Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Election Night Parties

Posted by on Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Lots of people are hosting election night parties next Tuesday. But AHEM! The Stranger has been planning one for years. It's at Showbox at the Market (1426 1st Avenue)—from 4:30 p.m. until whenever it's over—which means those other folks should move their election night parties to other nights. We chose this night first.

Ipso Facto 1
The Free and Equal Elections Foundation second open-party presidential debate with Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, originally planned for today in Washington D.C., has been postponed until November 5th, due to the hurricane.

In the meantime, here are a few perspectives on the merits of voting for Barack Obama:

Chris Hedges at TruthDig:
Why I’m Voting Green

Lawrence O'Donnell on The Last Word (video):
"take a good long look at third-party candidates"

Matt Stoller at Salon:
The progressive case against Obama
(the author has been fiercely criticized for this article and even accused of racism, an accusation Glenn Greenwald dismantles here)

At Black Agenda Report:
Freedom Rider: Not Voting for Obama

At Translation Excercises blog (recommended by Glenn Greenwald):
The Progressive Retreat from Obama: Who is to Blame?
More...
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on October 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
DeaconBlues 2
gonna be at the roanoke
Posted by DeaconBlues http://radzillas.blogspot.com/ on October 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Olo 3
Why does anyone think that anything other than Eyman's initiative will be decided Tuesday night? We'll be lucky to have a governor by Thanksgiving.
Posted by Olo on October 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
bring lots of booze.

and Preparation H.
Posted by Day of Rekoning on October 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM · Report this
Rhett Oracle 5
Just for kicks-planning, what is the official capacity of the Showbox?
Posted by Rhett Oracle on October 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
where is the R74 party?
Posted by happy renter on October 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 7
On a good election night (2008), I've never been happier to be out among a large crowd of people, drinking.

On a bad election night (2004), I've never been happier to be at home, alone, drinking.

Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on October 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM · Report this
I'll be there. Come early if you're attending. The line was literately around the block on 2008 and I'm thinking a bunch of people were turned back. It'll be standing-room only, pretty much, if it's anything like last time. If it looks like Obama's gonna win and you're near the stage, know you'll probably end up baptized with champagne before the night's over. If you're cute and available, you'll probably find the field to be rather favorable. I had a gay guy try to pick me up. Sadly for both of us, I'm not.

All I gotta say, Obama better pull this puppy out. 'Cause if he doesn't, and I have to stand there in front of a big red map with the realization that Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, health care reform, the EPA, the Department of Education, friggin' FEMA, unemployment insurance, student loans, Wall Street reform, consumer protection, voting rights - all this crap we've fought for and won since FDR and will now be going away... I'm going to need somebody to hold me back from jumping into Puget Sound. And that's all I'm gonna say. If, after all these months of Romney acting like a turd in the primaries and the debates and hiding things and not answering questions and giving recycled speeches that could have come from a computer program and putting on that cardboard smile on him - if after all that, America still elects him... we deserve what we get, man.

The future hasn't been written yet, people! There's still time!
Posted by floater on October 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM · Report this
@3 It was settled that way on primary night.

@1 O'Donnell is strongly behind the president, watch his show.
Posted by Seattle14 on October 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 10
I would love to come, but Mr, Vel-DuRay and I always host a neighborhood Election Night Party/Lap Supper (I know that sounds dirty. That's why I like it)

Soup and salad, warm dinner rolls, hot coffee, and LOTS of booze. It's sedate, but there are those of us who love that sort of thing. If Obama wins, it will be a delightful Cole Porter-esque evening of frivolity and well-placed bon mots. If Romney wins, it will be the movie version of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 11
@9: Watch O'Donnell's show? That link is to a video clip from his show. Let's watch that.

I think it's safe to say O'Donnell is strongly behind the opinion he personally expressed in that segment.

Namely, he believes people in swing states should vote with caution, and those in non-swing states should feel free to vote for a candidate who more closely represents their own values (such as one who opposes indefinite detention).

From the clip:

Well Congress did pass that law last year [NDAA], and President Obama signed it, and he never mentioned it on his list of accomplishments, in any of the debates. And he was never asked about it -- not by the media's second favorite debate moderator, Candy Crowley, and not by Mitt Romney. It never came up at the two-party presidential debates. No one pressed the president on how he could possibly sign a bill like that into law, and no one pressed Mitt Romney about why repealing that law is not on his day-one list.

If that law worries you -- if it concerns you in any way -- your concern, your interest in that law, is not represented by either of the two major parties. But at last night's debate, that law was called the "very definition of tyranny".

[...]

If, like most Americans, you live in one of the states where the outcome is predetermined, you should feel absolutely free to take a good long look at third party candidates, and pick one whose ideas you want to encourage. Your vote for the Libertarian or the Green Party will not affect the outcome in state where the president or Mitt Romney has a big lead. But your vote will say something important about what you believe.

[...]

Having spent my lifetime in states irrelevant to the electoral college, I have mostly, in fact, voted for third party candidates for president. And I was always told I was wasting my vote. When I voted for Democrats for president who lost, I was never told I was wasting my vote.

I've actually voted for the winner of the presidency: exactly once. So please don't try to tell me that voting for a candidate who loses is wasting a vote in a democracy.

The other pieces I linked to go even further, and recommend that progressives vote for progressive candidates (i.e. Stein or Anderson) where ever they may live.
More...
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on October 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM · Report this
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on October 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 13
#3

Probably right.

No doubt all the votes behind the radiator will delay the count.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on October 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 14
Oh my god no. I've had it with parties and politics. I will have my little party at home with my roommate and non-slogging friends and then go to bed drunk and crying and wake up, at worst, at least knowing the world is fucked.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
Massive early turn in of ballots in King County means MANY statewide elections will be decided next week.

So there will be some clear results.

Especially if you send your ballot in NOW.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
As to what massive means, 1/3 of all ballots issued are already in and verified for King County.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 31, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
We'll be having the same great party we always have at Neumos and Moe Bar. I don't know if y'all were there 4 years ago when after Obama declared victory 10,000+ took to the streets in Capitol Hill having the time of their lives. It was nothing but pure positivity. I'm looking for the same again, although we may not know about the Presidential Election, hopefully we'll know about some very important local elections.

Hope to see ya there.