Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, November 5, 2012

Molly Moon's Baracky Road Ice Cream Does Not Benefit President Obama or Democratic Causes: What Do You Think?

Posted by on Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

BarackyRoadV2jpg-01.jpg
For the last two months, Seattle chain Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream has been selling Baracky Road ice cream, a mixture of organic dark chocolate, "artisan" vanilla bean marshmallows, and organic hazelnuts. One would think that an election-season ice cream whose name plays off a Democratic president in a very Democratic part of the country would have some sort of a fundraising element. Seattle lefties love buying goods that donate some amount—no matter how small—to good causes. But if you bought a scoop of Baracky Road ice cream thinking that a sliver of the proceeds went toward the Democratic Party or the president's reelection campaign, you were mistaken. In an e-mail to The Stranger today, Molly Moon confirms via e-mail:

the sad story about a flavor like Baracky Road is that there are no proceeds! it's not a profitable flavor given all the delicious (expensive) ingredients that go into it. it's just a fun and super tasty show of support, but not related to campaign donations in any way.

While it's nice of Ms. Moon to put out flavors of ice cream that earn absolutely no profit, I would urge her to find a more successful business model.

Some would argue that the president is basically public property, and that businesses can do whatever they want with a president's name. But others might argue that this ice cream is misleading. We'll leave it up to Slog to decide!

Are you kidding me? There is no controversy here. It is a play on words and nothing else. I bought it. It was delicious. Nothing was misleading. I don't expect Mollly Moon's philanthropy or political donations to be tied to the names of her ice creams.
Posted by T-O-M Tom on November 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Should have used a Theo's Chocolate Congo Bar ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
danindowntown 3
You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with story. You are the last person that should be giving any business advice.
Posted by danindowntown on November 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Pretty sure there's more important shit going on than whatever the fuck is happening at the ice cream shop.
Posted by poohededbaby on November 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Weak! If nobody is profiting, what's the scandal? Moving on...
Posted by Bad Vibrations on November 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM · Report this
yelahneb 6
Oh, Citizens of Slog... why do you never seem to know when you are being trolled?
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on November 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 7
I also heard the City Market doesn't actually have the permission of the various celebrities depicted on its sandwich board. They don't get a penny!
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on November 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Mahtli69 8
In related news, every time you buy vanilla ice cream, the Mormon church baptizes one of your dead ancestors.
Posted by Mahtli69 on November 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
I urge you to cease the manufactured outrage and shut the fuck up.
Posted by beef rallard on November 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM · Report this
How about a "Constant Whinger" flavor - maybe tofu laced with bongwater, road gravel and cat poop?

I know, I know, it's against the law to sell ice cream with cat p[oop in it . . . just like it's against the law for a corporation like Ms. Moon's to contribute to a federal campaign.

I suppose they could toss a scoop of sprinkles to one of the superPACs. Do you want them skimming your ice cream money to feed the superPAC ecosystem? Well, do you?
Posted by RonK, Seattle on November 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
34x42 11
excellent reporting there, chubbs
Posted by 34x42 on November 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
I like ice cream.

Now where's my "I Voted!" sticker?
Posted by seattle'sblackfriend on November 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 13
Great story. Now I'm gonna go pinch a loaf, so this stuff better be cleaned up before the warden gets back.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
DVNODVNO 14
Can't...tell...if trolling...
Posted by DVNODVNO on November 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM · Report this
Dougsf 15
Next you'll be telling me the proceeds from all those Monte Cristos I've ordered don't help get that poor merchant sailor back on his feet after paying his debt to society.
Posted by Dougsf on November 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Fnarf 16
I think Molly already did more for Barack when she testified, repeatedly, at length, in favor of Obamacare and its effect on small businesses, than any amount of sticky coins and dollar bills could do.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this
The beauty of having no profit is that this story could easily be rewritten as "Molly Moon donates 100% (with 10,000,000% matching) of proceeds to Obama with sales of Baracky Road, also to Romney, and to Ron Paul for good measure"
Posted by Teshumai on November 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 18
can't wait for this election to be over.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on November 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 19
I first tried that flavor a few months ago, and it never occurred to me that the proceeds would go to the Democrats. It was pretty tasty, although I'm not a fan of nuts in ice cream.
Posted by keshmeshi on November 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 20
@12 they were handing out I Voted stickers with Cupcakes on W Day.

You snooze, you lossszzzzzzzzz ... ooh, sugar overdose.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
I'm just disappointed that this wasn't part of an ice cream poll to see whether people liked the Obama or Romney flavor more. Maybe it was too hard to come up with a bland, uber-profitable, flavor-changing ice cream?

That said, I'm sad that I cannot eat Baracky Road as I am allergic to hazelnuts. Buh.
Posted by MemeGene on November 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
emor 22
My opinion of Mr. Constant has declined somewhat over the course of this election.
Posted by emor on November 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
JF 23
@13 What a film.
Posted by JF on November 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this
bedipped 24
'tWould be better if their mallows were hoof and snout-free, but props for not calling them marshmallows since they don't use the plant root.

It seems their giving is more local than political.
Posted by bedipped on November 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM · Report this
I would never assume that proceeds from an ice cream cone were going to benefit any political cause unless that was explicitly stated.
Posted by Amanda on November 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this
@16 Fnarf is right. Molly Moon has a history of community and progressive activism, and has fought for, among other issues, paid sick days and health care. She a GOOD citizen. So, yeah, pick a better target.
Posted by alion on November 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
I generally like your writing Paul, but you really stepped in this one. There is no special reason for MM to do anything more than they already have...
Posted by lotus eater on November 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM · Report this
venomlash 28
Donate a nickel to School House Baracky's campaign for every scoop of Baracky Road you sell. Was that so hard?
Posted by venomlash on November 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 29
If they are going to make a Baraky Road then they need to make Mint Romney Chip flavor!
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on November 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 30
@23,
In my all time top ten... sometimes my top five too, depending on my mood.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM · Report this
seandr 31
I was equally shocked to learn that Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben never saw a dime of my syrup and rice money.
Posted by seandr on November 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM · Report this
watchout5 32
This is a really useless article. "Local business lady makes ice cream, courageous journalist has the heart to remind everyone that non-profitable things aren't worth the time of said business lady who specifically said this wasn't about money"

Pro-tip unless someone specifically says at the point of you giving them money that the money is going anywhere but the materials you bought and the labor you used then you probably don't deserve to capitalism.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on November 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM · Report this
It certainly lends an air of confusion to have her do this while surrounded by other businesses (Cupcake Royale, for one) who put out their special flavors with a purpose.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on November 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
Now I kind of want some ice cream.

#29 and it could be money green!

Posted by leviathan on November 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Writers at The Stranger have a nasty tendency to rip holes in local businesses for their small perceived faults. Demonize a local business that's already extremely active in the community for not donating money to a campaign? I don't really understand what this post is trying to get at, but if it's a joke, the humor has missed it's mark.
Posted by Alicia1000 on November 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM · Report this