Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Election Morning News

Posted by on Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

VOTE OR WELL KILL YOU: Click to see our full endorsements.
  • VOTE OR WE'LL KILL YOU: Click to see our full endorsements.

Vote, goddammit! Here in Washington, it's easy. You can even vote by email or fax! Really!

Huh. I guess you don't get what you pay for. After spending a record $4.2 billion on the 2012 presidential and congressional elections, President Obama will still be in the White House, Democrats will still hold about 53 seats in the Senate, and Republicans will still hold a majority in the House. Well played, consultancy class—enjoy your new vacation homes!

Obama Leads Romney 28 to 14! In the electoral equivalent of Groundhogs Day, Dixville Notch and Hart’s Location, New Hampshire tallied the nation's first ballots. Yay for them.

Republicans can't do the math. A few more polls have yet to trickle in, but as it stands Nate Silver's model predicts a 313-225 electoral college victory for President Obama, with a 90.9 percent chance of winning, while Darryl at HA predicts a 309-229 win for Obama, with a 98.8 percent chance of winning.

I predict Mitt Romney will sweep all 792 electoral college votes! There. Now can I get a job as a highly paid conservative pundit?

Long lines at polling places nationwide. Long lines are being reported at polling places today in Florida, Ohio, Missouri, New York, and throughout the nation. Because, you know, Democracy is messy or something.

Hey America, no lines to vote in WA, no voter suppression, and always a paper trail! Hmm. Maybe it's time for national vote-by-mail?

Biden launches 2016 presidential campaign! When asked at his Delaware polling place whether this was the last time he would ever vote for himself, a smiling Vice President Joe Biden replied "No, I don't think so."

I sure hope Maine doesn't steal our thunder by being the first state in the nation to approve same-sex marriage at the polls. Well, actually, I guess I do hope Maine steals our thunder. But, you know. In any case, a new poll shows same-sex marriage up by 4 points in Maine.

US home prices jump most in 6 years. Home prices rose 5 percent year-to-year in September, yet more bad news for Romney's efforts to bash the "Obama economy."

And in non-election news: A new study shows that the proposed coal trains could delay traffic in downtown Seattle and Sodo by an additional 3 hours a day. Of course, reelecting Public Lands Commissioner Peter Goldmark might be our only hope of stopping these trains, so I guess it's kind of an election related item after all.

And finally Nate Silver explaining to Stephen Colbert why he'd rather vote for Ebola than a pundit:

I just read an article on Fox News, "Five Reasons to Vote for Romney". They were mostly about spending and drill baby drilling, but my favorite was the one about how Obama has taken the country way too far to the left and we need Romney to get us back to the center again.

I'd have thought it was a joke, some satire or something, but I'm pretty sure Fox don't do jokes.
Posted by originalcinner on November 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
I just took a glance at the CNN and NBC news websites. Just take my word for it...the level of pure stupid on there right now is beyond anything you have seen on their websites over the past few months.

Just going to the websites you can feel the IQ points draining out of your ears.

And at this point I'm looking forward to Christmas commericals instead of political ads.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 3
"Now can I get a job as a highly paid conservative pundit?"

Only if you look better in a push-up bra than Michelle Malkin or Megyn Kelly. The market for hairy old guys is kinda saturated.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on November 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
Anyone have figures on how the other gay-marriage-voting states are going?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
I felt the IQ points drain out of my ears when you used 'stupid' as a noun.
Posted by Billy Chav on November 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM · Report this
zombie eyes 6
The reverse barb on the hook that is Citizen's United, is that when the big spenders loose, they can say, "see, the money doesn't really matter." Which is, of course, a bullshit argument.
Posted by zombie eyes on November 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM · Report this
eastcoastreader 7
long lines to vote here in CT
Posted by eastcoastreader on November 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 8
@4: Here in Maryland, polling has the upholding of marriage equality to be a pretty fat win, as long as the African Americans are telling the truth to the pollsters. As racist as it sounds, the black community essentially flipped a total 180 on the issue after Obama made his support clear. Thanks Obama.

But if marriage equality fails in Maryland, it will essentially be because the black vote did not support it, helped by the redneck racist west and east tips of the state. But by far the African Americans are the most "against" group in the state statistically.

In Maine, it appears as if marriage equality will win by a very small margin, small enough for the Brady Effect to make a difference. So who knows.

Minnesota will likely be a narrow loss.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM · Report this
stinkbug 9
Stranger peeps, can you consider doing a post about Bob Quinn's death?
Posted by stinkbug on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 10
Err, "Bradley Effect"
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Uncle Joe for President 2016!!!
Posted by Bugnroolet on November 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
I hope that WA is the *fourth* state (because of the time zones) to approve marriage equality at the ballot. But according to #8 above, we might have to settle for third.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on November 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 13
I'd vote Biden. VP's are usually marginallized and made fun of, but the worst they've come up for Joe is that he talks too much. Bush was considered an idiot but he still got in. Twice. (every time I say that I feel like I need a drink)
Posted by Matt the Engineer on November 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this
Republicans would never go for national vote by mail.

It would thwart their plans to dismantle the US Postal Service.
Posted by YellowPup on November 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Free Lunch 15
A two-term Biden would retire at 82. I like Biden, but there's got to be someone younger.

Still, this election isn't in the bag yet. I'll relax if Obama takes Virginia, which would let him lose Florida and Ohio and still win the election.
Posted by Free Lunch on November 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
stinkbug 16
A little more info on Bob Quinn, who apparently committed suicide:

Posted by stinkbug on November 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Goldy I heard vote by mail works here because the political cultural here is clean. Not the case in every state.
Posted by Seattle14 on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
@15 -- It'd be worth it just to hear what pearls of wisdom might fall from 82-year-old Biden's tongue.

And all the Dix in Dixville put together still can't make up their minds ... thank heaven for Hart's Location.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on November 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
@17 it's clean only as the result of many very sordid scandals over the past 50 years.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this