Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Friday, October 5, 2012

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "Same Love"

Posted by on Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Required viewing...

Vote to approve R-74 on November 6.

...Can I vote to approve without having to listen to a Macklemore song? I think I'll do that.
Posted by j.lee on October 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
@1 heck yes. Thumbs up for a nice gesture, though the song as such may be what my niece calls "triple-meh".
Posted by gloomy gus on October 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 3
Sniffle
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on October 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM · Report this
Crap. Now I'm crying at work.

Bad Dan. (Or good Dan. It's a good cry.)
Posted by weatherwax on October 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM · Report this
ScienceNerd 5
You made me cry on the bus.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on October 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM · Report this
Granny Smith 6
That was really beautiful. sniffle.
Posted by Granny Smith on October 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
I saw this two nights ago and was had tears down my face during and after the wedding scene. Beautifully done.
Posted by apres_moi on October 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
I would recommend voting to approve R-74 as soon as you get your ballot. I don't want to have to wait days for a final count if it can be called early.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM · Report this
Yep, made me cry at work too. Thanks Dan.
Posted by hydrophilic on October 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Great video, okay song. Macklemore and Lewis just sacrificed their street credit for principles. They are hip hop heroes in my book. Let's hope this gains them a broader, more diverse fan base that will support their work ($). Because the traditional rap audience will see this as not authentic.
Posted by randomitis on October 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM · Report this
Who is cutting onions in here?
Posted by SLCamper on October 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Roosevelt 12
Hey! I sold that boy scout shirt to Macklemore! http://www.ebay.com/itm/190702726988?ssP…
Posted by Roosevelt http://www.youtube.com/user/matthewcobrien?feature=mhum on October 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
If you can spare 3 hours from 5:30-8:30, Washington United for Marriage really needs people to make phone calls to voters on the edge. It's incredibly interesting to talk to actual "undecideds." And you'll be surprised to find how easy it is to talk them into approving R-74.
Posted by Nancy Hartunian on October 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Eric Arrr 14
@4, @9,

Yep.
Posted by Eric Arrr on October 5, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Ordinarily I don't like sentimental songs, particularly if they have a blatant social message they're trying to put across. To me they just feel too much like propaganda and not enough like art. Every now and then, though, one of these songs clicks - the sentiment is sincere enough, the message is important enough, and the style is elegant enough that I can't help but be affected. Suddenly, all I can think is: "Damn, right on."

So... yeah.

Damn, right on.
Posted by Limbo on October 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
kim in portland 16
That was beautiful. I loved the end.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on October 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
I always cry at weddings. Just surrender to the emotional shmaltz; it goes with the territory.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on October 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this

And you'll be surprised to find how easy it is to get the person trying to talk you into approving R-74 off your phone.....
Posted by Yeah. Sure Honey. Whatever....... on October 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Here's hoping you get to join us sane states that already allow gay marriage (such as my home state, Massachusetts). I'll be thinking of you guys election day!
Posted by ThetaSigma on October 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
The kiss at the wedding put me over the top.

Posted by Hanoumatoi on October 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM · Report this
I'm crying. this was fucking beautiful.
Posted by auntielarrie on October 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM · Report this