Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Thursday, November 22, 2012

What Are You Making for Thanksgiving?

Posted by on Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Fresh baked dinner rolls and chocolate pinwheel cookies are my contribution to tonights Thanksgiving dinner.
  • Goldy | The Stranger
  • Fresh baked dinner rolls and chocolate pinwheel cookies are my contribution to tonight's Thanksgiving dinner.

The turkey may be the centerpiece of most Thanksgiving meals, but unless you're hosting dinner, you're not likely roasting one. The rest of us are usually relied upon to bring a side dish or dessert, or perhaps most importantly, a decent bottle of wine.

I was asked to bring some dinner rolls, so I adapted a foolproof pain a l'ancienne recipe accordingly. But it isn't truly Thanksgiving for me and my daughter without my grandmother's chocolate pinwheel cookies, so I baked up a batch of those too.

So... what are you making for Thanksgiving? And is it a labor of love, or just the obligation of a gracious guest?

i made an apple pie. i tried something weird and am not sure if it will work. i made a traditional apple pie, but with the addition of curry powder and cayenne pepper.
Posted by good shit on November 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 2
cerleriac and fennel soup, roast leg of lamb ( because turkey, why ? ) duck and sage cornbread dressing , cranberry rhubarb compote. somebody's bringing greens, i prefer flash fried collards - do it in a wok with onions, crushed red pepper , sea salt and subsitute finely minced anchovies for pig meat - but i can't do EVERYthing ) and a sweetpotaoe saute with mushrooms and bacon - because , pig meat ) and somebody's brinigng dessert, but pumpkin pie? meh.. give me mom's old fashioned sweet potato pie and lots and lots of wine., cognac to finish and a chocolate covered rice krispie treat to celebrate legal weed !!! yay !
thanks
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Goldy 3
@2 Can I come to your house? I've got rolls and cookies?
Posted by Goldy on November 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
husband is in charge of the turkey, but I make a festive, unusual side dish: pumpkin/garbanzo/ginger casserole (from a real pumpkin, steamed, and mixed with garbanzos, grated ginger, sauteed onions, celery, water chestnuts, garlic, wine, raisins, dates, herbs & spices, then baked ... used to bake it in another pumpkin and call it "stuffed pumpkin," but no room since now there is that turkey in the oven), mmmm, labor of love
Posted by pumpkin eater on November 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
I wanna go to Riz's house, too... I'm doing a pumpkin mac & cheese as a nod to tradition, the Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread Cake (the best gingerbread I've ever had) and Maida Heatter's Palm Beach Brownies, the ones with a layer of peppermit patties in the middle because, well...Peppermint Patty, the true star of Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving. Somebody elae is doing the braised short ribs and cornbread. Also, lots and lots of bourbon. Tradition!
Posted by M. Wells on November 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
I am a guest and I am doing the turkey (deep fried) along with asparagus and chantrells with melted sarvecchio and strawberry molasses custard pie with a choice of honey sweetened whipped cream or spiced mexican chocolate mousse topping.
Posted by wl on November 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Oh and yams
Posted by wl on November 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 8
@3 you can ..but because i'm a preacher nobody can eat until we pray first
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Riz, sounds like you cook greens like my Mom. She brings the pan up to temp, shuts of the flame then stirs in the greens. Crisp and oily, yum.
Posted by wl on November 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 10
The lovely Future Mrs. Dr. Awesome baked a gluten-free strawberry-rhubarb pie for me, just like last year. The rest of the spread is traditional: Turkey, stuffing (regular & gluten-free) and all the rest. Thanks to her conservative mother's firm 'no politics' rule dinner with the eastern Washington kin will be pleasant and enjoyable, although the conversation does tilt heavily towards guns, huntin', and the best 4-by-4 for off-roadin'.

I only get to enjoy a fresh-baked strawberry-rhubarb pie once a year, and the kin are good people, so it's a good day.

After dinner I usually do most of the dishes, something I don't mind, especially since we will have cracked open many bottles of good wine.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on November 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 11
Grilled cheese and vodka.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on November 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 12
I made a pumpkin pie, from a mother fuckin pumpkin.

I do want to try that bread recipe, I once baked all my own bread for a year as an experiment. I should start doing it again.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on November 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
I'm cooking everything... turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, broccoli cheese casserole, yam crumble, cranberries, and collard greens with bacon. It's all homemade. The only thing I'm cheating on is the pie. Ms. Callender is in charge of that.
Posted by captdrastic on November 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Homemade pecan pie. I made my fiancé's brother whimper with delight the first time he tasted it.
Posted by Jenkitty on November 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Turkey breast, dressing (Mrs. Cubbison's cornbread, with dry hard cider as the liquid component), purple mashed potatoes, gravy, asparagus, and a mostly-homemade apple pie (ready-rolled crusts are your friend) for dessert. Accompanied by a nice 2010 California chardonnay. Burp.
Posted by DonServo on November 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
We went to my father in law's, so I just made two desserts: decadent chocolate cake (as good as it sounds) and a banana-cranberry-walnut bread. I was going to make a sweet potato pie, but my husband convinced me that it would be overkill. Wouldn't you know it? Hubbie's brother and nephew kept asking, "How come there's no sweet potato pie?" I promised to make it up to them at Christmas.
Posted by Clayton on November 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
the pinwheel cookies that my great-grandmother made are a tradition at my thanksgiving, too. glad to see them on yours.
Posted by jayme on November 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 18
I love deserts more than anything. I made pumpkin cheesecake.

Oh, and next year I'm gonna figure out how to get an invitation to Reverend Dr DJ Riz's place, because that spread sounds way more awesome than what I'm having tonight.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 19
Steamed cauliflower with cheese. Just bringing it along.

Our big meal is on the winter solstice (because Christmas, why?), and that's when I'll do a roast leg of lamb like @ 2. And I'm going to seriously consider some of those side dishes for that meal, too.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
We're heading to the 5-Point for dinner because we don't have family here and haven't hooked into a Friendsgiving tradition. But for breakfast/brunch, I made biscuits and gravy, and when I get back, I'm going to experiment with making a cranberry vodka relish with apple cider and candied lemon peel instead of orange zest.
Posted by MissEli on November 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
It's just me and my fiance this year and a friend from work who's bringing the turkey, so it's pretty generic. We made green bean casserole and potatoes, stovestop stuffing, canned cranberry sauce and then the roll recipe that's been passed through my fiance's family for several generations and a pumpkin pie recipe I got from a roommate's mother years ago.
Posted by J from Oregon on November 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
sperifera 22
@1 - That sounds awesome. How was it?
Posted by sperifera on November 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 23
I did an apple cider brine for my turkey breast (it's just me and the boyfriend this year), Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, homemade cranberry sauce, and pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust.
Posted by keshmeshi on November 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM · Report this
internet_jen 24
We were assigned "cornbread or rolls", we brought Pumpkin Cornbread, Creamed Cornbread, Cheese/Garlic/Scallion Biscuits, and Candied Bacon (bring a bowl of cooked bacon and you're everyones favorite).
Posted by internet_jen on November 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM · Report this
I made turkey with cornbread-hazelnut stuffing, cranberry-orange sauce, succotash, maple-walnut pie, and a vegan squash pie. Friends contributed roasted veg, mashed potatoes, a turnip and fennel dish, apple cake and peanut butter fudge. We drank hot apple cider spiked with Drambuie.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM · Report this
Jessica 26
The toddler's a plague rat, so we canceled on our original plans and stayed home: turkey breast, sweet potato casserole with candied pecans, pear-gorgonzola salad, mashed potatoes, gravy, three kinds of cranberry sauce, dressing, and my first crack at pecan pie (delicious!). Checked in on my abandoned hosts an hour ago, apparently the pecan pie at their gathering wasn't cooked all the way and the hostess has spent the past two hours with her head in the toilet. BULLET DODGED, thanks to a croupy kid.
Posted by Jessica on November 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM · Report this
COMTE 27
Annual "orphans Thanksgiving" with friends in Ballard. They do the main course (turkey, natch), and we bring the sides & desserts. My contribution this year was a scratch pumpkin pie, oven-roasted root vegetables for the veggies/vegans, and my famous "crack-a-ronni-and-cheese" (AKA "the heart-stopper): rigatoni baked in a six cheese bechamel sauce with diced bacon and topped with crumbled potato chips.

There was more, oh so much more I didn't even get to before feeling stuffed (including a rather intriguing-looking field roast Wellington). And of course, wine. Lots and lots of wine.
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on November 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM · Report this
Hosted friends. We made slow-braised turkey thighs with sage and thyme accompanied by sage/onion/pumpkin; roasted fennels finished with cream and parmigiano; roasted turkey breast; pork loin cooked slowly in milk; roast sweet potatoes; cranberry sauce; pears in red wine.. friends brought kale, polenta with mushrooms, Italian spinach pudding, salads, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pies, pavlova and a cranberry flan. Yum.
Posted by rainandkale on November 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM · Report this
Wow!
I did grated brussels sprouts sauteed in butter, with lemon juice (had it at Etta's a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Mine needs a little tweaking.
Pumpkin rissotto, a recipe I learned in Italy and it never lets you down!
Posted by crone on November 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 30

Future Note: When buying what you think is a small fresh 7 lb turkey, perfect for a few people, be sure to note whether it says turkey or "turkey breast" on the wrapper. While it worked out fine, somehow the original sight of an amputated, drumstickless, wingless, breast was disconcerting, when unexpectd.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on November 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM · Report this
And the breast carcass is now simmering away for a turkey, mushroom and rice soup. And there was pie for breakfast. Life Is Good.
Posted by DonServo on November 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this