
@9
"Sure, except we don't normally present McKenna in neutral terms like we're pretending to be objective, or that all his points are valid."

Fuck neutral.
You have an agenda.
State your agenda and have him state his.
Then he can comment on how and why he thinks yours in wrong.

Stay objective about facts.
But do not provide free advertising for him.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on October 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM · Report this
I for one am totally looking forward to the McKenna Love Letter of the Day, even if he only runs a repeat.
Posted by Hey Republican! My tertiary boyfriend has been... on October 4, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
StellaLuna 19
Are any of the regular writers going to post today?
Posted by StellaLuna on October 4, 2012 at 8:44 AM · Report this
The Stranger isn't always balanced, but we do try to be fair.

Can't believe you wrote that with a straight face.
Posted by bigyaz on October 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM · Report this
This is seriously fucking stupid.
Posted by Cappelletti on October 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Zebes 22
Okay, if you guys don't intersperse this propaganda parade throughout the day with some stupid polls, or dinosaur news, or... I don't know, something about dildos and bath salts, I'm gonna be a sad panda.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on October 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 23
Yes, yes, it's only one day....to SPAM THE FUCK out of the blog. Seriously, Rob?! You posted at 6:10, 6:45, 7:06, and 7:13 so far. I think 4 posts an hour is a little heavy, not to mention totally annoying. See you tomorrow, Slog.
Posted by More, I Say! on October 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 24
Ad Block engaged for *.thestranger.com today. Sorry.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on October 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Fnarf 25
Fuck this shit.

@24, adblocked? How about "not visiting"?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Well this will save me some time today. See you tomorrow.
Posted by pox on October 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM · Report this
There seem to be more worthy "adversaries" for such a generous gesture. McKenna's such a baby about any sort of disagreement or conflict, as has been crazy clear with how he's treated the Stranger. He can't "deal with people." It's what makes him unlikable. Besides being a patsy for every special interest group with money to give, he only "reaches across the aisle" when there is no concession to be had on his part. (?!) It's a 100% win for him - he gets to put his words in public print and not have to deal with any feedback. It's like the greatest focus group for arguments - to prepare for the next debate - without all of that "in person" or "off the cuff" response, messy stuff. Man, you are bigger people than me.
Posted by lawgeek on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM · Report this
Thanks for the heads up. See you tomorrow Slog.
Posted by Vitriolforbreakfast on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM · Report this
Great. KEXP, KUOW and KPLU are all having their pledge drives right now, and *now* I can't even read the Stranger today....
Posted by Sterno on October 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Awesome timing. Public radio is in pledge drive time and now this. Ugh. Long day ahead. Plus no baseball.
Posted by CbytheSea on October 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
The first post I saw was about the jam, and I thought it was a joke. Then I saw the Morning News was by a member of his staff, and I thought it was a more elaborate joke. I scrolled quickly past several more posts by McKenna until I got to the explanation. And I see that it's a really elaborate joke after all, only I don't know upon whom. I hope all the Stranger staffers enjoy their day off from the blog and get ahead on other projects or just get a day in the fall sun.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on October 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
DOUG. 32
Cancel my subscription.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
I want to see his posts on Line Out.
Posted by shanes on October 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
I would love to know how today's readership stats compare with an average day's. Any chance you'll share that info?
Posted by goreedgo on October 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Soupytwist 35
YUCK.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on October 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this
stirwise 36
@3: I'm willing to wager that he'll take said olive branch and proceed to beat the Stranger staff about the face with it.
Posted by stirwise on October 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM · Report this
This is one of the strangest things The Stranger has ever done. Will you be doing the same thing for the Inslee camp?
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on October 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
blip 38
So this is a real thing that is happening?
Posted by blip on October 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 39
@4 for the Insightful Win.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM · Report this
When I started reading SLOG this morning, I thought "My friend has been putting liquid LSD on my doorknobs again, because I'm tripping hard."

Then I thought "I get it, It's some sort of parody, but it's not funny." Then I kept reading

I still don't know what's going on. Maybe I'm still dreaming? Maybe what I thought was my waking life was the dreams and it's really the dreams that are real? This is really strong acid. I touched so many door handles. Must be 1,000 hits at least. Where am I? Who am I? What is real? Rob McKenna why would you let him write here? Is it real? I don't even know what that word means. It's just a sound. Real. Re-al. REEL. How can sounds have meaning? What does meaning mean? How can I even wonder "what is the meaning of "meaning"" If I don't know what "meaning" means?? Why is this happening? I think my toes are blue. I need to lay down. But now the ceiling is where the walls are. How come the wall is above my head if the ceiling is up? What does "up" mean? Why did Rob McKenna show up here? Ohh man, that UP movie is clearly a trip through the bardo after the old man died the first night, right? So much acid. Rob McKenna? Clearly he's a lizard person, right? Can't you see it man? Did he threaten to eat your kids? Tell us on the doll where the hyperdimensianal lizard man threatened your kids to take over this blog. Why is he here? Is this real? Are they playing a joke on us? I can't even tell you my name right now. I'm confused.

What's going on? I'm going to put on some grateful dead and try not to lose it. Please send orange juice.
Posted by SpGNo on October 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM · Report this
Listen, this is okay - but please, some advance notice next time? Maybe a limited number of posts/topics? (Seriously?)
Posted by bitethemailman on October 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Rotten666 42
Lame.
Posted by Rotten666 on October 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 43
This is pretty boring.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Free advertising for a homophobic bigot. Great job slog.
Posted by letired on October 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 45
This is one long stupid 'April Fools' joke by The Stranger that has absolutely nothing to do with Rob McKenna. Its patently obvious from the get go.

Amazing.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on October 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Posted by Vermillion http://vermillionseattle.com on October 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
This is incredibly stupid and juvenile. Also not at all funny.
Posted by crone on October 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Note to the Stranger: College improv really sucks.
Posted by Mister G on October 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM · Report this
Got me.
Posted by pox on October 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM · Report this
I'm still waiting for an explanation. Yeah, I don't get what the point of any of this is.
Posted by PinkieB on October 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this