Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Watch a Walmart Spokesman Squirm When Asked About the Poor Treatment of Workers

Posted by on Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM

ThinkProgress posted this great video of David Tovar, Walmart's Vice President of Communications, being forced to address his company's shitty treatment of workers on CNN:

This is noteworthy because Walmart has been called upon to publicly address their terrible policies many times in the past, but they've never actively tried to combat those charges before. And for the record, Tovar's claims that Walmart has a "very strict retaliation, um, anti-retaliation policy" smells like bullshit to me. When I worked there (for a month when I was 19), I had to watch a terrible anti-union video in the first few hours of my employment. Walmart is as actively anti-employee as a business can be without inciting all-out revolt. I hope the Black Friday employee walkout brings more attention to the shameful way this company does business.

Will in Seattle 1
You should see CNBC gloating over the destruction of the Hostess union.

Face it, if they can profit from the destruction of America, the Bankers will enjoy doing so. They have no patriotism and no loyalty to America.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Worst spokesman ever.
Posted by Luckier on November 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 3
Wal-Mart is an incredibly wealthy company, and this was the best guy they could hire? Where did he learn his communication skills, Liberty University?
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
@3, no, the college degree would have cost too much....he's a product of a charter school
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
"So how much DO Walmart workers make?" "Well, some of them make 12.40 an hour, and I won't mention that that comes out to only $25k, and I also won't dispute your claim that the average wage is 15.5k a year"
Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
Americans want CHEAP products. Hence the current situation. When Americans are prepared to pay for quality, workers will have quality wages. It's simple.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this

I just got back from Wal*Mart and was there last night as well.

No sign of anything except a lot of people shopping like mad.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Ya Sure Ya Betcha 8
It's also shameful how much in service fees the Stranger charges for a ticket.
Posted by Ya Sure Ya Betcha on November 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
COMTE 9
WalMart isn't just anti-employee, they're anti-everybody-who-doesn't-have-the-last-name-of-Wall. What they do to their own employees is just symptomatic of how they treat everyone in their supply-chain.

When I worked for a local dairy company, and our sales staff went in for their first meeting in Bentonville with the WalMart National Purchasing Rep, they actually insisted we sell our products to them at BELOW manufacturing costs, using the logic that we would make up the loss because of all the additional volume, oh, and if it's really that big of a deal, you can just upcharge all your other customers for the difference.

That was their attitude: "we're so big we can not only fuck YOU in the ass, we can make you fuck all your other customers in the ass as well."
Posted by COMTE on November 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
@6,

That doesn't explain why other retailers manage to pay their employees better and still offer cheap goods. Aside from stuff specifically on sale*, Wal-Mart's prices aren't that great compared to its competitors, probably because, in many part of the country, Wal-Mart has no competitors.

*And the whole point of sales is to draw people in and get them to buy mostly full-price products. Americans aren't getting as good a deal as they assume at Wal-Mart, but it's also my experience that Americans are extremely penny wise, pound foolish.
Posted by keshmeshi on November 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 11
@6 Wal Mart can do that right now AND pay a decent living wage for its employees. You & the other apologists are always forgetting the third quality: profit. American corporations these days want a *much* higher profit margin than in the past. It's not that they can't have their profit, low prices, and pay decent wages. They want HUGE profit, pure & simple. If they could get it by killing their workers & selling the meat, they would. They don't because it's not as profitable as their current model.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 21, 2012 at 2:46 PM · Report this
Knat 12
How did this guy get to be a senior VP of such a large company? I thought mastery of an on-camera smarmy, slimy smile was part of the job requirement. Clearly, this guy doesn't posses one.
Posted by Knat on November 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
This spokesperson looks like a rabbit frozen by the headlights of an oncoming car. Almost as bad, his clothes and his hair look sloppy. His language is teen-aged ("Black Friday is going to be awesome.") In short, the stink of failure clings to him.
Posted by Charlie Mas on November 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
sidewinder 14
Walk out is two words.
Posted by sidewinder on November 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
Posted by long-time reader on November 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
It's because they're not used to ANY of their actions or policies being questioned. Ever. Period.
Posted by Pope Buck I on November 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
As a reminder, the Walton family now owns more wealth than the bottom 40% of Americans. But fuck paying a living wage to their workers.

Posted by Tent_Liberation_Army on November 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM · Report this
I worked for Wally when I was a teenager. Since I was female I was payed as a cashier. Keep in mind that I would sometimes be assigned to stock (which pays more), but still be paid a cashiers wage. And I'd forgotten all the horrible anti-union crap. I think I was even required to sign something that stated I wouldn't participate in any unions, which hardly seems legal since I was a minor. Glad those days are behind me!
Posted by Snezzer on November 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM · Report this
I warmed forthem back in the eighties, when the stores actually closed at nine p.m. We would stay until midnight or one a.m. making sure the store was clean and ready to open in the morning. Before the floor staff could leave, we would have to get in a line and file past the managers. The women were required to let the managers inspect the contents of their purses, and the men were required to turn their pockets inside out. The message from management was, essentially, "We know you must be stealing, because you couldn't possibly make an honest living on what we pay you."
Posted by Clayton on November 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 20
@14 Listen to the way anyone actually says compound words like walkout, workout, etc that are used as verbs and nouns. In my experience, the verb form is always pronounced as two separate words, while the noun is one word. It drives me nuts to see someone write "I'm gonna go workout now," because no one I know says it that way.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on November 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this