Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reagan Dunn Wants You Dead

Posted by on Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Ohmigod, what an incredibly brutal fucking ad. And the perfect antidote to the misleading/mean-spirited ads Reagan Dunn's out-of-state patrons have been running against Bob Ferguson. Talk about fighting fire with fire.

And it looks like the ad will have some airtime. Over the past few weeks Super PACs supporting Dunn and trashing Ferguson have had the airwaves virtually to themselves, shifting the race into a statistical tie. But the Democratic Attorneys General Association and their local allies are finally fighting back with a $900,000 ad buy. Hope it's not too late.

Brutal, yes. But - and I say this as someone who fervently hopes Dunn loses - possibly also slimy. Under the American criminal justice system, the conviction rate of people who go to trial is incredibly high, especially if the evidence isn't total crap. Also under the American criminal justice system, in a feature I understand is less pronounced in other systems, some of which give such power only to the judge, the prosecutor has the ability to strike a plea bargain where the accused is rewarded for a guilty plea. This means that most people seriously accused of criminal charges "strike a deal with the prosecutor". The only question is whether they're fair deals, or corrupt sweetheart deals. Nothing in this ad says these were examples of the latter.
Posted by Warren Terra on October 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 2
I voted for Bob Ferguson. I can only describe it as "a great feeling."
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
More like fighting shit with shit - but so be it!
Posted by RonK, Seattle on October 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM · Report this
I know this is just a response to Dunn's ridiculous adds ("fighting shit with shit" as RonK mentions above), but isn't cutting deals most of what prosecutors do?

Should we continue to encourage the sort of 'tough on crime' one-upmanship that leads to crazy minimum sentences, expands our prison industrial complex, and unnecessarily disenfranchises segments of our population?
Posted by madcap on October 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM · Report this
Serious question: can someone explain to me why the trolls don't register their commenting names? It's not like you have to pay money. Heck, you don't even really have to use a genuine email address if you're not so inclined. It's nice of them to agree to have their comments automatically censored - but why do they do it?
Posted by Warren Terra on October 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM · Report this
Rotten666 8
Just saw the ad. As ridiculous as the ads against Ferguson. Shit like this make me want to write in a candidate.
Posted by Rotten666 on October 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM · Report this
When you come out swinging low, you deserve to get hit in the balls.
Posted by tacomagirl on October 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM · Report this
Goldy 10
@1 And the $2.5 million worth of ads from a Karl Rove run PAC have been attacking Ferguson as being soft on crime for having worked on the appeal a convicted murderer, while Ferguson was in law school. Giving the accused a competent defense is part of the American legal system too.

I suppose our side could just choose to take the high road AND LOSE. Is that what you'd prefer?
Posted by Goldy on October 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Taking the high road denied us the possibility of having one of the best presidents this country could have had, John Kerry. I for one am glad Dems punch back hard, kick em in the balls and pee on them when they're down.. They're more than glad to do it to you. John Kerry took the high road and they turned him, a war hero pacifist into some pansy coward and a draft dodger president got a second term. Rip their guts out I say.
Posted by SeMe on October 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM · Report this
John Kerry would still be giving his 2004 inaugural speech.
Posted by madcap on October 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Occupy Seattle 14
I voted for Bob Ferguson then laughed my ass off as I imagined the look of utter disbelief on Reagan Dunn's face when he will discover that he's gotten his ass whooped by Bob Ferguson. Again. I hate these scary ass ads by both sides, but I happen to know Bob Ferguson and his record. I know he'll do an awesome job for our state. That's why it pays to get to know these politicians before the election year. Show up to a public hearing. See how they vote, IF they vote. Ferguson isn't gonna be a cowboy bloodthirsty AG that tries to throw everyone in jail for jaywalking. He'll be cool-headed and reasonable and patient, like he's been his entire life. I have a feeling if Reagan Dunn should ever get elected, he'll be so desperate to impress the national Republican leaders that he'd introduce the most extreme criminal sentencing imaginable, just to claim that he's "tough on crime." And he'd be lazy enough to not even think through the details, meaning tons of inner city youths will be locked up in record numbers. Or maybe that will be by design, according to Republican doctrines.
Posted by Occupy Seattle on October 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM · Report this
Occupy Seattle 15
I voted for Bob Ferguson then laughed my ass off as I imagined the look of utter disbelief on Reagan Dunn's face when he will discover that he's gotten his ass whooped by Bob Ferguson. Again. I hate these scary ass ads by both sides, but I happen to know Bob Ferguson and his record. I know he'll do our state proud. That's why it pays to get to know these politicians before the election year. Show up to a public hearing. See how they vote, IF they vote. Ferguson isn't gonna be a blood-thirsty cowboy AG that tries to throw everyone in jail for jaywalking. He'll be cool-headed and reasonable and patient, like he's been his entire life. On the other hand, Reagan doesn't exactly strike me as bipartisan or moderate. Didn't he piss off the entire King County Council by storming off in the middle of a budget session?
Dunn, should he ever become AG, will be so desperate to impress the national Republican big wigs that he'd introduce the most extreme criminal sentencing imaginable, just to claim that he's "tough on crime."
Posted by Occupy Seattle on October 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM · Report this