Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, November 12, 2012

More Obama Voters "Sleeping Till Noon"

Posted by on Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Republicans are still saying all over the place that Obama voters are moochers. They insist they lost the election because Obama voters didn't want to work and sleep till noon.

Here are more of those Obama voters—uh, at work—"sleeping till noon":

Jamie Roberts:

Jamie_Roberts.jpeg

"My name is Jamie Roberts. I work as a technical recruiter and I also live on and run my family’s small farm in east King County. I’m at work from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., but my real work day starts at 6:00 a.m. and ends around 8:00 p.m. when I take the farm related chores into account. My awesome Obama supporting parents own the farm but my boyfriend and I have paid their mortgage along with taxes since they retired to Eastern WA and we took over about two years ago. When I finally sit down for dinner at 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. and flip on the TV to hear a Republican on a 'lazy Obama supporters' tirade I want to have an angry freak out… But after a 14 hour day I’m far too tired for that. I supported Obama and no matter what my crazy extended family says, I stand by my choice!"

Isis:

Isis.jpeg

"Hi, I'm Isis and here I am at 8.30 this morning building custom bicycles. I proudly voted for Obama in my adoptive state of PA. I have been completely financially independent since I graduated college in 2010. I certainly wouldn't MIND sleeping till noon, but that's not what living in this country is about. And the bikes won't build themselves!"

Brad Kahn:

Brad_Kahn.jpeg

"At work at 6:00 a.m. today and most days. Only way to get 10 hours in before I need to be home at 5:00 p.m., to help take care of my kids (my wife works too, and we share child care responsibilities). I started my own business in 2011 and am considering hiring in 2013. I voted for President Obama."

Jennifer Towner:

Jennifer_Towner.jpeg

"My name is Jen and I teach spinning classes at a gym and then I go in to my Job as a paralegal/office manager for a law firm. The only thing I mooch is a leftover sandwich if we have a lunch meeting. I don't think that counts. I voted for Obama and clearly I exist."

Rob Man:

Rob_Man.jpeg
  • Photo by Rob

"Rob in Baltimore, at work before noon."

Patrick S. Tomlinson:

Patrick_Tomlinson.jpeg

"My name is Patrick S. Tomlinson. I'm a full-time writer and part-time comic. I paid $20,000 in taxes last year. I get up before noon, and on the days I don't, I work late into the night. I voted for Obama. Here's a picture of me not existing at a reading in San Diego."

Paul:

Paul_X.jpeg
  • Photo by Paul

"It may take a lot of coffee, but even on a Monday I fight 20 miles of traffic on I-5 NB to make it in by 8."

Caroline Crawford Macdonell:

Caroline_Macdonell.jpeg

"Please send me some welfare checks and stolen food stamps...I'm going to trade them all for crack rocks. This is my first of two jobs. I work about 50-60 hours a week, 20 of those hours in two days, and I am a full time grad student. Did I mention this job entails training and teaching early childhood educators and I spend my one night off a week mentoring high school students? Clearly, I'm lazy, but Mitch Romley never could have thrown me back over the fence ... my family was on the Mayflower. 'Murica!"

Justin Walsh:

Justin_Walsh.jpeg

"I am an ardent supporter of President Obama (and Movember, as my creepy Ron Swanson sweet ‘stache is keen to point out). I was proud to support him in 2008. I am proud to have supported him in 2012. Did I sleep until noon? Nope! I am an attorney in Seattle, and work to defend personal injury cases. I’m up at 5:30 every morning and am in the office by 6:30 every day (including today, even though it’s a Court Holiday). I generally leave the office at about 6:00 p.m."

John Freeman:

John_Freeman.jpeg

"My name is John Freeman and I'm an Obama voter. I'm self employed and was up working at 7:15 with my three year old in my lap, then took the bus downtown to be in a client's office at 8:30. I eagerly pay my taxes and mortgage and have my kid in fantastic Lutheran day care two days week. My wife and I are both the third generations of our families to be self employed and running our own business."

John Mollman:

John_Mollman.jpeg

"Here’s a photo of my slacker-ass Obama-voting self at work at a large software company you may have heard of on the East side of Lake Washington. I got to work at 7 am just like most days so I can leave early enough to pick my kids up after school. Funny the republicans would think I don’t exist, since in theory anyway they’re trying to protect my family from a tax increase when the Bush tax cuts are rolled back for high-income citizens. But you know what? I’m OK with paying more taxes because I engage in some of those weird socialistic activities like driving on roads, breathing air, sending my kids to school, and eating un-tainted food."

Lisa Paul:

Lisa_Paul.jpeg

"I work in a hospitality industry call center. We don't exactly get a choice of shifts, and I pay 2/3 my income in rent. But hey, benefits, right?"

Ian Hoopes:

Ian_Hoopes.jpeg

"I'm a systems admin for a 350-person design and branding firm in Downtown Cincinnati, and I get up every morning at 6:30 for work.

It's really sad to see people say horrible stereotypical things about people who work their buns off for this country. I have Republican friends and they're respectful and can see all sides of an issue, unlike so many conservatives we seem to be dealing with these days. Thanks for your work."

I know that some people want to dismiss the GOP blowhards who say this "moocher" crap as the fringe. And they are idiots, for sure. But this meme is part of the Republican ideology: All wealth or success is the result of people working hard and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, the thinking goes, while all economic struggles or failure is the result of lazy people who want handouts. This notion isn't limited to Romney's 47 percent comment. It's not just Cal Tomas on Fox News saying we have generations of Democrats who sleep till noon. It's not just Rush Limbaugh saying "the only way they're going to have a chance for anything is if somebody comes along and takes from somebody else and gives it to them." This notion is part of the modern Republican DNA.

And it's actually insulting because you can work hard and still struggle—you can struggle doubly hard due to the GOP's economic policies that crashed the economy—and their bullshit can be disproved by sending photos of these moochers "sleeping till noon."

If you're an Obama voters sleeping till noon, you can email me a photo and a brief description here.

Fifty-Two-Eighty 1
I'm sorry, it's not noon yet. I'll get back to you after I wake up. Of course, I'll probably be drunk then.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on November 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
Could some Republican pundit please speculate that Dems are all ugly and look terrible with their shirts off?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM · Report this
pfffter 3
I was going to get up before noon today to get my food stamps but that's tomorrow so I'm going back to bed.
Posted by pfffter on November 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM · Report this
pfffter 4
@2. Perfect.
Posted by pfffter on November 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM · Report this
Chris in Vancouver WA 5
Obama voter with gainful employment here, 7 AM-4 PM M-F.
Posted by Chris in Vancouver WA on November 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
auntie jim 6
I used to sleep till after noon, then get up and work the night shift.
Posted by auntie jim http://www.gaysnohomish.org on November 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
john t 7
Who gives a fuck how early people wake up? Some of us are more productive in the evening, it's a normal human variation. Just because Benjamin Franklin wrote a trite proverb about early risers a couple centuries ago (back when people needed to wake up before sunrise to work on the farm) doesn't mean people who work the night shift are irresponsible or somehow decadent.

I'm glad there are some people who don't get up until after the arbitrary hour of noon, because they can serve my dinner, drive my bus, sort my UPS packages, dispatch 911 calls, keep factories running overnight, layout the next morning's daily newspaper, create art, or whatever.
Posted by john t on November 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
very bad homo 8
I get up at 8:30, but I also work 7 days a week, even holidays. And I paid more taxes than fucking Mitt Romney.
Posted by very bad homo on November 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this
schmacky 9
Hmmm.

I just have to ask: What's the point of this exercise? The entire idea that Obama voters are lazy moochers is so preposterous, it has zero legs and no hope of becoming any sort of a meme. It's just right-wing lunacy once again, the same kind of lunacy the country just resoundingly and forcefully de-pantsed on election night.

So why make a big deal out of it? There is no need to disprove it, or even make fun of it. We don't need examples; we don't need a counter-argument. The emperor not only has no clothes, he isn't even royalty anymore. The emperor is now a peasant.

One could argue that by running this weird campaign to find examples, you actually give this transparently ridiculous idea a small modicum of power. Why bother? It's so dumb, it's beneath incredulity. It's just not worth your (or frankly, our) time.

We won. Time to start acting like it.
Posted by schmacky on November 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Westlake, son! 10
lotsa white people. throw in some charles.
Posted by Westlake, son! on November 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
I'm still in bed and it's almost noon. It's also my only day this week from eight-hour shifts at a 24/7 diner. I'd like these Republicans to try waiting tables for eight hours a day, six days on, before they tell me how to spend a day off.
Posted by Subdued Excitement on November 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
psbirch 12
Per Josh Bis comment on the other post, what we need isn't anecdotal evidence of some dozen or so folks working on a federal holiday, but some cold, hard statistics.

How about getting the financial disclosure information of all the folks who contributed to each of the campaigns and break them out by industry?

If the GOP Meme machine is to be believed, the majority of those contributions would be coming from "Self-Employed Couch Potato." The reality will likely show something quite different.

If the whole country is too much, maybe just take the states that Obama won. Or, if that's too large a sample still, how about just those who contributed to the McKenna and Inslee campaigns here in WA?

Oh wait, I just did.

Of the top 5000 McKenna contributors who listed a profession, the top profession was RETIRED with 673 contributions. President/CEO/Owner types appear to be second in the 500-range, followed by HOMEMAKER in third with 225.

For Inslee the top three would appear to be RETIRED (834), Attorney (727), and then President/CEO/Owner in the 250s.

Retired folks not withstanding, I don't think attorneys and business owners are the types who sleep 'til noon.

I'm sure someone with more than 10 minutes to look at the filing data (here http://www.pdc.wa.gov/servlet/ContribSer…) and more experience with the data than doing a sort uniq could come up with a slightly more accurate and compelling investigation.

Maybe someone who works at a newspaper or something.
Posted by psbirch on November 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
Andy Niable 14
Actually, I *do* sleep til noon... because I work from 4pm to midnight.
Posted by Andy Niable on November 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
bre 15
Sometimes I *do* sleep til noon. I'm gainfully employed as a writer/editor, and I don't mooch or receive any benefits even though I sleep til noon--imagine that! I'm wired to be a night owl, and that doesn't make me a slacker.

I have an awesome work from home job with flexible hours and global teams working in every time zone imaginable, so I have the ability to work later in the day when I'm at my most productive. This awesome flexible-hours job didn't just fall into my lap, either. I actually worked hard to find a job that fits my body's natural rhythms so that I can offer up 110% at work every day, which wouldn't be possible for me at 8 AM, that's for sure.

As someone who has never been a morning person, I must say that we do seem to have an odd cultural stigma about sleeping until noon, and it doesn't just come from the crazy right. What's up with that?
Posted by bre on November 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
These people are probably all lying. They can't be hard workers, because if they were, they'd be wearing either ties or hard hats.
Posted by DreamItReal on November 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM · Report this