Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Did the Trailer for Any Day Now Make You Weepy?

Posted by on Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Slog tipper stinkbug writes, "Can you consider polling Slog readers on whether or not the trailer for Any Day Now made them weepy?"

Only because it's you doing the asking, stinkbug. Here's the trailer:

Now: Are you crying, Slog?

Rotten666 1
I just vomited in my mouth.
Posted by Rotten666 on November 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM · Report this
The Max 2
Gotta say, Nightcrawler gussies up into a surprisingly fetching apparently female person.
Posted by The Max on November 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Everybody tells me this is a really good movie, but I could only get through 50 seconds of the trailer.
Posted by ratzkywatzky on November 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
I got weepy thinking of all the other projects that could have been greenlighted with those resources.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 5
Just curious: is that an actual regional accent that he's pulling off well, or is his character someone who was raised in Long Island/new Zealand/Liverpool/new jersey? Im pretty sure cumming is good with accents, but this one's unfamiliar to me.
Posted by Michael of the Green on November 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
rob! 6
Since the commentary thus far is running at odds with the votes, I'll say that this may resonate more on many levels with people born well before 1980.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 7
@6 - Old people do have bad taste, it's true.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
You are all made of stone.
Posted by longball on November 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
biffp 9
Tell me it's based on a true story and that the kid's issue wasn't added to build sympathy for the couple.
Posted by biffp on November 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
I never cry in movies, at least when I'm supposed to, but this might have gotten me... if the accent hadn't broken in. It brought me to tears... of laughter.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
LogopolisMike 11
I want to get all up in hating this but I can't hate anything that allows me to more easily imagine a gay Garret Dillahunt. Sorry.
Posted by LogopolisMike http://logopolis.typepad.com on November 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Rhett Oracle 12
Any Day Now won SIFF's best audience and actor award. Does anyone know if the film finally found a distributor? The trailer for this does not enthrall, but taken as a whole, ADN is brilliant and Alan Cumming rightly deserves to be nominated for an Oscar. The courtroom drama is particularly spectacular; the audience for this film should appeal to any gay couple who've jumped through the barbed hoops of adoption, especially if you live in a state where legal gay unions are treated with quaint, hateful disdain and are at best an inconvenient embarrassment. @6: Old people didn't cause "Any Day Now" to win all of these awards.
Posted by Rhett Oracle on November 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
LogopolisMike 13
@9 -- yes, apparently it's based on a true story, which given the time period it's set in and all makes the cloying a lot more acceptable. I'm not sure if that makes me a hypocrite or human, but there you go.
Posted by LogopolisMike http://logopolis.typepad.com on November 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 14
I'm weeping WEEPING I tell you.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM · Report this
@5 I agree -- what IS that accent?!
Posted by jhops on November 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Sandiai 16
I clicked tears while thinking, "that accent."
Posted by Sandiai on November 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
stinkbug 17
Thanks.
Posted by stinkbug on November 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM · Report this
rob! 18
Sigh. Sometimes written comments just utterly fail at communicating the desired intent.

Not that anybody should care, but a) I'm old, b) I was affected by this trailer and would watch the movie, c) that said, I think it will be nice when queer cinema kinda goes away as a terra exotica and the queerness of a protagonist is just another wrinkle in the possible fabric of a story.

Off to the wine bottle.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Not crying, because I got too many warm fuzzies from the story. Show me a movie about the institutionalization of adults with Down Syndrome and I'll cry.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Knat 20
Looks better than World War Z, that's for sure.
Posted by Knat on November 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
Trailer didn't quite get me teary, but I am bringing a whole box of kleenex when I go to see it in the theatre.
Posted by Nitidiuscula on November 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM · Report this
the accent the accent the accent the hair the hair the hair
Posted by olive oyl on November 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM · Report this
doloresdaphne 23
1. I really like Alan Cumming because he makes me happy.
2. I'm a fan of seeing more people with Down's on screen.
3. I cried a little
4. What @18 said. (I would prefer this was just a warm fuzzy film about a nice middle aged gay couple who save the neglected Down's syndrome child without it getting all "Gay rights politics / issues " on me.
Posted by doloresdaphne on November 14, 2012 at 4:49 AM · Report this
Any Day Now played the festival circuit and has taken audiences by surprise. It won audience awards at Tribeca, LA Outfest, NAPA, and a host of others- so the story and the acting really resonates with diverse audiences. Alan's performance is outstanding. He also gets to show why he won a Tony for Cabaret by singing in the film. There is quite a bit of buzz about possible Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for Alan's performance. Garrett's performance is amazing as well. I highly recommend this movie.
Posted by XiuXiu on November 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM · Report this