Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Such Nice People...

Posted by on Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

... and so good with puppies.

Founders of A Darrah Bull Bully Rescue (ADBBR) brought the pups to the first annual Central Pennsylvania Pit Bull Awareness Day on Saturday, October 13. At about 2:00 p.m. Renae Metz, one of the founders, noticed that one of the puppies, Yogi, looked like he was having trouble. “His stomach was bloated, he had glazy eyes and couldn’t hold his head up,” said Metz.

Yogi was rushed to Ebensburg Animal Hospital where he died. The other five pups – Niayah, Mongy, Aramis, Deacon and Takoda – were sent to the animal hospital for observation and given IV fluids. Tragically, Takoda also died.

A necropsy confirmed poisoning. Brittany Miller, another founder of ADBBR, spoke with me by telephone and relayed the veterinarian suspected bleach or a bleach-based product was put in the water bowls. This caused their livers to start bleeding. Two days before, the puppies were given a clean bill of health by the veterinarian.

Wow, you're a fucking dick?
Posted by caltrop_head on October 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM · Report this
Is Kiley seriously implying that Pit Bull rescue people poisoned these puppies? Because that idiotic implication is not supported in the article. In fact it's likely that it was a Pit Bull hater that did it.
Posted by tkc on October 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM · Report this
What #1 and #2 said. The article title/tagline here seem in extreme poor taste.
Posted by B^2 on October 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
Wait, you're insinuating the owner poisoned the dogs, then took them to a dog show, and then to the vet so they could be diagnosed? Do you really not see the huge fucking hole in that logic??
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on October 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 5
Stop telling us the news in puppies! It's never good!
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM · Report this
I'm guessing he was commenting on how fucked the people are who poisoned a whole group of puppies. Right?
Posted by seattlebikeguy on October 23, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
internet_jen 7
Maybe it was some screwed up sanitation procedure, hope they don't have a food handlers permit.
Posted by internet_jen on October 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
What exactly are you trying to say with your headline?
Posted by k-dude on October 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
@6: Really sounds to me like he's talking about the rescue people, with an assumption they're the ones who killed the dogs.
Posted by NateMan on October 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM · Report this
A reverse of the old Slog headline for stories about pit bulls mauling children: "Such nice dogs, and so good with children." But now it's the PEOPLE mauling the PUPPIES!

I know pit bull posts are emotion magnets, but this has already exceeded my expectations.
Posted by Brendan Kiley on October 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM · Report this
I knew what you meant, Brendan. Puppy haters suck.
Posted by originalcinner on October 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM · Report this
emma's bee 12
Poor puppies! My most maladapted rescued dog is also called Yogi, which (illogically) increases my sadness at this inhumane act.
Posted by emma's bee on October 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM · Report this
COMTE 13
Hey, he got 13 comments out of that headline, plus a few more page views - a definite uptick over most of his recent postings.

Oh, wait. Did you people really think this was just about the poisoned puppies? In that case, could I interest you in some waterfront property on Lake Union?
Posted by COMTE on October 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM · Report this
The linked story makes it clear but, without context, the Slog post is a little bit vague.

But it's not as bad as the dog poisoners, who are objectively horrible people.
Posted by floater on October 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM · Report this
Puty 15
Puppy poisoners are monsters.
Posted by Puty on October 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
Amy Kate Horn 16
What the fuck?
Posted by Amy Kate Horn on October 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM · Report this
dirac 17
I get what you were doing there.

Wow. Makes me wish just a little bit that there were a hell for the sick fucks who did that.
Posted by dirac on October 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM · Report this
Zebes 18
I am going to imagine that the water bowl was cleaned with bleach and then not rinsed properly and that it was just a horrible horrible accident, because imagining that someone did this on purpose just makes me mad.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on October 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM · Report this
This is the result of the type of "work" folks like Ellen Taft and Dominic Holden are so fond of. I'm guessing that their response to this would probably be something between "Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs" and "Good riddance. One more pitbull that won't scare the crap out of me".
Posted by clint on October 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM · Report this
Sounds more like the work of assholes inspired by Dan Savage and other pit bull obsessives here at The Stranger. Is that what you are getting at here?
Posted by cracked on October 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM · Report this
venomlash 21
ONE MILLION GUARANTEED REPLIES!
Posted by venomlash on October 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM · Report this
julie russell 22
People suck. When I was with FABB, advocating for pits and other dogs, I got threats all the time that Sickos were going to poison me and my dogs. What the hell is wrong with people?!?
Posted by julie russell http:// on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM · Report this
julie russell 23
And Yay!! That most of the pups survived!
Posted by julie russell http:// on October 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this