Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Good Poll News for Obama

Posted by on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Politico:

According to the polls – which were conducted from Monday through Wednesday, encompassing Tuesday’s presidential debate in New York and after – Obama receives the support of 51 percent of likely voters in Iowa to Romney’s 43 percent.

That eight-point margin is unchanged from the NBC/WSJ/Marist poll released last month (before the debate season began), when the president led his Republican opponent 50 percent to 42 percent.

And in Wisconsin, Obama is ahead by six points among likely voters, 51 percent to 45 percent, which also is virtually unchanged from last month.

CNN suspects Obama got a bump from the second debate, which he clearly won, and reports about early voting in Iowa:

The NBC/WSJ/Marist results offer a contrast to previous polls released after the first debate, which showed Romney with a bounce in several swing states.

A Marquette University Law School poll, for example, released Wednesday showed Obama ahead by only one point in Wisconsin, though the survey was conducted entirely before the second presidential debate. And in Iowa, an American Research Group survey released on Monday showed Obama and Romney tied at 48% in the Hawkeye State.

The NBC/WSJ/Marist poll shows that Obama seems to have a strong lead over Romney among early voters in Iowa. About a third of likely voters said they have already cast their votes in the state, and 67% of them said they supported Obama, while 32% said they backed Romney.

When will this election end? I want to return to my Marxist theorizing.

18 days, and trust me, you ain't the only one counting down
Posted by Nitidiuscula on October 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM · Report this
DOUG. 2
I wish I didn't care so much...
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM · Report this
Even your Marxist theorizing will be a relief after a solid year of this crap.
Posted by sarah70 on October 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM · Report this
@2 You have to care, man. It's too important.

It's amazing how much debates matter. Same thing with winning the news cycles. The media amplifies everything.

One more debate to go! Bring it, Obama!
Posted by floater on October 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Greenwood 5
Please don't.
Posted by Greenwood on October 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM · Report this
Hi there, Have time to relax and take some makeover into your neighbors salon. Its Pinup Salon!
Yaeah. Obama rocks!
Posted by RydersRoots on October 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 7
Ugh, not soon enough. I can't believe how unhinged people are becoming - it's disturbing. Yesterday I was berated on FB by someone who must have been a friend of a friend? I didn't know them. All of this because I posted a one line comment that said something to the effect of "Thanks for the laugh!" about a friend's Romney Ladybinder meme. Apparently this awful comment meant I'm a streetwalker and a lazy, unemployable communist? But somehow I also had too many jobs and should get back in the kitchen? I don't know, it's all so exhausting at this point, all I could do was chuckle and go to bed.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on October 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM · Report this
I'd like to return to my rent seeking behavior.
Posted by kinaidos on October 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 10
I'm getting so sick of election coverage, and biting my nails over the close race.

I, for one, will welcome the end of the election and the return of your marxist screeds. :-)
Posted by Reverse Polarity on October 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM · Report this
reporting on polls is the laziest kind of reporting
Posted by z(oo)mm on October 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM · Report this
@11: Nate Silver says hello.
Posted by gnossos on October 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM · Report this
stirwise 13
@12: If you think reporting on polls is all Nate Silver does, you're either not paying attention or a total fucking moron.
Posted by stirwise on October 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM · Report this
All you youngsters will have to face Tagg or Bagg or whoeverthehellagg running 10 years from now.
Posted by sarah70 on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 15
For what it's worth, I was in Iowa over the weekend (in the dumbass western part) and I was amazed by how many Obama signs there were in people's yards.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM · Report this
Kapow 16
You can oppose same sex marriage and not be anti-gay. It's good to know, but too late bitchez I voted yesterday and that shit is in the mail, and i cannot change it now.
Posted by Kapow on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM · Report this
Kapow 17
I travel for a living and after 10 days in NE Florida (the non-democratic part) and I only saw 2 Obama stickers and no Romnitron stickers. Looks like no one is excited to vote for a MorMan.
Posted by Kapow on October 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM · Report this
Charles, the philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it. Re-electing Obama is the most Marxist thing you can do.
Posted by minderbender on October 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM · Report this
Catalina, you have revived hope in my old heart with your Iowa trip. Please visit all the battleground states now and report back.
Posted by sarah70 on October 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM · Report this
@19, Hey troll, Marquette had Walker up by 7 points one week before the vote (won by 9).
Posted by anon1256 on October 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM · Report this
Simone 22
For me this election will end when I receive my absentee ballot. Still no sign of it in my mailbox.
Posted by Simone on October 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM · Report this
@23, "I'm not a troll"

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt since beside malevolence, only stupidity could explain your constant regurgitating of GOP talking points.
Posted by anon1256 on October 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 26
Poor Charles. If only we were more like Cuba. No election muss. No election fuss.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM · Report this
Maybe there is a true, scientific, Marxism out there, but I'm afraid most Marxists I've met have seemed very religious to me and unwilling to test hypotheses against objective data...and in a real world, what does it matter that there might be a decent ideal out there somewhere when the practice is nearly always as bad as 'religious' implies?
Posted by Gerald Fnord on October 19, 2012 at 5:04 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 28
Mister G is the worst new troll.
Posted by Asparagus! on October 19, 2012 at 6:06 AM · Report this
When Romney/Ryan rolled out their plan for medicare, it hurt them in the polls and I'm really hoping Romney's statement in the debate about how he's cutting/capping important tax credits (such as the morgage tax credit) will hurt them more.
His plan will help the economy? Really?
All those people with huge morgages think so?
Posted by swing state voter on October 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM · Report this

10/8-14/2012 47 49
10/9-15/2012 46 50
10/10-16/2012 45 51
10/11-17/2012 45 52
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on October 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 31
Explain to me again why we have a leader in a distant seat of power who is chosen by voters too stupid to move out of the fly over states.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on October 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this