Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What Good Is Voting Alone in Your Room?

Posted by on Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM

When Terry—my husband in Canada for the last eight years, hopefully my husband in Washington State soon—suggested that the Stranger host a voting party, I thought it was a good idea. Terry has lots of good ideas. But, like a lot of Terry's ideas, I didn't think this one could be legal. Inviting people to bring their ballots to a bar? Encouraging candidates to come up and mingle with voters while voters are voting? Having people on hand to collect ballots and deliver them to the county? None of that could be legal, right?

It could and it is and it's on:

VotingParty_S.jpg

Jay Inslee will be there to ask you for your vote! Ed Murray will be asking you to vote to approve R-74! The mayor will be there and Jim McDermott and Frank Chopp and Kshama Sawant!

Don't vote at home alone! Come to the Voting Party! It's LEGAL!

It is so legal that the US Embassy here in Santiago is doing the same thing - minus the candidates. They are having a "Bring in the Vote" Happy Hour: bring your ballot and they will mail it back to the US- diplomatic style for you.
Posted by SantiagoFan on October 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 2
As Tom Waits once said (almost) "There's nothing wrong with a lady voting alone in her room."
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
"Inviting people to being their ballots" I know I'm being picky, but shouldn't that BEING be BRING?

In any case, would it be weird if I came by myself? It always feels strange to go into a bar by myself, not knowing anyone (in person).
Posted by SeattleKim on October 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM · Report this
I LOVE this idea! You lose all the energy and anticipation and, yes, thrills of casting a vote when you do it from home. This is a GREAT idea!
Posted by mitten on October 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM · Report this
ash557 5
Too bad Texas doesn't have mail-in only ballots. I need any excuse I can get to have a party.
Posted by ash557 on October 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
Can there be makeout/voting booths?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 9, 2012 at 11:26 AM · Report this
@SeattleKim: BE the ballot you wish to vote into the world.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on October 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
I'm skipping it: a secret ballot is one of the last rights we have in this dying republic that hasn't been totally fucked over.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
I'm sure churches have equivalent events.
Posted by Tor on October 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 10
Will we have to pay a cover charge to get in?
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 11
@10, at Q...more than likely but perhaps not.

It's a great club so you should check it out Sargon. But it's gotta get past the 12 to 18 month trial period of "Will this gay bar survive?" before it becomes one of the establishment clubs.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
why isn't it co-starring terry?
Posted by martarose on October 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
Holy crumbs, EVERYTHING'S legal on the west coast. Egad!
Posted by DRF on October 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 14
@13- AND....we don't have any Rethug "voter registration purge" laws happening out here, either. I doubt things like that could fly here. I love the western US and its independent-minded states, excepting AZ and UT of course.
Posted by OutInBumF on October 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Quadrennial? If you believe in the vote, have the party *every* year--heck, every time there is an election pending. The system is more than the President. It is Congress and the SC and governors and mayors and propositions and initiatives and...all will affect you.
Posted by Mozie on October 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM · Report this
Yes citizen, bring your ballot, we'll make sure it's filled out properly.

Fucking fascists.
Posted by delbert on October 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM · Report this
Occupy Seattle 17
Remember kiddies, Vote blue donkey Democrat all across the ballot. THEN we'll get trashed and stoned. Like that drunken but strangely cute Jennifer Granholm yelled: D for Drive, R is for Reverse!!!
Posted by Occupy Seattle on October 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM · Report this
I'm not a US citizen... am I still allowed to come to the party?
Posted by Alien on October 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
I wish I lived in Seattle!
Posted by peace 2 you on October 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM · Report this
To people asking... It's free. Guessing that alcohol isn't, but no cover. I got here by clicking the Stranger Presents email link...and wouldn't have clicked were it NOT free... Good chance to have folks talk about the marijuana initiative since it's pretty confusing and a lot of misinformation is going around-even Steve Scher was pretty awful tonight at the Kane Hall debate.
Posted by melazymenologin on October 11, 2012 at 3:47 AM · Report this