Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Obama Voters "Sleep Till Noon"?

Posted by on Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Yesterday, we wrote about Republican columnist Cal Thomas's comment that Obama voters are a new generation of moochers who want a government handout and "sleep till noon." That's obviously crazy. But this is the modern GOP philosophy. It's routinely spouted on Fox News, radio shows, on campaign trails, and by the party's elite. They believe it. They say half the country doesn't pay taxes, they don't own businesses, and—well—that they don't even work. They say Obama voters who wake up early, work, hard, and pay taxes don't even exist.

But lots of people wrote in yesterday—on a holiday, no less—with their photos of them "sleeping till noon" to prove that they do exist. So dear Fox News, Cal Thomas, Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh, and the rest of the GOP leadership, here are more Obama voters writing about sleeping till noon:

Tara McKernan:

tara_mckernan.JPG

My name is Tara McKernan, I have been a special education teacher for 14 years now. Most days I am at work between 7:30 and 8:00. This picture is of me dropping my son off at school on his first day of first grade. For those who say that teachers only work short hours and not in the summers, I would point out that I spent three hours this Sunday writing an evaluation report for work and will spend more time tonight working on lesson plans. I have never taken a summer off. I am either working in retail, waitressing or tutoring while also taking grad school classes. I started working when I was 13, worked my way through high school and college, and have yet to stop. I pay my taxes, work a lot, and I proudly voted for Obama. Living in Maine I also got the opportunity to support marriage equality. Clearly, I'm contributing to the ruin of America...

Lauren Pangborn:

lauren_pangborn.jpg

I feel cheated. Had I known Republican expectation was so low I would've been sleeping long past noon this whole time instead of going to work for my Dad's small business at 15 and beginning a second part-time job last year! Boy, is there egg on MY face! Oh wait, those are early aging lines due to lack of beauty sleep.

Mark Campos:

mark_campos.jpg

My name is Mark Campos, and I work at a print shop. I was a lazy ass and slept in until six-thirty this morning; I usually am out the door by six to get here. I work a forty hour week, 8 - 4:30 M-F — but I frequently start early and work late and often work through my lunch. Why? Because there is work and it needs to get done. I voted for Obama because I still think he's the smartest guy to run
for President since the turn of the century.

Alison Eastman:

Alison_Eastman.jpg

Hi Dominic! I voted for Obama, and I only hesitated to do so because he's not far left enough. I'm one of those parasitic Ph.D students who gets her tuition AND stipend covered by the NIH. My stipend is considered taxable income, so I pay both state taxes (gotta fix Michigan's decaying infrastructure and shitty, shitty public transportation!) and payroll taxes. I wake up at 9am-ish, and I totally get to lab before 11am, where I do immunology research with a species of anaerobic bacteria- one that causes uterine infections and can kill women after pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion- until 8 at night or so, 5 days a week plus whatever time I have to come in on the weekends and in the middle of the night. Here's me working in the anaerobic chamber on the day after Thanksgiving, taken by my lovely fiance who came into lab with me to keep me company.

Jeniffer Galicia:

jennifer_galicia.JPG

I work Saturday - Wednesday, per our labor contract I observed Veterans Day on the 11th. My other weekend co-worker is on vacation, he would be here too otherwise. But as it is I am the only one in the office today. Processing medical records for the University of Washington Medical Center. Today I got to arrive at my leisure. But tomorrow I clock in at 6AM so I can be off-shift by the time the second shift of employees arrive.

Braden Michaelsen:

braden_michaelsen.jpg

Hi Dom, I meant to write in earlier this morning, but I was too busy "sleeping in" (ie working). Working full time at a computer hardware distributor in Ballard in both sales and shipping. I start anywhere between 7 and 9 every morning and usually work past 6...In addition to the full time job I'm also training to be a fire fighter. I proudly pay my taxes with zero loopholes, and I supported Obama!

Sean Wilkins:

Sean_Wilkins.jpg

Loading in the scenery for Christmas Carol at ACT theater. In addition to working at ACT, I also do freelance stagehand work. I am on day 22 and counting without a day off. Many of my peers are working a similar schedule. We all pay our fair share of taxes without complaining. We contribute to society with the work we do to support culture in the city, and as consumers that support local business.

Rae Cirricione:

Rae_Cirricione.jpg

My name is Rae Cirricione. I work more than full time in the event industry—from August through October I never had 2 days off in a row. The latest I get to sleep in is 6:15 a.m., but depending on the trade show I might have to be actually at work by that time. I voted for Obama, and I'll continue to vote for candidates who believe I exist!

Michael Starling:

michael_starling.jpg

Veteran. Civil Engineer. Used GI Bill and student loans, and worked 30 hrs/week to get thru school. Home owner. Tax payer. Donate to charity. At work by 7 every day.

Gregory Smith:

gregory_smith.jpg

In addition to an Obama supporter I'm a residential designer and builder in Olympia, WA. In addition to running those two businesses, my wife and I take care of 2 cats, 7 chickens, 5 goats, 4,000 bees and a 10 y.o. kid. We built our own house from the ground up. Most days we're up before 7am; goats need milking. My wife is a Naturopath in Olympia, and as a primary care physician is on call 24-7. Sleeping til noon? Not in 15 years.

Andrew Riley:

andrew_riley.jpg

I work two jobs. I spent this Saturday (as I do every other week) working from 5 am to 11 pm, escorting a team of high school speech & debate students to a competition. I got up early yesterday and headed to Seattle (I live and work in Portland) for a conference on racial profiling with my day job - I'm a policy wonk for a community-based organization working for immigrant & refugee rights. I'm working from 7am to 7pm today—who needs a holiday?—and tomorrow. Would that I could sleep til noon. Or even have a weekend.

Amy Smith:

amy_smith.jpg

Hi, my name is Amy and I am an Obama voter who does sleep til noon... as measured in the US. I moved to Australia seven years ago and voted for Obama in 2008 and this year by mail (I vote in California). I work in Sydney as an environmental engineer for a private consultancy and when I got up this morning it was noon on the west coast and 3 PM on the east. Of course, it was 7 AM here.

Rebecca Crawford:

rebecca_crawford.jpg

I'm Rebecca Crawford, and I voted for Obama. I teach high school English and AVID. I get up at 5:00 a.m. and get to school at about 6:45, when I set up my classroom for the day. (Unless it's the second Tuesday of the month, when I get to school at 6:20 in time for the staff meeting at 6:30.) I'm on my feet all day teaching teenagers (which I love, by the way) until school ends at 2:10. Then on Mondays and Tuesdays, I run an after-school tutoring program in the cafeteria for students who are having trouble passing their classes. I have Building Leadership Team meetings on the second Wednesday of the month, and then department and AVID team meetings on pretty much every Thursday. On non-meeting days, I work with kids. I'm usually done with meetings by about 4:00 and then I stay at school for another couple of hours to grade. I get home around six or seven (sometimes earlier, sometimes later), at which point I start to plan for the next day.

Spencer Windes:

spencer_windes.jpg

Here I am with the lights on because it's not light in my office yet (plus, Movember 'stache pic!). It's well before noon in my office and before midnight in Seattle since I actually live and work as an American expat in Holland. Because I live overseas, I collect no benefits at all from the American government, including social security or unemployment. However, since the US is one of the only countries on the planet that requires its citizens to continue to pay taxes while resident abroad, I still get to pay (albeit at a discounted rate) for the services Cal Thomas is using back in the States. That's right, I pay taxes for which I receive absolutely, positively nothing, and Cal Thomas is riding free off of me. Like many expats, I voted by absentee ballot for Obama, who here in Holland would be the conservative candidate. Oh and by the way, this socialist hellhole the Netherlands, whose new government is a coalition of right and left, has an unemployment rate of 5.4 percent. Moochers!

Ezra Bennett:

ezra_bennett.jpg

My partner is a union representative for a small local here in town. She represents hundreds of foods and commercial workers, nursing home employees and the like. She also devotes a lot of time to help worthy candidates get elected (this cycle, she pretty much ran rick Nolan's Duluth campaign) I'm addition to sitting on a pension board and a few other community services committees. On average, she's out of the house about three nights a week."

I work from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at a small family owned coffee roasting company. I have done this every day (a scant sick day and earned vacation excluded of course) for the last nine years. Clearly, we don't sleep til noon. Often, we run on little sleep.

Are you an Obama voter who's working before noon? Do you actually exist? Send me a photo of you at work (with a brief message to Thomas, Romney, Limbaugh, etc. if you like) and I'll post em. Send 'em here.

you're fat
Posted by please back up a little.... on November 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 2
A side benefit of this running series is getting to learn about all the fascinating people who also read Slog!
Posted by Jenny from the Block on November 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 3
This is just as interesting as the previous four were.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on November 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
I wish I could get my spouse to take a picture of himself at work, but his work place won't allow it. He fits the republican demographic of well paid older white male.
Oh wait - he's well educated and that fits in more with the democrat demographic.
Posted by old engineer on November 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
schmacky 5
Sorry...I still think this is pointless and unnecessary. No matter how many of these you post, no matter how blindingly obvious the incorrectness of the right's belief system, they won't stop believing it. They don't operate via logic and reasoning; the only thing they understand is winning and losing.

But happily, they lost. Let me say it again: THEY LOST. And unless the left screws it up or, somehow, they evolve, they'll keep losing, because the demographics have permanently turned against them.

When your enemies are making mistakes, don't interrupt them. So let them say stupid shit like this, and get out of the way.
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM · Report this
@2++
Posted by Ancient Sumerian on November 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 7
@5) No one is making you read it.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Rotten666 8
Rebecca Crawford is HOT.
Posted by Rotten666 on November 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 9
@Schmacky- it's all about independents and the perrenial undecideds. Show them, over and over, why the progressives are the better choice.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on November 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Wow, Slog is whiter than a Mitt Romney rally.
Posted by Whitopia on November 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
TVDinner 11
I, too, am finding this series both engaging and inspiring. Get on with your bad selves, hardworking Obama supporters!
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 12
@5 - I think we all know that they aren't interested in logic. Just enjoy everyone's stories. I'm loving getting a glimpse at the cool work that sane, intelligent people are doing every day, keep 'em coming :)
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on November 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
schmacky 13
Hey, I'm enjoying everyone's stories, in just annoyed at feeling like we have to respond to every imbecilic belief they put out there.

If Cal Thomas goes on Hannity and says all Obama voters eat babies for breakfast, will The Stranger start posting photos of people eating corned beef hash?
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 14
@13) Stop being deliberately obtuse. This isn't just one imbecilic belief. This isn't just one statement, as the post explains. This is a key component of the modern GOP's core political philosophy--and it deserves to be earnestly mocked.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
I like it. Keep posting them.
Posted by tkc on November 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this
I'm enjoying it.
Posted by MLM on November 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 17
@1: How about you send in a picture of yourself then, rather than seek shelter in internet anonymity?

I would rather be fat than a cowardly internet tough guy hiding behind a computer.

Do it, if you are not afraid to have your statements attached to your picture.

But you won't. You are a coward.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM · Report this
Lovely photos and stories! I am at work by 5:30 am each and every weekday myself (but way too ugly to photograph. LOL!).

This reminds me of the 47% response videos that sprang up during the campaign season.

Keep the stories/photos coming!
Posted by Patricia Kayden on November 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Cornichon 19
I second @15's comment. This is important stuff. It's a self-portrait of Slog readership, an unprecedented record of what it means to live in America in the 21st century. Not anonymous comment trolls but real people. Awesome.
Posted by Cornichon http://cornichon.org on November 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 20
@19) Thanks, dad!
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Chelydra_serpentina 21
Does anyone in Olympia who sleeps 'til noon "sleep" at a place that's hiring? Everyone I've ever worked for (including my current part-time job) will tell you I'm intelligent, hard-working, easy to get along with, and pretty damn good at anything you can throw at me.

My résumé, on the other hand, will tell you I've been spending the last 20 years farting around and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. (As Dilbert once said, intelligence has far less practical application than you'd think.)
Posted by Chelydra_serpentina on November 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
It's a good series, but I for one favor not engaging in this discussion with the Cal Thomases of the world. Let them go unrebutted, continue misinforming their mush-brained audience, and drag the entire GOP apparatus to the bottom of the fucking ocean.
Posted by podcaf on November 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
schmacky 23
Dominic, I love ya, and I swear I'm not trying to be obtuse. I just think that after the election we just had, it's simply not necessary to mock the crazy shit these people say, even if--especially if--it's a "core component" of their belief structure. In my view, the left is best served right now by letting the other side's stupidity stand nakedly on its own. It's been exposed. The nightmare is over. The right isn't going to win anymore, at least not anytime remotely soon, with this whole pitting people against each other thing. The country's demographics have now made that strategy untenable. The more they do it, the more they'll lose. Maybe that's overly optimistic, but I really feel there's been a shift. Their bullshit just stinks too much.

I like reading these...love hearing about people's lives and the cool/hard/sincere work they do. But you're blowing the lid off the fact that people are amazing and work hard and vote Democrat, and that is so completely unnecessary. You risk legitimizing their rank argument by responding to it, by dignifying it with a response.

If this is really at the core of what they believe--and I think you're right about that--then it just makes them look that much worse with the majority of voters for putting such a demonstrably ridiculous and offensive theme at the heart of their entire philosophy.

Keep posting stories. I like them, everyone likes them. I'm aware I'm in the minority here based on the comment thread, and maybe this kind of due diligence, if I may call it that, is necessary. I would just say we need to start acting like winners, and stop being so defensive. Let these idiots hang themselves. We don't have to help them do it.
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
That was nice. Now we just need Mark-at-the-print-shop's digits.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 25
@23
The only problem with taking the high road is that - when a lie is repeated often enough - people will actually believe it. We've just seen how much, as incredulous as many of the lies were. But these people - with real names and occupations - are saying IT'S NOT TRUE, SO STOP MAKING THIS SHIT UP.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on November 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
TacomaRoma 26
Shout out to Sean! Roosevelt class of '88 represent!
Posted by TacomaRoma on November 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM · Report this
schmacky 27
@25...I totally get what you're saying. But my point is that we are now in a different world. If Dominic launched this series on November 5th, it would be fine. But in my view a tipping point, or whatever you want to call it, has been reached. The right wing lie machine is crippled. The election results are so far out of line with the shit they were peddling, they've lost a crucial sliver of credibility. As of November 7th, Roger Ailes, Limbaugh, Karl Rove, Dick Morris, and all the other lying gasbags are bordering on being comic figures. They were exposed. Everybody caught on, or at least a majority did.

Thrre will be stops and starts, and 48% of the country are still delusional, listening to the wrong people, etc. But that percentage is dropping, and now, for the first time in a long, long while, the right has to actually say something worth refuting before anyone should bother.
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM · Report this