Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Microsoft Introduces Xbox SmartGlass

Posted by on Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

All right, Mark Budash. The seamless screen synching of everything here is pretty slick, and although it seems doubtful that a lot of people are going to do much internet reading on their television, the movie and music features seem a lot more attractive. Look guys—it suggests bands Mark might like based on the fact that he's listening to Maroon 5! (BARF) Oh, and then Mark said something about sports, but I had already zoned out. THANKS A LOT, MARK.

"Whether you are using a phone, PC, tablet or console that is running our software you have an experience that is distinctively Microsoft, elegant, intuitive and integrated," wrote Yusuf Mehdi, Chief Marketing Officer for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Division, on the Official Microsoft Blog. The idea is to center all of your entertainment around Xbox—the video game console that became such a success Microsoft bought it—making it the hub for all your devices. ("Your phone and tablet will become the best remote controls in your house"!) In a wise move, the app will be compatible with iOS. I've yet to mess with Xbox Music, but I'm gonna go ahead here and doubt that I'd like it as much as iTunes. Want to bet me? (I don't gamble.)

This fall, they'll be pricing the thing at $99 when you sign up for two years of Xbox Live. All in all, this seems like a pretty good move for Microsoft, and even though they're exhibiting their typical lag, it seems like they've made up for lost time. Plus, kids are always asking dad for an Xbox. Give them an Xbox!!! GIVE THEM AN XBOX!!!!! And now dad has an excuse to talk mom into it. "Family movie night, Barb!" (Barb is the hypothetical mom here.) The app drops along with the release of Windows 8,000,000, this Friday.

emor 1
Microsoft bought Xbox because it was successful? What? Microsoft developed it from the start.
Posted by emor on October 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 2
Der. I guess I was thinking of Bungie. I woke up at four in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep. NO SLEEP.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on October 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
thatsnotright 3
Microsoft has moves like Jagger? No wonder they're so hip and cutting edge. This will play well with the soft-rock crowd. I don't understand why Microsoft chooses to market to the 40-ups. It's a losing strategy to make life-style products dressed in mom-jeans.
Posted by thatsnotright on October 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
I'm getting fed up with Explorer. Firefox is sleaker and easier. So, there!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM · Report this
Fnarf 5
No one, but no one, is ever going to want to read any kind of text on a device that's twelve feet away.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
WOW living life on one's sofa watching TV endlessly. It's just like Ferenheit 451.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
@5 WoW is kind of nice on a 42 inch HDTV about that distance.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM · Report this
@2: Microsoft bought Bungie long before they were anywhere near the wildly successful juggernaut of their Halo era. In fact, it could be argued that they were only able to become so successful due to the massive support of MS behind their Halo:CE/Halo 2 projects.
Posted by Sam O. on October 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM · Report this
Fnarf 9
@7, you are an insufferable dipshit. I have ingrown hairs on my ass that I like better than you.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM · Report this
JensR 10
I've tried turning on Microsoft Live for about two years now... to no success (I suck at this I guess). Getting hold of any form of support is just impossible. I think I'll pass...
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on October 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this
JensR 11
I've tried turning on Xbox Live for about two years now... to no success (I suck at this I guess). Getting hold of any form of support is just impossible. I think I'll pass...
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on October 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this
wisepunk 12
iTunes is a giant fuckdouche that can lick my vein encrusted ballsack.
Posted by wisepunk on October 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 13
My wisepunk, what a lovely picture you paint with your words. May I ask what you use instead?
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on October 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Microsoft trying to fill a void nobody has is always good for a laugh. Did you ever wish you could check your stocks on your coffeemaker? Well now you can! Does your TV remote only utilize one of your hands? Problem solved! Does it bother you that you can't make phone calls from your word processor? Hot damn, check this out!

Posted by beef rallard on October 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this