Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Buy Buttons for Kindle Books Disappear from Amazon.com

Posted by on Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Man, the New York publishing industry is going to be livid when it wakes up tomorrow morning. Publisher's Weekly says:

During the evening of November 8, buy buttons were removed from a number of publishers' Kindle titles, including Hachette, Random House, Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and HarperCollins.

According to reports on Twitter, if you've bought Kindle books already, they're still available to you. You just can't buy new ones from the six biggest publishers in the industry. Kindle books from other publishers like Harlequin remain buy-able, so romance fans can rest easy. Amazon.com hasn't commented or released any statement about the matter, so the cause—whether it's a glitch, an infrastructure failure, or if Amazon.com is starting a fight with the Big Six publishers—remains unknown at this hour.

Christampa 1
This is what we get for reelecting Obama.
Posted by Christampa on November 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM · Report this
Posted by boogens on November 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM · Report this
Time for the Justice Dept to take a look at Amazon's practices.
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on November 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM · Report this
Honestly, I'd love to see ebooks die. There's just way too many problems with them, while the alternative is elegant and proven over centuries.
Posted by MRM on November 9, 2012 at 6:45 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 5
@4

The concept of ebooks is great. I'm currently reading a 4 inch thick Dicken's novel, and I'd love to have a slimmer way to carry that around. The execution is what's terrible.
Posted by Asparagus! on November 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 6
Ha ha ha "Dicken's"
Posted by Asparagus! on November 9, 2012 at 7:01 AM · Report this
I have not seen this problem on my kindle, so I guess it is fixed already. Everybody calm down and enjoy reading however you prefer.
Posted by drawn on November 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
You know, you can get an awful lot of those out-of-copyright novels (e.g. Dickens)....for free (e.g. Gutenberg Project) on almost any reader/tablet/laptop/desktop. You can back them up or load them via cable to computer.

Even Amazon hasn't blocked that (yet?) and they are far from the only game in town.

They work (typically awkwardly) with a small subset of library collections.

The screens have improved, the prices dropped and for those of us with increasingly weak vision, they can be a godsend.

They have obvious ways they need to improve but:
I believe they are well worthwhile now for Gutenberg books, non-keeper textbooks, big thick manuals and cheapo read-once books and that opens up shelf space for keepers.

Posted by david on November 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM · Report this
eBooks weren't as great for me as I hoped. I wanted to read books in French without paying the colossal shipping from Canada or France, but there's hardly any availability for Kindle. My peculiar niche market is not catered to. I can get classics, like @8 said, but I don't want Jules Verne, I want the modern stuff.
Posted by originalcinner on November 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Fnarf 10
@4, I feel you. I'm currently halfway through "Master of the Senate" (1232 pages), and recently finished "Lone Star Rising" (more than 800), and both of those were crushing my chest when I tried to read them in bed. I guess I'm not as tough as I used to be. I switched to Kindle. You can get a lot of Kindle (and other ebook formats) out of the library now.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this

seems to have free versions of all Charles Dickens' work including the obscure.

Because of their connection to libraries, and other sources, openlibrary.org also carries free versions of many modern books, as well.
Posted by judybrowni on November 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this

This have available all the books of this version..
Posted by kerriglowe on November 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM · Report this