Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Friday, October 12, 2012

Anti-Gay Marriage Rally, Proud Party of Three!

Posted by on Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

We sent our intrepid news intern, Chelsea Kellogg, down to Westlake Center to check out this anti-gay marriage bullshizzzz. Kellogg says that the rally is being hosted by Preserve Marriage Washington, the campaign to reject R-74, and thus deny thousands of Washington couples the right to marry their loved ones.

One of today's organizers described it as a pastor's rally, explaining that "we expect 30 pastors to arrive and proclaim that God's definition of marriage is one man, one woman." But those 30 pastors failed to materialize by 12:15 p.m., when the rally was scheduled to begin.

This is what success looks like.
  • Chelsea Kellogg
  • This is what success looks like.

Supporters also failed to materialize at Westlake Plaza (perhaps all the haters were waylaid by the sinfully cheap, sinfully gay-friendly Nordstrom Rack?). When asked, one Bothell man in the thin crowd said that he was "just here to support the definition of marriage; It doesn't mean I'm anti-homosexual."

And with that, the public praying began! And then the God Blessing of America, in song!

Minutes later, Chip White, the spokesperson for Preserve Marriage WA, approached Kellogg. "This is a press conference not a rally," he said, perhaps by way of apology for the tepid turnout. "We were only expecting five pastors and I think we've exceeded our expectations." She then asked him if he could send The Stranger the press release. White said that was impossible because he was "here, obviously."

UPDATE: Anti-gay marriage speaker Pastor Victor from Federal Way had this to say about gay marriage: "I am a black male... R-74 presents a new discrimination, one where I won't be considered a male anymore." He continued with this bizarre scare tactic: "[R-74] will make all public restrooms gender neutral... A gender neutral society is not good for anybody."

Ironically enough, Pastor Victor's closing sentence was, "No discrimination laws based on prejudice should be enacted."

Meanwhile, people of faith who support gay marriage have arrived and are protesting the anemic rally/press conference/public embarrassment. Chelsea says some kindhearted person has bought everyone Starbucks coffee for their efforts:

People of faith who support gay marriage, huzzah!
  • Chelsea Kellogg
  • People of faith who support gay marriage, huzzah!

If this is what success looks like for Preserve Marriage Washington, November should be a cakewalk. God Bless America!

very bad homo 1
This would be the perfect time for a thunderstorm.
Posted by very bad homo on October 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Bright side: probably smells better than the OWS occupation.
Posted by Chali2Na on October 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 3
@2, lower numbers of scum will do that.

There is some sort of sing off happening though now. It's just ...... weird.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
No matter how dismal their turnout was today, you might wanna shy away from even remotely suggesting that November will be a cakewalk until after it's over. Statements like that tend to breed a premature sense of having already won, and it ain't over just quite yet.
Posted by maxxi on October 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
jnmend 5
You wanted a press release at a rally!? You crazy reporters. Next you'll be demanding to trade sandwiches for money at a Subway.
Posted by jnmend on October 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
maxxi@4:

(Had to bring this good comment out of anonymous poster oblivion for those with filters.)

Hell, yeah! Just because they're too cowardly to stand by their opinion in public doesn't mean they're not going to vote. I'm hopeful we're going to win; but there's a lot of stuff we don't hear in the Slog Bubble.

Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on October 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Revenge! 7
Seems like a bad spot to hold your anti-love protest. Westlake Center is tourist land. I can think of a few better places to attract the attention of registered voters in the Seattle area...
Posted by Revenge! on October 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 8
@4,6, I'm not counting my chickens, but I think this rally rather starkly proves that bigots don't feel as comfortable being out and proud as they once did.

Of course it doesn't mean people won't express their bigoted views on their ballots, or that this won't be a close vote (we've all seen the polls), but I think it's a healthy indicator that times are indeed changing. And that's heartening and should be celebrated.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on October 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
pfffter 9
I was so happy to be able to run down to westlake, sit facing the stage and hold my "Approve R-74" sign up until they started breaking everything down (except jesus guitar man was still going strong).
Posted by pfffter on October 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Revenge! 10
@6, who wrote:

"Just because they're too cowardly to stand by their opinion in public doesn't mean they're not going to vote."

So true. And thank you for posting the filtered comment too.
Posted by Revenge! on October 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
@9, hooray!
Posted by gloomy gus on October 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 12
@8 they don't feel out and proud in Seattle. I'd bet credits to navy beans Spokane is a different story.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
pfffter 13
@11 I even had to endure being witnessed to by one of the evangelicals and I didn't beat the living shit out of him.
Posted by pfffter on October 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
34x42 14
they picked the wrong city
Posted by 34x42 on October 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
@6: Indeed. If the vote were just in Seattle, or even King County, it would be more of a cakewalk. But we have to account for the rest of the state, which includes places like Lewis County where I grew up, and all of Eastern Washington...which are not exactly a bastion of gay rights.
Posted by cincodenada on October 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
I called the pastor who organized it a hippie, and told him to get a job. I'm not a pro R74 person, but I hate bigots more than people who want to let the state define their love.
Posted by GLITUR_Chad on October 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
BeefyStew 17
Rally? I've had more people in my shower than at this so-called "rally". Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pick out my wedding frock...
Posted by BeefyStew on October 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM · Report this
kerfuffle 18
Since when do people holding a press conference put up a big banner?
Your hate rally failed, Bigots!
Posted by kerfuffle on October 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
I disagree with calling the passage of Ref 74 a "cakewalk." No cause worth fighting for should be assumed passed until the votes are counted. That presumptive declaration enables lazy voter tendencies to think there's no need to vote.

Always vote.
Posted by _John_b on October 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Volo 20
I walked through this protest on my way to lunch, and nearly ran into a the two guys with a banner before I noticed anything was going on. I thought someone was just playing crappy music to irritate the street kids.

Pretty sad hate rally.
Posted by Volo on October 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Thanks to Pastor Victor for showing people that you no longer need to be white to be a member of the modern-KKK.
Posted by Willa on October 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM · Report this
People who fear change amuse me, only because it is inevitable! Change happens all the time sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. So when someone try to defey that, you have to wonder about their intellect. It's like trying to reject the sun rising!
Posted by JDS141 on October 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 23
"A gender neutral society" what the heck is he talking about? That has nothing to do with marriage.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 24
@12 I agree. I'd like to see The Stranger cover the rallies in Yakima, Vancouver, Spokane or any other place they show up. It would be more interesting, and show that The Stranger is a little more interested in covering this besides sending an intern downtown.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on October 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM · Report this
Agree. I've been to Spokane for work gigs twice, both times for about 6 weeks. Saw lots of NoBama bumperstickers. Hie thee hence over the mountains, and take the temperature there.
Posted by SeasonsintheSun on October 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Be careful, they are starting to spend money the way they did in Maine where the polls were similar to ours. Don't take anything for granted. Make sure everyone you know VOTES
Posted by justcallmary on October 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this
metardtard 27
This will NOT be a cakewalk. We need everyone, EVERYONE, talking to their friends and family to get this past the finish line. This is going to be close. Say it until you can't say it anymore: APPROVE REF 74!
Posted by metardtard on October 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM · Report this
watchout5 28
@17 Winner
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on October 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM · Report this
I oppose R-74 and I was at this rally, which in reality was intended to serve as a forum for pastors from around the area to voice their opposition to R-74. I am grateful the issue will be decided by a vote of the people as oposed to the legal mandate forced on us last winter by state legislators. I'm not sure which rally your intern is reporting on, but the one I attended had between 20-30 pastors on stage, and involved 5 who were scheduled to (and did) speak. The photo you are using to support your propaganda piece was obviously taken before the rally was scheduled to begin. And the idea behind "reporting" is to present facts, so next time I encourage you to at least get the names of those who participated (and what they said) right. We are not bigots. We are religious people who oppose the idea of a minority or people redefining the definition of marraige for the majority of us who are not gay or lesbian. Just because we disagree with someone does not mean we hate them.
Posted by Bluegold on October 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this

Huh? Do not compute.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on October 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
metardtard 31
Bluegold - Your argument could have been used for segregation. Congrats. You might want to look up the word "bigotry" before you say, you know, that you're not a bigot.
Posted by metardtard on October 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM · Report this
veo_ 32
Bluegold: "We are not bigots. We are religious people who oppose the idea of a minority or people redefining the definition of marraige for the majority of us who are not gay or lesbian. "

Translation: "We are not bigots. We don't want to share our legal/social privileges with people different than us."

Uh huh.
Posted by veo_ on October 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM · Report this
Veo: You already have the same legal privileges. Look it up.
Metardtard: A bigot is one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance. I disagree with you. That does not mean I hate you.
Posted by Bluegold on October 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM · Report this
@pffer "I even had to endure being witnessed to by one of the evangelicals and I didn't beat the living shit out of him."

Look bruh'...let me just say this..you should be careful making threats on here or anywhere else.

Posted by relax on October 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM · Report this