Slog

and Drinks

Friday, October 19, 2012

Missouri Preacher Gives a Speech About a Gay Rights Ordinance

Posted by on Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Watch.

kim in portland 1
That is a different approach.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on October 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
Wow. I almost didn't watch the end of it, but I'm sure glad I did. That was powerful. Thanks for posting that Dan.
Posted by SeattleKim on October 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
Oh hell yeah.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
If I could shake that good gentleman's hand, I would.

Thank you for sharing, Dan.
Posted by Kit-san on October 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 5
LOL! Oh them Black folk wanting special rights. Uppity ain't they. Well done that was excellent. Thank you Mr Savage for bring this to our attention.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
bringing...
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 7
I like the way the audience is nodding off and looking around the room for anything interesting to keep them awake. "The Lord... Jesus.. scripture... blah... blah... zzzzz... Wha!? Wha'd he say at the end?"
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on October 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 8
blah blah god's order blah special rights blah blah... WTF? WHAT THE FUCK???

YEAH!!! Out of the ballpark, it's a home run!
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on October 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 9
Nicely played!
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on October 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Damn my ADD... He rises to speak in favor of the civil rights ordinance and then immediately starts speaking against it. Couldn't figure out what was going on until he told us.

This was definitely effective for those who stuck with it, but how many tuned out? OTOH, did Bible-thumpers miss the first part, stick with the middle and "get" it at the end?
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on October 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 11
Nice one. There was something about that man's face that made me think he was going to be a progressive on the argument... Then he started speaking and I thought damn, I'm a bad judge of a man's face. Glad I was right (and then wrong). This is really powerful.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on October 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
That was from two months ago. What was the result?
Posted by rmisaac on October 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
Holy shit.
Posted by agony on October 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Posted by rmisaac on October 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Bonefish 15
He makes a lot of great points for why a Christian theocracy would not want to pass such a law. Unfortunately for him, the First Amendment exists.

Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on October 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Nicely done.
Posted by SherBee on October 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
Bonefish 17
FUCK I commented too soon. Don't make my same mistake: watch until the end! It's great!
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on October 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
@15, you might want to watch the WHOLE video before making your comment. I know it's hard given the content of the first two minutes, but it's well worth it.
Posted by Bmesick on October 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Nice :)
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on October 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
This needs to go totally viral. It is THE winning argument.
Posted by nebbish on October 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM · Report this
GoodOmens 21
Well played Sir. If I could compliment him directly, I would.
Posted by GoodOmens on October 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 22
FUCKING AWESOME. *internet kisses*
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on October 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM · Report this
Eva Hopkins 23
I almost didn't make it through that. That guy wins.
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on October 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM · Report this
Wow.

at the end when he says:

"All I have done is simply take out the phrase 'racial integration' and substituted it with the phrase "Polygamy" "

we just got GOOSEBUMPS!

Ain't Freedom and Equality AWESOME!!
Posted by Hypocrisy is so Full of Shit on October 20, 2012 at 5:18 AM · Report this
venomlash 25
@24: That was seriously the dumbest thing I've heard so far this week, and I spent twenty minutes last night on SWTOR arguing with a really bad tank about how elephants sometimes wear armor.
The Bible explicitly condones polygyny. Therefore, an argument against polygamy based on Christian ideology would make no sense.
You might as well have said "animal sacrifice" instead of "polygamy".
Posted by venomlash on October 20, 2012 at 6:25 AM · Report this
I am so sad and scared for our country. God's wrath is far worse than any physical death could be. We ARE inviting His wrath and curses with our behavior. But: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and forgive their sin and will heal their land." II Chronicles 7:14. Unfortunately, history through the ages has shown that we will become much more wicked and cursed by God before we realize the error of our ways and turn back to Him. I love ALL people as each and every one of us are children of God as well as my brother/sister, but I hate the path this country has taken (hate the deed, not the person). It just makes me sad that more people don't realize that we are on a path to destruction.....
Posted by babee_girl 2009 on October 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
@26 Is she bitching about gay marriage or global warming? I can't tell. Maybe that's the point.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on October 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
oh, THAT 28
If you watch the slide show on the linked news story you'll see a quite interesting collection of citizens. I wonder which ones are there in support of the equality amendment?
Posted by oh, THAT on October 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Man, that was truly, utterly, epic. The way he stumbled at just the right time there was priceless. And then "Oh shit, I brought the wrong notes!"

Delivered like a set of brass knuckles right to the teeth, that speech was.
Posted by gromm on October 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM · Report this
@26:

That's funny. Gayness is such an important sin that it was included in the 10 commandments, wasn't it? And on top of that, Jesus spoke about it endlessly.

Oh wait...
Posted by gromm on October 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM · Report this
@26
You are casting pearls before swine, but it is eerie how spot on the quotations became when he substituted homosexuality for segregation.
Posted by Stumbling in Darkness at Noonday on October 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Who would name their child "the Reverend Doctor?" He said that's his name.
Posted by evan2.0 on October 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Amen, motherlickers.
Posted by annieaxe on October 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Mind = blown.
Posted by Galex on October 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM · Report this
boy am i glad i didnt go into berserk mode befor listening to it all ...
Posted by gerbil on October 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM · Report this
Beautiful
Posted by houseoftrash on October 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM · Report this
@24, you're always on here trolling about Polygamy. Are you a third wife or something? Concerned that your hubby's going to be arrested for it? Are you the 15 year old or was that the second wife? If you really want polygamy to be legalized then you definitely have a strong biblical argument. The bible is very pro-polygamy. Luckily we have the first amendment to protect us from insane biblical law.

@26, if gay marriage is going to bring down ultimate biblical destruction on our country wouldn't he start with the countries that have had gay marriage longer? We'll probably get a heads up when fire and brimstone start raining down on Canada. Then a few years later god will vaporize Massachusetts and eventually Iowa. Until that happens I see no reason to assume god will do anything to us for allowing gay marriage. The worst Canada gets from god for it's gay marriage is cold. So, go buy a sweater, equal rights for all!
Posted by Root on October 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 38
Polygamy isn't a sexual orientation. While a man may want multiple wives, he can legally marry someone to whom he is sexually attracted. Without same sex marriage, a gay man cannot legally marry someone to whom he is sexually attracted.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on October 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM · Report this