Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Currently Hung: The Earth's Fertile Warmth by Dan Larsen

Posted by on Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Rob McKenna didn't write this.

Dan Larsen, The Earths Fertile Warmth, 62 by 34 inches, modified synthetic oil resin, $6250.
  • Gunnar Nordstrom Gallery
  • Dan Larsen, The Earth's Fertile Warmth, 62 by 34 inches, modified synthetic oil resin, $6250.

First of all, I would like to say that I am not entirely about politics. It's true! I have other interests and it may surprise readers of The Stranger to know that I am passionate about the visual arts. For instance, when it comes to public art, I believe every community deserves its own Waiting for the Interurban, the wonderful, whimsical sculpture that makes Fremont the friendly place that it is. It shouldn't be paid for with public funds, of course, but a community can and should be encouraged to raise money privately to fund public arts.

But I'm not here to talk about public arts. I'm going to take a risk instead, and I'm going to tell you about a dynamic painter who hasn't had the helping hand of government. He sells his paintings at a locally owned small business: Gunnar Nordstrom Gallery, near the world-class Bellevue Square mall. What I'm telling you is that Dan Larsen's art helps to bring tourism to our great state. His paintings make people eat at restaurants and drink at coffee houses. He is the type of economic engine who helps keep our taxes low.

This painter's name is Dan Larsen. His current exhibit is called Beyond Organic. In Washington, we are not organic, we are beyond it.

Now, this type of painting might be outside your comfort zone. I'm not saying that all art should be so bold! As the gallery stated in its press release for the exhibit, "One art enthusiast was heard to exclaim, 'These paintings make Jackson Pollock look tired.' However, when seeing one of his paintings for the first time, most viewers are compelled to simply blurt out 'Wow!'"

What a Wow Factor! But on a serious note. Dan Larsen is taking the kinds of smart risks that Washingtonians can appreciate. Take the painting pictured above, The Earth's Fertile Warmth. Its paint is a reference to the earth's fertile warmth. The colors are brown and white. The artist is making the point that we all live on earth in Washington. Where there is fertile ground for every small business owner. This painting is $6,250. Its sale will be a warm, fertile mating ground for our tax base.

reverend dr dj riz 1
PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY MAKE THIS SHIT STOP ?
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on October 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Granny Smith 2
Are we still doing this? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted by Granny Smith on October 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 3
Buncha giggling Junior High School kids there at the office.

Detentions for all of you!
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on October 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Original Andrew 4
Looks suspiciously like the lady parts that McKenna and Company are planning on shoving into a panopticon-esque prison.
Posted by Original Andrew on October 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Um, someone should tell him we renamed N 34th where the Interurban is. After a former mayor.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
OK. All doubt has been removed. Slog's totally getting sued for this.
Posted by stating the obvious on October 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
care bear 7
Remember the Gawker vs. Slog war? That was a fun day.
Posted by care bear on October 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Even though I live 3000 miles away and have only spent a couple days of my life in Seattle, Slog has come to mean a lot to me. Much of it is universal, and it doesn't matter where you live. I enjoy reading the contributions of all the regulars. Granted, a lot of the stuff that's very specifically "inside baseball" to Seattleites doesn't mean very much to me, and I'll admit to skipping over it sometimes, but it's generally a small price to pay.

Today, though, I have to laugh at my own bewilderment. I've read about McKenna, seen his picture, gathered his positions, learned to dislike him from afar, and am rooting for his opponent. But, none of that really prepares me to follow this immersive level of parody. It's just shooting over my head, with a loud buzzing noise.

I guess it's a little like watching kittens, though. You're cute when you're having fun, even if I have no idea what you're doing.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on October 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
amyl 9
Is this just because you guys are bummed about Obama's performance in the debate last night? I'm bummed too, but I'm going to cheer myself up by treating myself to a cookie after lunch, not ruining SLOG land for everyone for a whole day. Go have a fucking cookie, already.
Posted by amyl on October 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 10
@7 remember Freaky Fridays on Slog from 6 or 7 years ago? It was pretty fun. Though I think today has been better. I feel totally played.
Posted by dnt trust me on October 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Okay, this is the one that finally did it. I am finally sure it's parody. "This painting is $6,250. Its sale will be a warm, fertile mating ground for our tax base." That's what it took for me to get it. Thank you for raising it above believable republican absurdity into plainly recognizable absurdity.

...Is this legal?
Posted by Marph on October 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
I just came across this article and I want to thank you for posting it. Yes this painting has sold and although I didn't paint it with tax dollars in mind, the sale has put $600 into the coffers. Any locally produced commerce keeps dollars here and does not contribute to the inbalance of trade. This is all kinda besides the point. It is art to enjoy, love, dislike,discuss or simply decorate your walls.l Again, thank you "Stranger" for commenting on my art. The Artist, Dan Larsen.
Posted by Artist, Dan Larsen on December 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM · Report this