Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, November 12, 2012

Holy Crap: More Lazy Obama Supporters "Sleeping Till Noon"!

Posted by on Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Responding to our call to those "moochers" who "sleep till noon" and elected Barack Obama president, lots more folks have sent in their stories:

The cast of Don't Trust the B in Apt 23:

Don_t_Trust_the_B_in_Apt_23.jpeg

"Good morning, Cal! Got to set today at 6am! Love, the cast of Don't Trust the B in Apt 23!"

Tele Aadsen:

Tele_Aadsen.jpeg

"My name is Tele Aadsen, and I'm an Alaskan commercial fisherman. My partner and I run our own salmon troller, the 43-foot Nerka. It's just the two of us, catching each fish one by one, cleaning/processing/freezing/glazing them, navigating, maintaining the boat, managing safety, cooking, at sea for weeks at a time. We're up before dawn (that's a 2:45 AM alarm on July 1st) and in our bunk after dusk. One day it took me 10 hours to find time to eat an English muffin.

"When we're not on the water, we're marketing our salmon and supporting the Port Townsend economy with expensive boat projects, while pursuing our own side businesses, me as a writer, he as a landscape photographer. We began crewing on our parents' fishing vessels as small children, learning how to work at an early age and instituting ferocious work ethics. We have some other ethics, too, like supporting clean oceans and clean air, marriage equality, and women's rights. That's why we campaigned for Barack Obama in North Carolina in 2008, why we voted for him this year, and why we'll continue to vote for candidates who share these values."

Lots more after the jump.

Sarah Nezzer:

Sarah_Nezzir.jpeg

"I'm an academic adviser at the University of New Mexico (gasp, I'm a government employee!). I'd love to go back to sleep, but since 8 this morning students have magically appeared in my office asking me questions. Funny how that happens when you voted for Obama."

Mary Baumer:

Mary_Baumer.jpeg

"Hi I'm Mary and I voted for Obama here I am at work every morning from 730 til 430 or later every day. I work for a large international financial services firm, although everyone here but me voted for Romney, I pay taxes I work 40 hrs a week I've never been on welfare or food stamps but my husband did have to claim unemployment for a short period when the market crashed in 2007 under bush's watch and he lost his job....So I guess we are moochers after all.... But he voted for Romney? I guess I'm confused huh maybe if I got more sleep?"

Chris Blakeley:

Chris_Blakeley.jpeg

"Not only am I at work before noon, but I work in manufacturing! Granted, I can't imagine any politician would rush to embrace bondage rope, but still.

I'm Chris Blakeley. I get to work before noon and most days I take more work home. Voting for Obama wasn't simply easy, but thanks to the idiocy of Romney and his enablers, it was a joy."

Ben Oleson:

Ben_Oleson.jpeg

"Sleeping till noon. Shoot, I wish. I am up at 5:30 a.m. everyday, in order to complete paperwork for my landscaping business before the guys show up and we all go out in the field till dusk.

"My background is finance and accounting - which I enjoyed - before I decided to focus on something I enjoyed even more. We are a single income family, so I feel a lot of pressure to make this work. When I work at 110%, we do pretty well...and as soon as I say, "well, this is going okay, maybe I can take a few days off" we are losing money. My wife is more educated and has a better resume than me, but it just worked out it was better financially to put all our chips on the business, rather than her career. (We'll see!)"

"So yeah, I'm a small business owner and a job creator (12 gardeners, all paying taxes.) My support for Obama is not altruistic—I and all my contractor buddies stand to make a lot of money if infrastructure becomes a priority in this country, and if the middle class is too busy working to mow their own lawns, and if we take employee healthcare out of our overhead costs. I voted for the pro-business candidate: Obama."

Joshua M. Collins:

Joshua_Collins.jpeg

"Obama voter. Working today. On a federal holiday. Love that you sort of look like John Waters [he says to Cal Thomas]. Keep up the good work smearing the majority of Americans who you know absolutely nothing about - it's working very well! "

Emily Sullins:

Emily_Sullins.jpeg

"I'm Emily Sullins and I'm up at 7:00 with my almost-two-year-old, Lincoln, every morning. Today I put a pot of milk on the stove first thing to make our yogurt for the week (saves money!), then took the munchkin to the library and a playground (both free) before coming home for lunch. Cooking from scratch, choosing free activities, and eating in most of the time are some of the little choices we make in order to get by comfortably on just my husband's salary while the kid is young. My husband is a Navy veteran, and we're both proud, hardworking supporters of President Obama. Tell Cal Thomas that he can send me some of that delicious government cheese any time he wants, but until then we'll just keep paying our taxes and voting Democrat."

Sean Pfleuger:

seanpfluegerworking.jpeg

"I have two jobs. I'm a non-profit worker by day 9 to 6 and professional singer at night. I pay my taxes and don't own my own house (yet) so I don't get that tax benefit either. I voted for President Obama in '08 and '12 along with the majority of the American public."

WOW! Thanks for the huge response, everyone! We'll be posting these before noon all week. If you're an Obama voters "sleeping till noon," you can email me a photo and a brief description here.

Cato the Younger Younger 1
The only moochers I know of are called political pundits. I mean what do any of them contribute? They are the ultimate takers
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Hallelujah!

My wife and I own our own business. Let me tell you that is hard. And being a capitalist with conscience is harder.

For years we camouflaged our super-liberal leanings so as to not offend potential clients. But as time went on we just couldn't anymore. It was who we are as people and as a business. So we came out and proud as liberals and decided that even where it might lose us money, our principles were going to come first. Not that we were blind ideologues. We will work with anybody. Anybody with compassion and integrity no matter their politics.

After a rough spot business went through the roof. Turns out there are a whole lot of us out there. Not only that some of those big mean old corporations want to work with businesses that respect integrity and principle. Even the "conservative" ones.

Best decision we ever made.
Posted by tkc on November 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 3
Whao, Tele Aadsen has my favorite picture and looks like a total badass!
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on November 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this
unsubscribe
Posted by beef rallard on November 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
unsubscribe incessant_people_who_work_joke
Posted by beef rallard on November 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM · Report this
it's not working. am i supposed to put it in the subject line?
Posted by beef rallard on November 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM · Report this
rob! 7
Re: Ben Oleson, I share your wish that infrastructure becomes a priority in the U.S., but my hopes are not high—we're dead last among developed nations in percent of GDP invested.

Real businesspeople like Ben, as opposed to empty suits and political consultants, understand the importance of building for the future.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
Dude. It's a holiday.

Why did you wake up so early?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
Don't you just hate it when someone can look cute in a cam pic? I need three hours of hair and makeup and Annie Leibovitz in a studio to look a third as charming. Grrr.

Congrats, guys, on your vote, victory, and your pre-dawn successes. Thanks! Never believed the Republican line on who and what were are. Just shows how way out of touch they are.
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Maybe if you try to force this meme a little bit harder it will become relevant/funny
Posted by Reader01 on November 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
the lack of diveristy in slog ardent readership is simply not stunning
Posted by social and econimc justice fruads on November 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
pragmatic 12
@8 A holiday where? Other than government employees, I don't know a single person for whom today is a holiday.
Posted by pragmatic on November 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Schmapdi 13
I sleep till noon, but to be fair, I work till midnight.
Posted by Schmapdi on November 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
SRJ 14
Thanks for creating this meme. The right-wing nutjobs would console themselves that they are better people than Obama-supporters (yeah, that'll win votes!) but here's living, breathing proof that they're full of it. Of course, I only need to look at the hardworking people I know and love who voted for Obama.
Posted by SRJ on November 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 15

So, who's more white as a group...Romney voters, or people featured by SLOG!?!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on November 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
I don't approve of putting a SAHM on this list.
Posted by rolando74 on November 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Slog is filled with guilty white liberals; doesn't that count for something?
Posted by Conservative for Obama on November 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
David Thompson 18
Hey, I crewed on the Nerka in '91! Don Power was the skipper.
Posted by David Thompson on November 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
singing cynic 19
@16, I know it's trite and I don't want to go all mommy wars on you... but I work way harder as a SAHM than I did before I had a kid, when I was a waitress and a teacher. I'm up at 5:30 every day, I'm at a friend's house watching her kid and taking her to school between 6:30 and 8:30, I (like the SAHM in this article) make all our food from scratch to save money, clean, keep the kid entertained, wash cloth diapers, and finally stop at 7:30 when I put my kid to bed. I miss those 8 hour shifts and piles of papers sometimes.
Posted by singing cynic on November 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
@16 - whatever, dude. I'm that SAHM in the picture and Cal Thomas was insulting me along with every other Obama supporter out there. I don't think my work is any less valuable because it doesn't come with a paycheck, one I'd have to sign over to a daycare or nanny if I WAS working outside the home. And one thing's for damn sure: I never, ever sleep in.
Posted by EmilyTakesTokyo on November 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
laterite 21
Holy hell Krysten Ritter is hot. That is all.

Oh, and a big FUCK YOU to @16.
Posted by laterite on November 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM · Report this
The problem isn't that SAHMing isn't work. The problem is that it's sexist and therefore over-celebrated. Providing free labor to men is a terrible idea. And:

"Because if raising the next generation were really all that mattered, we could basically go live in caves and reproduce for all of eternity and call it a day."

Posted by rolando74 on November 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM · Report this
@22, that article and that position has nothing to do with this post. I never said that raising my son was the most important thing in my life (although incidentally, fuck you, it is), but it's what I do with my days NOW, and it's work. Fishing and landscaping and acting and the other jobs of people in this post aren't the only things that matter either, but they're work and they're important. Go sit on a tack.
Posted by EmilyTakesTokyo on November 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM · Report this
@23, jobs shouldn't be segregated by gender. I'd like to hear someone defend the position that they should be.
Posted by rolando74 on November 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM · Report this
You've never heard of a stay at home dad?
Posted by EmilyTakesTokyo on November 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM · Report this
Yes, I've heard of them and they're about 3% of stay-at-home parents and that percentage is not likely to increase. Thanks for proving my point about sexism.
Posted by rolando74 on November 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM · Report this
Can I just send you a photo of my grease-stained work clothes after a second ten-hour day in a row? The rest of me doesn't look much more attractive right now.

(A corollary to the above, that I think deserves a little thought: yesterday was the actual Veteran's Day, and today was the official holiday. I am a veteran, with service during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. In the twenty years since I completed my service and was honorably discharged, I have had Veteran's Day off exactly once.)

Moocher, I am.
Posted by DonServo on November 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM · Report this
Tele Aadsen IS a total badass! There aren't enough words to describe how much good she's done in this world.
Posted by jt on November 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM · Report this
singing cynic 29
@26 you are TOTALLY right. I should get my husband to quit his job which pays our mortgage and provides our healthy insurance, and I'll go back to waitressing and adjunct teaching so that we can prove a point about sexism. I'll also tell my SAHD friends (of which I have many, and who are doing that job for the same reason that I am doing mine - their partner's job is the one that makes more money and provides benefits) that they don't count.
Posted by singing cynic on November 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM · Report this
singing cynic 30
I also think that putting Emily's photo on this list is COMPLETELY relevant to this conversation. Republicans are trying to characterize liberals as lazy non-workers, but in reality they are the people who they claim to be rooting for - working people with families. We're not saying that stay-at-home parenting is harder or a more important job than that of a doctor or a cube-zombie or a fisherman. And we're not saying that all women should be SAHMs. I know that staying home with my son was a reasoned choice that I freely made, and I'm guessing that it was for Emily, too. And isn't choice, and not assuming that our own choices are for everyone else, what feminism (and liberalism) is about? So chill.
Posted by singing cynic on November 13, 2012 at 4:49 AM · Report this
Oh, it's choice feminism now. Give me a break.

Choices have consequences. When millions of women do men's family work for free, it perpetuates the idea that household work is women's work and also provides an unfair advantage to those particular men in the workplace. For this reason, it's irresponsible to suggest (as this column does, by including a SAHM in its list of workers) that being a SAHM is unproblematic.

Look, I know we live in the world we live in. I'm actually not saying that anyone should quit being a SAHM right now (although actually you should consider it; you'd be screwed in the event of a divorce), because the combined stress of unrealistic work expectations (for everyone) and unrealistic parenting expectations (for women only, of course) are very hard on families. But I am saying that we should all pull our heads out of the sand about it. IT'S SEXIST (and don't even get started on SAHDs - that's a total red herring, as I mentioned earlier).

Here, an analogy. I'm a woman and a feminist, and so I strongly believe that men and women should be treated absolutely equally. Yet even so, I present as a woman: I have long hair and wear makeup and jewelry and skirts and heels. That's because even though I don't think men and women should have separate expectations for their appearance, I'm not willing to make the sacrifice of presenting androgynously because our current society would judge me in certain ways (they'd assume I'm letting myself go, or that I'm a lesbian, or that I'm trying to make a statement, or who knows what). But if you asked me if my style of dress is sexist, I wouldn't deny it. Because it is. I might not be happy about that, but that doesn't make it less true.
Posted by rolando74 on November 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
singing cynic 32
Well, you come off as a total dick, so congrats, I guess. By all means, continue assuming that you know everything about people like me because of our choices, continue underestimating our intelligence, continue arguing that your way of life is the only way of life. You'll be sounding more like the patriarchy in no time.
Posted by singing cynic on November 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Your argument is bogus, but even if it weren't, this isn't the place for it! Republicans said Obama voters were lazy and sleep until noon. The Stranger asked for photos of Obama voters not sleeping until noon. I'm one of them and a full-time parent. LEAVE IT ALONE.

As for the argument, how is being a SAHM doing men's family work for free? My husband's salary is OUR MONEY. He "pays" me for the childrearing, cooking, cleaning, and other family work that I do by providing for my needs and contributing to my Roth IRA every month.

I don't care if my life is problematic to you. It allows me to raise my kid, to have a great family life, and to spend some of my time fighting so that other families will have more and better opportunities. If we had single-payer healthcare and a government-subsidized creche daycare on every corner, I would've gone back to work sooner and stopped providing my husband with the "unfair advantage" having a wife at home provides. But we don't, and it is bullshit to blame full-time parents for doing the calculus that says it's better for everyone, me included, for me to stay home while the kid(s) is in diapers.

Bottom line though: this is not the place to have that argument! Lay off and take your agenda elsewhere. I've got work to do.
Posted by EmilyTakesTokyo on November 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
My only argument here is that the population of SAHMs are perpetuating sexism and therefore I don't think it's appropriate to list a SAHM in the accompanying article (so @33 is wrong, the point is relevant). I'll just point out that no one has rebutted this argument. Replying to "SAHM-ism is sexist" with "It works for me" is a non sequitur.
Posted by rolando74 on November 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
By living my life, I'm perpetuating sexism? What if I was a nurse or teacher or another traditionally-female profession? Exactly how radical must my choices be in order to fit with your standards?
Posted by EmilyTakesTokyo on November 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM · Report this
There's a big difference between "traditionally" female and "almost unilaterally" female.
Posted by rolando74 on November 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM · Report this
singing cynic 37
Just like the "feminists are lesbian witches" conservatives, you seem to think that women are all symbols, and not ACTUAL FUCKING PEOPLE.
Posted by singing cynic on November 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this