Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Monday, October 8, 2012

The Defacing of the Rothko at the Tate

Posted by on Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

The big story in art over the weekend is that one of Rothko's originally-destined-for-the-Four-Seasons red-and-brownish paintings was defaced by a dummy with a manifesto (if I had a nickel for every time I had occasion to type "dummy with a manifesto").

Hyperallergic has the most complete report, with the vandal's response and a suspicion that the BBC has the wrong Black on Maroon—1958's or 1959's?!!!

Some great tweets have come out of the episode, also aggregated on Hyperallergic.

Rothko_tweet.jpg

lark 1
Jen,
Boy, did that news disturb me when I read about it this morning. That was most contemptible behavior. I've been to the Tate. One of my favorite galleries featuring one of my favorite painters, William Hogarth. A lot of his work is there.
Posted by lark on October 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Simone 2
Still not a fan of the Black on Maroon paintings.
Posted by Simone on October 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 3
Very sad news, but dear gawd that Twitter pic made me laugh!
Posted by Dr_Awesome on October 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
Unregistered User 4
At least it'll be easy to fix
Posted by Unregistered User on October 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this
tony shafrazi will be proud
Posted by neoanderthal on October 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 6
Now the painting actually has some impact. Good work, vandalizing mental case/art student.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 7
It's also too bad the guy didn't paint:

"Plan ahea
d"

Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM · Report this
dangerousgift 8
That manifesto is hella dumb, but I'm still 100% pro-art vandalism. REPRESENTATIONAL SYMBOLISM OR NO SYMBOLISM AT ALL!
Posted by dangerousgift on October 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 9
Still not a patch on the museum projectile vomiting guy.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on October 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this